Gas Mileage???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane_desselle

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea of why my 07 is getting such crappy gas mileage? I'm getting far less than 100 miles before my fuel light comes on. The bike seems to be running fine as far as i can tell but I've only had the bike for a few weeks. It only has 6,500 miles on it. I traded my 06 R1 for it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20150210_184627.jpg
    20150210_184627.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 19
At 6500 miles the engine is still tight and yet to be fully broken in. I'd guess average is 100-120 miles before the light? A lot depends on how you ride and how you fill up. There is a size able air pocket in the tank that could get you short on miles before the light. You'll see Vmax riders sometimes shaking their ride to get more fuel in the tank. 40 mpg is possible, dogging it home at a steady throttle. So is 28 mpg in hooligan mode.
There is a thread for introduction here. http://162.210.36.140/showthread.php?t=1873 Welcome Shane.
Steve-o

Well it depends if you are in town...or on the highway. My 07 in town....would go 93-97 miles before the fuel light would come on. It was set for the fuel light to come on at 3.2 gallons of use.

I tended to get better mileage on the highway, but even then 105 miles before the fuel light came on, was about the best it ever got in stock form.

OH.....just so your aware, the Vmax came out in 85....and only made a few changes thru 07. In car terms your driving the equivalent of a 70 Hemi Cuda. Gas mileage....fair. Cornering....fair. Brakes....fair.

Straight line acceleration....AWESOME. :punk:

OH.....just so your aware, the Vmax came out in 85....and only made a few changes thru 07. In car terms your driving the equivalent of a 70 Hemi Cuda. Gas mileage....fair. Cornering....fair. Brakes....fair.

Straight line acceleration....AWESOME.

+100

Welcome Shane.

2007 with under 10k miles. Not uncommon, but that's an awful lot of sitting around.
Runs fine compared to what? How many VMaxs have you ridden?

Both of mine where good for 105-115 in the winter and 115-125 in the summer
Or as low as 80-85 under real aggressive riding.

I wonder if they did any jetting changes when the put the slip-ons on it

Mine is 1985 with 11,000 miles, stock and after rebuilding the carbs ( they were clean and only one paj clogged) the only change i made was changing the stock 100 air jet (california) to a 90. NOTHING ELSE on the bike has been changed except Venture Royale calipers. I am amazed at how clean the motor, frame and all the electronics below the seat and above the motor are. I set the a/f mixture screws with a carbtune for max vacuum (weekly) and sync the carbs afterwards. 3 1/2 turns out with iridium plugs- sea level at the mojave desert.
I get 44mpg daily driving.:biglaugh:

Last edited:
Twitchy nerves in the right wrist, especially with in-town riding, will not help fuel economy.

How steady is your right hand???

Thanks for the replies, everyone. This is the first vmax I've ever ridden but it starts, idles and runs fine so I guess the carbs are ok. I built one of the coke bottle synchronizers and I'm about to attempt to sync my carbs. I'm used to riding an R1 so i guess my right wrist is pretty twitchy...lol Sean, I have no idea about whether the rejetted the carbs and I've been wondering because it also has a K&N filter. Short of pulling the carbs, is there any way to tell if the jets have been changed?

Oh, I also pulled the end caps off of these kerkers and there is very little packing inside at all so I'm guessing this is hurting my bottom end torque? Can anyone tell me how much packing should be around the baffle?

I am getting into my fifth month of owning my first Vmax and the need for speed still growing by the day. I am now riding regularly top 130 mph average 70 mph. This week the fuel light came on at 89 miles! Never got more than 100 miles before so I guess going full throttle is the reason for the lower efficiency.

Thanks, Sean. I sent you a message. Vmax1968, I'm sure my heavy throttle hand has something to do with my crappy gas mileage. I wonder why Yamaha put such a small gas tank on this bike?

Latest posts

Back