Is it worth putting forks from a 96 onto an 88?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swoosebag

Reaction score
I just bought an 88 Vmax without progressive springs. The bike came with a set of forks from a 96 that are thicker (I guess?). Do I need to bother switching to the 96 forks if I put progressive springs in the original forks? :ummm:

Well with the 96 forks, you get the larger diameter forks, and bigger brakes. Either way, you will probably still have to put progressive springs in either....but if you got the brakes, rotors, etc with the 96.....IMHO, its the way to go.

Yes by all means upgrade to the 43 mm dia forks. They are stiffer, you can use R1 brakes, and any upgrades like springs or a brace will be much better than the 40 mm tubes you have now. Did they come w/the triple trees? If so it's pretty much a straight swap. Change out the steering head bearings when you do it as yours are 27 yr. old. probably. The lower outer race may present some issues in it's removal. Search the forum for more detailed info on this. Since you already have the forks, this should be a relatively cheap mod and you will be very pleased w/the improvement in handling & braking. R1 blue or gold dot calipers or FZR1000 six piston calipers, HH pads, and you will be very happy w/the end results. No need for a new brake master cyl w/the R1 calipers either.

You will need the 1993+ 298 mm stock VMax rotors for the forks.

Speaking from the other side of the coin....I have an '86 and also had a completely rebuilt 43mm '96 front end. Debated long and hard about this same decision your are facing now....finally decided to rebuild and chrome the '86 stock front end, install progressive springs, rebuild the front master, calipers and install new brake pads and couldn't be happier. Handles great and stops on a dime!

And paid for the whole deal by selling the '96 front end. :punk:

Speaking from the other side of the coin....I have an '86 and also had a completely rebuilt 43mm '96 front end. Debated long and hard about this same decision your are facing now....finally decided to rebuild and chrome the '86 stock front end, install progressive springs, rebuild the front master, calipers and install new brake pads and couldn't be happier. Handles great and stops on a dime!

And paid for the whole deal by selling the '96 front end. :punk:
I don't have any issues with my early forks other than they don't have the super duper cool bug protectors like the 2002 - 2007 models do. I have progressive springs, ricor intiminator valves, rebuilt the lowers with factory parts and last but not least I have Jedi's trick adjustable spring rate fork caps, in red to match bike. I also added 6 pot Tokico brake calipers for super duper great braking. Bike now handles and stops better than ever, and handled the Tail of the Dragon curves with aplomb and finesse!

:biglaugh:

Early front is just fine as is mentioned. Just get some brake upgrades from us and be happy!

I have both on my 89 and 94 both have springs and emulators. Not a lot of difference other than brakes. Springs make the world of difference from stock. Oh also lowering 1" internally. Helps keep the front end down and avoid the $1000 + wheelie fine.

Back