Laconia Has the '09 V Max on Display

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lennstang

Reaction score
Just got back from Laconia, NH. Saw the new Max for the 1st time at the Yamaha/Star / Demo ride Tent. Was able to throw a leg over the seat . It's awesome! The tent, for those of you who know Laconia, is located at Fun Spot. Upper right hand corner of the parking lot next to the KTM tent and Victory tent.
1st impressions:
Longer than the original Max.
Sitting in the saddle it feels more like a sport bike.
Engine looks HUGE.
Nice fit and finish.
Bar reach is about the same.
Pegs seem back a bit.
Mirriors look the same.
Looks much better in the flesh than any photo I've seen.
Wasn't going to buy one...until I saw it.

You actually saw one in the flesh and didn't get a pic?:th_signs60:

:ttiwwp:

1. Sitting in the saddle it feels more like a sport bike.
2. Pegs seem back a bit.

1. Are you implying that you had to lean forward like you're laying on the tank?

2. Was it still comfortable or did you feel cramped because of the peg location?

I just got back from Laconia and took some pictures of the new Max, That's my son, Red, on the bike, he's 6 feet even. One of the scoops, right one, has a scrap from fallling over in the crate. It's got no oil or fuel in it and really does not feel heavy at all compared to my max, just from pushing it back and forth. Two different guys said the 137 MPH limit was from roll-on, if you start from a stop and run fast thru the gears, there is no limited top speed. Big catalytic converter under the bike between the exhausts, could loss some quick weight without that attached.

Some pics:
http://tinyurl.com/6f48du
There is some zoom and these are pretty high res. Enjoy!

Red98vmax

Last edited:
Here's the VMax Tour Schedule

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/vmax_tour_schedule.aspx

Lenn, How tall are you? Did you feel cramped on it? How does it feel in comparison to generation I?

Thanks
:ummm:
I'm 6' with a 33" inseam. The pegs seemed higher and back more, like on my FJR-1300. But not quite as aggressive. The bars seemed lower than than my Gen 1. Just has a more sportier feel than the Gen 1.

Anyone that is considering one should go out of their way to see one. Like I said, no pics I've seen yet do this bike any justice...it's way better looking in the flesh. I wasn't expecting to see it there so I didn't even have a camera.

I'm 6' with a 33" inseam. The pegs seemed higher and back more, like on my FJR-1300. But not quite as aggressive. The bars seemed lower than than my Gen 1. Just has a more sportier feel than the Gen 1.

Anyone that is considering one should go out of their way to see one. Like I said, no pics I've seen yet do this bike any justice...it's way better looking in the flesh. I wasn't expecting to see it there so I didn't even have a camera.

Lenn, I have a FJR1300 as well ( faster blue 2005). If the position is similar then I can live with it. Thanks :eusa_dance:

I just got back from Laconia, also. All I can say is , I want the new Max.

Yamaha really listened to owners wishes. The bike addresses the short comings of the old bike. Except, the small fuel capacity. It looks modernized with the character the old Max.

The only problem I'm having with it, is the price. 15 or 16 thousand dollars I could understand.

:worthy: I bow down before you that have seen the new Max in the flesh. Ever since photos were first released I have been hearing plenty of positives and negatives which made me wonder if this new Max was going to be worth it. Now that I have heard your testimonies I am convinced this bike is worth every penny. I will be getting a quote from my insurance company and assuming it's going to be under $1,000 for coverage I will throw my $1K down on it!! Wish me luck!!

alright alright here are a few pics. once we figure out how to solve the top speed problem i'll also own one. this one will turn heads as did the first max. i think its good that there are features that people dont like-opens up the aftermarket parts options. just like our old max's once people actually get their hands on one, little bits and shiney parts will be showing up everywhere. ps even the guys at the yamaha display didnt know if the scoops were functional-so dont believe everything you hear.

later odieoh24

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 53
Is the seat like sitting on log (stock seat) or more like a Corbin feel? Also how is motor held in frame?

The seat was hard. The rep stated that is was a non-working prototype, for display. I hope the production seats are better. The engine is part of the frame.

Back