carbs or possibly something else

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefP

Reaction score
Hello all. So I get back from vacation and decide to go for a quick ride...and the bike runs like azz. Couldn't even get it to run off choke. After 15 minutes, it will run, but back fires, pops and generally runs crappy. When I parked it, it was running PERFECT. It sat for about 3 weeks. I'm posting this here as I'm wondering if it could be something other than carbs. Its an 05, with 5200 miles on it. I had let it sit before (about 4 weeks) and had to shotgun it and resync carbs. I'm heading out to the garage now to do it again, but surely it should be able to sit for a month with fresh gas in it? Could it be something else? I had some new plugs so I put them in, but no change. I don't get to ride much...but it needs to be ready when I am! lol. :bang head:

If I know I will not run my bike within 2 weeks I always add seafoam or even stabul and run it till i know treated gas is in the carbs . I would shotgun it first check fuel filter and drain bowls just to see what if any crap has passed thru .

If your gas is like the stuff they sell here in Ma, 3 weeks is pushing it unless stabilizer is added. I'd drain the bowls and put some Seafoam in the tank. BG products work well too. I hope a teardown isn't in your future.

thanks all. I'll keep at it. I have sea foam and stabil, just didn't think to use it for just a few weeks = lesson learned!

You might try buying gas from a totally different source too. It sounds as if you are buying the most inferior product available.....and perhaps....someone is cheating on the Ethanol content? I think the higher % E, the quicker it would want to separate and/or turn to chit.

Stations here in MO are starting to offer 91 Octane NO E for a change. You could try to steer clear of the E entirely and probably be much better off for storage purposes even when using Seafoam or Staybl products.

Startron is a great additive when any gas sits for a long time. I prefer it to Stabil. Used in marinas for years as boats sit for long periods without starting. Used even before ethanol was added to gas. Only available at marinas and boating stores till word got out how well it works and now is available everywhere, even Wal-Mart.

She's purring like a kitten and I haven't even synced the carbs. I only use Shell gas, not much more to choose from here. I'll try some of that Starton. This last weekend I power washed my driveway. Gas in that thing was 6 months old and it started first pull and ran perfect... Anyway, lesson learned. There will be something in that tank, every tank, from now on. Thanks guys. Now I just need to ride it!

She's purring like a kitten and I haven't even synced the carbs. I only use Shell gas, not much more to choose from here. I'll try some of that Starton. This last weekend I power washed my driveway. Gas in that thing was 6 months old and it started first pull and ran perfect... Anyway, lesson learned. There will be something in that tank, every tank, from now on. Thanks guys. Now I just need to ride it!

What did you end up doing? P-Shoot/Shotgun? Or just shot in Seafoam?

Back