Removing baked on plastic from pipes??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne z

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a large spot of baked on plastic on a header pipe from a tarp that got scorched.

Any tips or experience for removing it? It is baked hard and almost like a ceramic. Amy solvents that might help? Maybe a copper or aluminum scraper?
Thanks,
Wayne

Yes, chrome pipes. Did a youtube search, Oven cleaner hot and wood scraper works. Edge of nickel works cold. Nickel won't scratch chrome.

OK, here's what I did. There was a 2" x 6" spot of baked on plastic on this
sportster I just adopted. The PO put several hundred miles on it like this and the plastic was baked hard almost like ceramic.

I know that stainless steel is softer than chrome from my experience with using SS wire brushes to clean up rusty chrome. No matter how aggressive you attack most chrome with a ss brush, ya can't scratch it.

So I tried scraping this header pipe area with a sharp edged SS mechanic's rule, and it was rather stubborn and took a rather aggressive touch to get results. But it was good results in the end. Afrer scraping and a light polish with 4-0 steel wool, the plastic is completly gone, not a scratch, like it was never there.

Dremel has a SS wheel you should use.

I have a box of those that I do use some for cleaning chrome. Not nearly aggressive enough for this job. The ruler, pushed like a chisel, chipped and spalled the thick plastic film away with little difficulty, just took patience because of the very narrow contact area of the scraper on the pipe.

Latest posts

Back