project pipe dream

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethrobolas

Reaction score
A thread was posted with a link to a guy that was on a dirt bike that jumped off a ski jump. He also rode it down a bobsled chute. In many of the shots the bike had 17s with sport bike tires. Supermotard or sumo for short. Several manufacturers make bikes like these that are plated for the street.
Problem is, I really like 2 stroke over 4. You see where I am going with this. Hence the name "pipe dream".

Picked this up Monday. Long story goes with the acquisition of the bike, because I am an idiot.:bang head: Step one complete. Not sure if I will be able to wiggle a street title out of the Indiana BMV for this frame. Been doing some reading and it seems doable with some persistence and a bit of luck. If not, then the search for a dual sport donor frame that comes with a streetable title.

This will be a SLOW process. Hell, I may loose intrest. But I've been wanting to do one for a long time. Pushed in the garage and haven't taken any other pics yet. I rode it and I is tired, neglected, and ugly but it is complete and it still pulls like a tractor. Putting in 4th at idle in a bean field and twist the wrist, I'm digging trenches NOW, long and deep.

Attachments

• 20141216_185245.jpg
    20141216_185245.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 48
A thread was posted with a link to a guy that was on a dirt bike that jumped off a ski jump. He also rode it down a bobsled chute. In many of the shots the bike had 17s with sport bike tires. Supermotard or sumo for short. Several manufacturers make bikes like these that are plated for the street.
Problem is, I really like 2 stroke over 4. You see where I am going with this. Hence the name "pipe dream".

Picked this up Monday. Long story goes with the acquisition of the bike, because I am an idiot.:bang head: Step one complete. Not sure if I will be able to wiggle a street title out of the Indiana BMV for this frame. Been doing some reading and it seems doable with some persistence and a bit of luck. If not, then the search for a dual sport donor frame that comes with a streetable title.

This will be a SLOW process. Hell, I may loose intrest. But I've been wanting to do one for a long time. Pushed in the garage and haven't taken any other pics yet. I rode it and I is tired, neglected, and ugly but it is complete and it still pulls like a tractor. Putting in 4th at idle in a bean field and twist the wrist, I'm digging trenches NOW, long and deep.

So, KX500 I'm guessing?

I am skeptical about getting it licensed for the street, unless you place the engine into a legal frame. If you get stopped w/it like that, you probably risk confiscation & a heavy fine. Why don't you just put 17's on it and use it for an autocross-type or motard bike?

I have no-idea how you could license it as-is for the street, because it's not an approved powerplant, not to-mention the lights, horn, mirrors, etc.

It has been and supposedly can still be done as far as paperwork. Change of body style forms, police inspection for required d.o.t. items, on and on. Lighting coils are already available, and so are kits for everything like lights, brake line pressure sensors, signals, fold away mirrors.
No emissions issues here, they don't even smog the cars out here in the boonies.

Easier route may be finding a suitable frame to modify, but I would definitely be doing it to a dual sport frame to keep it what it is.

Not practical for a day to day commuter, but sure would be fun to play with when I'm in the mood. Medic, there is a guy on kx riders forum that has exactly what I would like to do, plates on the original frame and all out in Florida. Think his screen name is sandblaster.

And yes, it is a 500. I considered using a cr, but the kx has a better engine for what I am looking for. The only big - bore mxer with a power valve for a much stronger bottom - end pull.

Last time I looked at doing something about making a non-compliant vehicle, you had to use a (I think it was) 1973 or older engine and the body/frame had to be older than that too. If you used something newer for the engine, you had to meet the regulations of the year of the powerplant. That was years-ago, and for a car, so things may have changed.

I have too-many things to do to look up the FL mcy regs but there is no-way in hades that a two-stroke could be legally-licensed unless you had some-sort of farm exemption, and I think you need a GVW of 3 tons or something for that, which kinda puts the kibosh on the KX500 power-to-weight ratio.

Remember Jesse James recently paid some huge fine for building non-compliant motorcycles, to the cost of hundreds of thousands of $$$$.

That guy may have a FL plate on his bike but either someone inspecting the bike didn't do/know/enforce the regulations, or he installed a four-stroke 250 in it and then swapped it out. I have never tried to do what he did, but I do have several two-stroke Yamaha singles from the early 1970's and they are already legal.

Last time I looked at doing something about making a non-compliant vehicle, you had to use a (I think it was) 1973 or older engine and the body/frame had to be older than that too. If you used something newer for the engine, you had to meet the regulations of the year of the powerplant. That was years-ago, and for a car, so things may have changed.

I have too-many things to do to look up the FL mcy regs but there is no-way in hades that a two-stroke could be legally-licensed unless you had some-sort of farm exemption, and I think you need a GVW of 3 tons or something for that, which kinda puts the kibosh on the KX500 power-to-weight ratio.

Remember Jesse James recently paid some huge fine for building non-compliant motorcycles, to the cost of hundreds of thousands of $$$$.

That guy may have a FL plate on his bike but either someone inspecting the bike didn't do/know/enforce the regulations, or he installed a four-stroke 250 in it and then swapped it out. I have never tried to do what he did, but I do have several two-stroke Yamaha singles from the early 1970's and they are already legal.

I've been researching the same type of thing (xr650r) here in Iowa and talked to the inspector and he basically said that if the bike in question doesn't have a FSL (Federal Safety Label) then you won't be able to get a plate for it. Good luck in Indiana but definitely not doable here in Iowa.

I say if it's something you really want to do then go for it don't let other ppl get in your way, honestly with the new 4 strokes out there I'm not sure goin 2 smoke is really that much of and advantage but then again I can't figure out for the life of me why Harley's are so popular either LOL ! go for it and have fun !

Back