rear tail light stays on?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TampaMax

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my rear tail light on my 85' max. Light stays on even with key out with the ignition in the off position? Removed the seat and I unplugged a one wire(red) connection that lead to the two terminal coil looking thing right on the top. Rear light turned off but now I have no rear running light. Brake light still works but not the parking light. Any ideas?

Anthony

I'm having a problem with my rear tail light on my 85' max. Light stays on even with key out with the ignition in the off position? Removed the seat and I unplugged a one wire(red) connection that lead to the two terminal coil looking thing right on the top. Rear light turned off but now I have no rear running light. Brake light still works but not the parking light. Any ideas?

Anthony

Not sure what's going on here, Anthony - the stock '85 wiring to the tail/brake light assembly has three wires - black (ground), yellow(brake) and blue(tail/park lights) NO RED WIRE FEEDS THE TAILLIGHT. Maybe a previous owner had installed a brake light module? Perhaps you should post a pic of the "coil looking thing", and the wires connected to it.
If the wiring is stock- I'd say check the ignition switch connector, located under the faux tank. They are prone to failure. If the red wire (always live, direct from the battery) happens to touch the blue wire, the parking/tail light filament of the rear brake/tail bulbs will be on, regardless of ignition switch position.
Many folks eliminate this connector completely, by using three individual butt connectors and heat-shrink tubing.
Cheers!

Now I just can't find the ignition switch connector. This is what I see under the faux tank and under the ignition cover.

20150731_161807.jpg

20150731_161820.jpg

The rear brake switch should have some adjustment to it and it is hooked to your brake pedal- back it out a few turns until it turns off.

That wire you unhooked (the red one with the white connector) comes from the main fuse which is in the square rubber thing to the left. Brake switch seems like a good idea to check. That thing you see under the faux tank is the airbox. It is secured with four screws to the tops of the carbs at the rubber boots. Lift it off, and you'll be able to fish out the part of the wiring harness Miles is talking about. Your wires look so clean! I'm envious.

Anyway. You won't be able to see the ignition red/blue/brown wires without loosening the two 10mm bolts holding the ignition core bracket to the frame. Once you do that, you'll see where the wires go.

Now I just can't find the ignition switch connector. This is what I see under the faux tank and under the ignition cover.

But you did find it!
It's that top one, with the brown, red, and blue wires.

Attachments

• ignition switch connector(top).jpg
    ignition switch connector(top).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 14
Back