Shopping for a new max any years I should watch out for?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveish1006

Reaction score
So I am shopping for a new v max right now :eusa_dance: I am between a 98 and a 90. however I am worried about how old these babies are and if there were any issues in those years :ummm: there is another i have my eye on but I dont know the year :confused2: so any information will be useful.

The newer the better IMO.
The ignition changed to digital electronic in 1990, along with some modest changes to the wiring harness, pickup coils and the flywheel. Also the starter went from a 2-pole motor to a 4-pole motor in 1990.
In 1993 larger Forks and better brakes were added
In 1996 the block was changed and had a Spin-on Oil Filter and a Better R/R was used.
And 1999 and newer had a few more upgrades (like updated Oil Assembly, Shifter Fork, etc.).

But no matter what year you look at be sure to test drive it and run it up to 8K rpm or so in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear to make sure it doesn't jump out of gear at all. (ONLY After the Bike is warmed up !!!!!)

I have a very clean 1990 that just came in. 11K miles on it. Did a carb clean on it last year and he rode it 23 miles after that. Going to put stock exhaust and stock carbs back on it. Looking at $3k range and a guarantee from me though I may work with you a little on price if we have to ship.

Bad part is you just missed the delivery train. My parents were just down in Tampa a couple of weeks ago! We can always ship too.

Sean

Be sure to check 2nd gear in the old maxes. Transmission trouble was somewhat common with the bike popping into neutral after grabbing second. Was usual with older bikes with about 20k miles or so. Other than that, any year is a winner as long as it wasn't beat hard. Good luck....

Back