Do our kids know how to deal with cops?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
This is a follow up to the murder victim in Chicago. How do we prevent this from happening to our own? a couple years ago I had a long conversation with my lawyer regarding police, detectives, rights, tactics and choices. I also have a mentor that practices law on the west coast and have heard plenty from him. My experiences as a troubled youth reinforce what I have learned and I only wish I had learned it when I was 15.

We have a set of lessons we try to teach our kids about how to navigate life successful and not end up in trouble. It's different for our daughters and sons as they will likely have different sets of standards and measures they must take to protect themselves. How they deal with cops is important to their survival. I felt compelled to share some of what I learned and extended to my kids. The following assumes you have already coached them on not doing stupid shit that draws cops. First and foremost I coached my kids to be law abiding citizens but this is no longer a guarantee of anything.

1. Be polite.

2. The cop has a gun, do what he says and don't argue, keep your hands in plain sight and no sudden moves. Never argue, see #3.

3. Shut the fuck up. He is trained to get you to relax and spout incriminating information. He is NOT your friend, politely decline to speak about anything other than your basic information like name, address et al.

4. You DO NOT owe the cop an explanation of where your headed or where your coming from, but NEVER be a cocky asshole about not telling him. I just don't answer questions not directly relevant to the interaction. You CAN be polite and respectful while protecting your privacy.

5. NEVER, NEVER take a roadside sobriety test. I don't drink and I would never take one per my lawyer who defends many DUI cases. If it comes down to it you consent to a blood test at the hospital.

6. Do you know why I pulled you over today? (correct answer) No officer, I thought I was driving safely. (incorrect answer) I might have been going a little fast there, I'll slow it down. Remember shut the fuck up, his sole purpose in life is not to get you to slow down but to write you a citation and generate revenue for his department. From the moment you see his face he is mining for evidence against you, don't offer it up on a silver platter. Dont make your first words to him a confession of anything. Your lawyer knows how to deal with speeding tickets and DUIs and he will not be pleased that you got verbal diarrhea.

7. I'm sorry officer, with all due respect I really dont want to talk. Your own statements often slam dunk you in court.

8. Reiterate. Never be cocky or douchy, always yes sir/no sir, have some respect and be decent, the cops job is really a dangerous one so do not forget to be polite. The idea is not to challenge his authority, the idea is to preserve your privacy, freedom and life.

Detectives: If your ever asked to talk to a detective decline, shut the fuck up!! You dont have to talk, if they threaten you with arrest let them do it. Call your lawyer immediately and do what he says. When they say "your not under arrest and you can leave any time" that is the moment you leave with out a word. If you are arrested then you USE YOUR RIGHT TO BE SILENT, say nothing until your lawyer is beside you. Remember if they had enough evdience to arrest you you would be uner arrest. They are looking to you to provide enough evidence for your own arrest. Shut the fuck up boys!!

If you dont have a lawyer you better get one and at least have a consult about issues like these, it varies a little from state to state but you have to be prepared in an atmosphere of increasing police brutality and murders on top of all the privacy voilation.

In an age where doing the right thing just might not be enough, have you coached your kids on dealing with authorities? what are your thoughts.

I was always taught to be respectful. Ive found out that takes care of quite a lot. A friend of mine that is a cop told me one time, you have the RIGHT to remain silent....most of the time, people do not have the ability to remain silent, and the police find out more information that way.

I travel a lot for work....and sometimes Ive been pulled over speeding. I will immediately toss my billfold on the dash, turn on the inside light, and roll down both windows and put my hands back on the steering wheel. With everything being visible like that, it immediately puts the cop at ease, and with him able to look around...there is NO REASON to search the car....and I will decline on that anyway.

Man you nailed it Caseyjones. I got my license the day I turned 16 and just before I went on my first drive with a full license my father said to me "if you get pulled over it's Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank You Sir. I was a pretty respectful kid but I asked "Why" his answer "they have billy clubs and guns". Enough said. Kids today think it's sport to antagonize the police and mouth off to them. It's a dangerous choice.

Just based off of the few responses on this thread so far...being respectful, to me it all goes back to parenting. Our parents taught us to be respectful to those in a position of authority. So OBVIOUSLY there are a LOT of parents out there that arent teaching what their kids need to know to survive this lifetime.

I was just pulled over today I took my 09 for a ride for about 2 hours came back home grabbed my 85 for some more wind . Coming back thru a little train station town I noticed a cop following (not sure where he came from ) me pretty close so I sped up a little and then the lights come on what the fuck . I pull over and he walks up asked me for lic and insurance . He came back and told me why he pulled me over i thought loud pipes (ufo dragstar) I said doing a little over the speed limit ? Nope I had no tag on my bike I was in a hurry to enjoy a short ride that I had forgotten to switch plate back from my 05 ( yeas I share tags) He ended up letting me go and he said he liked my bike and has seen me before..I told him tag must have falling off and will get another ... I always treat a cop with respect just because the shit they can or have gone through . I teach my kids the same thing Respect goes along ways

respect for authority sums it all up. Usually taught by the parent or someone in a position of authority for the kid. Yes sir, no sir gets you out of a lot of ticket situations. In the long run, cops are just people like you and me. It's that first minute of the encounter that makes all the difference. My brother is different. He has respect for the cops authority, but when he thinks he right, he says it right out. He got in an arguement with a state trooper that had pulled him over in his lowboy. Cop said the excavator was improperly chained. My brother jumped all over him. Told him he was wrong and got out the rule book to prove it. They called in a third party because it was up to interpitation. My brother won the arguement, but I don't know if it was worth it. Now the troopers watch for him. He got pulled into a DOT road check, and the trooper said "i've been waiting to get you". He usually passes the road inspection. He keeps his truck nice and up on all the maintenance.

Another thought about dealing with cops. I live in white bread country america. 99% of the people in my area are yes sir, no sir respectful people. I treat police the same no matter where I am, but I think there's a considerable difference in the mentality of a cop in my neighborhood verses a city cop that deals with complete disrespect, drug dealers, gangs, etc. It's a different world.

I wouldn't say it's racist, wouldn't want anyone to get that idea, but there is a huge difference being white and being stopped and being Black and being stopped. Try this, get a Black friend to drive your car. Remove one taillight bulb, hide in the trunk but make sure you can hear the conversation. Go for a ride. When the cop is about to arrest your friend or shoot him start banging on the trunk and yell. Loudly.

I wouldn't say it's racist, wouldn't want anyone to get that idea, but there is a huge difference being white and being stopped and being Black and being stopped. Try this, get a Black friend to drive your car. Remove one taillight bulb, hide in the trunk but make sure you can hear the conversation. Go for a ride. When the cop is about to arrest your friend or shoot him start banging on the trunk and yell. Loudly.

Ummmmm dave....ANYONE would get arrested....and get a gun drawn on them under those circumstances...because its possible kidnapping!!!. I noticed that you capitalized the word black. I believe that is because that is what you first see about people.....is the color of their skin.

I dont capitalize the word black....because to me, its not that important. What matters more is how I get treated, and so I treat people like in return.

Here is a quote from a FAMOUS republician.

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
~Martin Luther King~

Here is an article that goes to the heart of the conversation that we are having.
TUCSON, Ariz. — An Arizona man’s Facebook post about a traffic stop is going viral.

Steven Hildreth Jr. says he was pulled over for a broken headlight by the Tucson Police Department.

When police asked if Hildreth had any weapons, he told officers he is a conceal-and-carry permit holder and was carrying a gun on his right hip.

Since his wallet was in his back-right pocket, the officer needed to disarm him to check his ID.

Hildreth wrote about the experience on his Facebook page, and in 48 hours, the post was shared over 150,000 times. Read it in its entirety below:

So, I’m driving to my office to turn in my weekly paperwork. A headlight is out. I see a Tucson Police Department squad vehicle turn around and follow me. I’m already preparing for the stop.

The lights go on and I pull over. The officer asks me how I’m doing, and then asks if I have any weapons.

“Yes, sir. I’m a concealed carry permit holder and my weapon is located on my right hip. My wallet is in my back-right pocket.”

The officer explains for his safety and mine, he needs to disarm me for the stop. I understand, and I unlock the vehicle. I explain that I’m running a 7TS ALS holster but from the angle, the second officer can’t unholster it. Lead officer asks me to step out, and I do so slowly. Officer relieves me of my Glock and compliments the X300U I’m running on it. He also sees my military ID and I tell him I’m with the National Guard.

Lead officer points out my registration card is out of date but he knows my registration is up to date. He goes back to run my license. I know he’s got me on at least two infractions. I’m thinking of how to pay them.

Officers return with my Glock in an evidence back, locked and cleared. “Because you were cool with us and didn’t give us grief, I’m just going to leave it at a verbal warning. Get that headlight fixed as soon as possible.”

I smile. “Thank you, sir.”

I’m a black man wearing a hoodie and strapped. According to certain social movements, I shouldn’t be alive right now because the police are allegedly out to kill minorities.

Maybe…just maybe…that notion is bunk.

Maybe if you treat police officers with respect, they will do the same to you.

Police officers are people, too. By far and large, most are good people and they’re not out to get you.

I’d like to thank those two officers and TPD in general for another professional contact.

We talk so much about the bad apples who shouldn’t be wearing a badge. I’d like to spread the word about an example of men who earned their badges and exemplify what that badge stands for.

#BlueLivesMatter #AllLivesMatter

I was always taught to be respectful. Ive found out that takes care of quite a lot. A friend of mine that is a cop told me one time, you have the RIGHT to remain silent....most of the time, people do not have the ability to remain silent, and the police find out more information that way.

I travel a lot for work....and sometimes Ive been pulled over speeding. I will immediately toss my billfold on the dash, turn on the inside light, and roll down both windows and put my hands back on the steering wheel. With everything being visible like that, it immediately puts the cop at ease, and with him able to look around...there is NO REASON to search the car....and I will decline on that anyway.

Where do you carry your wallet?

In the passenger seat. Its not good to sit on a wallet and drive....it can throw your back off kilter.

The reason I ask is because the first thing an officer looks for when he lights you up is driver movement (something to hide or pulling a gun). Passenger seat puts it out of the drivers responsibilty and into the passengers. Your best bet is to keep both hands on the steering wheel until the officer gets to your window. You have three movements going before he gets there.

Back