Upgraded to a Gen 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax1968

Reaction score
Finally found a great deal on a 2009 Gen 2 I could not resist. Here are few pics, bike is at the dealer getting the recalls work done.

Last edited:
No budget left for any mods for a while

Sent via Tapatalk Lumia 1520

Congratulations! Best of luck with the bike,you are going to love it.

Do you have 100% confidence in the dealership doing the recall work?

Are you aware of the nightmare stories of recalls gone wrong?

Not trying to a scare you......but trying to save you some major grief.

First time taking it to Riva Motorsports. The original owner of the bike purchased it there and got it serviced with no issues at all. I did read some bad stories in the forum about the recall. Rather take the chance with the dealer than having the bike stalling while riding.....

From the Yamaha website:
The reason for this recall: On affected motorcycles, high oil pressure can build up inside the oil pump causing it to malfunction. If this happens, oil will stop pumping through the engine, resulting in severe engine damage that can cause the engine to stall and not restart again, resulting in the possibility of a crash with injury or death.

Congratulations! Best of luck with the bike,you are going to love it.

Do you have 100% confidence in the dealership doing the recall work?

Are you aware of the nightmare stories of recalls gone wrong?

Not trying to a scare you......but trying to save you some major grief.

Don't assume they can do it correctly. You are risking your entire investment.

I'm working right now and posting from my phone....I can give you more information and advice later today, if you're interested.

I'm working right now and posting from my phone....I can give you more information and advice later today, if you're interested.

Sure thing I am always interested in learning and get advise. Thanks!

If you're taking it to Riva in Pompano Beach, ask that Bill Boyce works on it. A friend of mine, and his VMax factory shop mechanic experience goes back to the intro of the Gen 1, and before.

Here's Bill, and a couple of his rides, which he shows at the local AMCA show in Dania Beach FL. An early 1960's Yamaha and a Bultaco Metralla in the café-racer style, both are just gorgeous. I was lusting after a Metralla when I was in high school in the mid-1960's, and had no chance of owning one. The Honda 305 Superhawk w/a Yetman frame was an acceptable alternative, I couldn't afford that either. I do have a Superhawk now (pictured) awaiting it's turn.

Attachments

• iphone pictures 6-26-2014 297.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 297.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 26
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 298.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 298.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 25
  • iphone pictures 6-26-2014 294.jpg
    iphone pictures 6-26-2014 294.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 26
Ok, so I could post about 10 pages on this subject....but here is a quick synopsis.

Yamaha issued an oil pump recall because of a pump failure, rumor has it, on a bike that was running at high speed on the Autobahn. Nobody really knows when and where this one time event happened. Out of extreme caution Yamaha did the right thing and issued a recall to replace the pump with a different part. THAT was when all the problems started.

Numerous pumps were installed incorrectly by incompetent mechanics at Yamaha dealerships and quite a few engines were ruined. Sadly even after Yamaha sent out a another bulletin describing how the part could be installed wrong and what to check to make sure it was correctly installed, more pumps were put in wrong and more engines were destroyed.

So......although this repair is relatively simple (can be done in 30 minutes) I would not trust the work to be done by a mechanic unless I knew his level of competency and then only after I personally spoke to him about how it can be done wrong and the history of all the trashed engines.

There are probably 200 pages of information on the http://www.starvmax.com/forum
but here are some a couple of post's for you to read. I believe these are the first and last of the engines to be ruined.

BTW the DEALER cost on a new engine is around 10K.

http://www.starvmax.com/kunena/12-g...-pump-recall-horror-has-happened?limitstart=0

http://www.starvmax.com/kunena/12-g...hink-i-m-screwed-oil-pump-recall?limitstart=0

Thanks for the info! Will mail the service manger to ask for Bill to work on my bike.

Cheers,

Marcelo

If you're taking it to Riva in Pompano Beach, ask that Bill Boyce works on it. A friend of mine, and his VMax factory shop mechanic experience goes back to the intro of the Gen 1, and before.

Here's Bill, and a couple of his rides, which he shows at the local AMCA show in Dania Beach FL. An early 1960's Yamaha and a Bultaco Metralla in the café-racer style, both are just gorgeous. I was lusting after a Metralla when I was in high school in the mid-1960's, and had no chance of owning one. The Honda 305 Superhawk w/a Yetman frame was an acceptable alternative, I couldn't afford that either. I do have a Superhawk now (pictured) awaiting it's turn.

Man those are some bad stories. I requested to have Bill do the work on my bike and asked the dealer if they have experience with this recall already on other bikes. It is concerning but I am still going to get it done. Will keep you posted on the story.

Thanks!

Ok, so I could post about 10 pages on this subject....but here is a quick synopsis.

Yamaha issued an oil pump recall because of a pump failure, rumor has it, on a bike that was running at high speed on the Autobahn. Nobody really knows when and where this one time event happened. Out of extreme caution Yamaha did the right thing and issued a recall to replace the pump with a different part. THAT was when all the problems started.

Numerous pumps were installed incorrectly by incompetent mechanics at Yamaha dealerships and quite a few engines were ruined. Sadly even after Yamaha sent out a another bulletin describing how the part could be installed wrong and what to check to make sure it was correctly installed, more pumps were put in wrong and more engines were destroyed.

So......although this repair is relatively simple (can be done in 30 minutes) I would not trust the work to be done by a mechanic unless I knew his level of competency and then only after I personally spoke to him about how it can be done wrong and the history of all the trashed engines.

There are probably 200 pages of information on the http://www.starvmax.com/forum
but here are some a couple of post's for you to read. I believe these are the first and last of the engines to be ruined.

BTW the DEALER cost on a new engine is around 10K.

http://www.starvmax.com/kunena/12-g...-pump-recall-horror-has-happened?limitstart=0

http://www.starvmax.com/kunena/12-g...hink-i-m-screwed-oil-pump-recall?limitstart=0

Man those are some bad stories. I requested to have Bill do the work on my bike and asked the dealer if they have experience with this recall already on other bikes. It is concerning but I am still going to get it done. Will keep you posted on the story.

Thanks!

Yes...real bad stories, I'd literally get sick to my stomach reading them after a while

That's great that there is some one there who you can trust to do the work. Making them aware of all the mistakes that have been made is a good idea as well, just so that they are extra careful.

Thanks!

Yes...real bad stories, I'd literally feel sick to my stomach reading them.

That's great that there is some one there who you can trust to do the work. Making them aware of all the mistakes that have been made is a good idea as well, just so that they are extra careful.

No budget left for any mods for a while

Sent via Tapatalk Lumia 1520

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: I said the very same thing when I first got my 09. Great thought, but it only lasted the better part of two months before the Monkey bite hurt too much to ignore. :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Congrats on your Gen II purchase.

I am still keeping my eyes and ears open for the perfect deal on a Vmax. With this recall being needed on 09 and 10 year models (I hope I am correct about this), is this a year model to avoid? I only ask because if you take a 5-6 year old bike into a dealership, and they screw it up, will they still replace the engine? I have owned quite a few bikes, and I know that kawasaki is pretty good about recals, but suzuki will try to wiggle there way out of any recall or warrenty work. I have only owned 1 yamaha, and it was a 97 fzr600 (my first bike). There were no problems and I never took it to a yamaha dealer for service. It may be up to 12 months before I get a Vmax, but I want to know that I can count on the company doing the right thing by me. Since I am not a mechanic, I wouldn't know what to look for when the recall is being done and would have to rely on them to take care of things for me.

Back