More line splitting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming thru now Rusty-Thanks--- The day I moved to Los Angeles in 1984 and got stuck in traffic downtown was the last day I drove with a steering wheel. Great article and cannot wait until the rest of the country gets it. It is not the same in other states and being from Texas I understand. I also understand that if you have never been to LA you would not the reason for it. You would burn up in 1 day if not a few hours.
I used to drive to drive to San Diego daily and it tokk 1 1/2 hours from downtown LA to downtown San Diego- If you did not lane split it would take 8+hours 1 way.
I remember the paper 2 wheelin' that came out once a month in LA with the last page riders asking questions to motorcycle police about the legalities and safety of riding in So Cal and they never had a problem giving an opinion. So out the window with that article on the closed lip cops.

^ I'm with Blax, on this one.
I was in San Diego in the Navy in the mid 80's and in a car the ride from San Diego to LA could take from 2 hrs to 8 hrs depending on the day and the time of day.
On motorcycles we could always make it in 2 hrs or so and we were Not riding crazy just splitting stopped traffic.

I might convince myself to do some lane splitting IF, and only if, the other traffic were backed up to a stand still. No way I'd do it at speed. Too many ways for it to go wrong at any speed beyond a crawl, and my bones don't heal easily.

There is no law against it in Ca but then there is no law for it- Officers do it and are trained. They do not condone it and advise that 10mph of the going speed is safe.

When traffic is backed up, I have to pull my mirrors in on my Busa to avoid hitting other people's mirrors/ I've all ready did it a couple of times/ I'm going 20 to 30 MPH/ :eusa_dance:

When traffic is backed up, I have to pull my mirrors in on my Busa to avoid hitting other people's mirrors/ I've all ready did it a couple of times/ I'm going 20 to 30 MPH/ :eusa_dance:

Always feel good when people in cages see you coming up in back and purposely move over to make room. I always give them recognition.

I know one guy in MN that has lane-split a few times when he resided in the metro. He said it was so awesome to be sneaking through for a bit, then hop back in the lane behind a vehicle for a while, then when there was an opportunity, take it. Saved him lots of time sitting there in traffic on his Vmax, only did this here and there, but dang, dangerous but fun. People in cars stuck in traffic usually aren't merging over too much. But he said he had to watch for the cops too, risky, but dangerous, fun and time saving. I personally am a fan of lane-splitting.....hope it spreads all over.....can't wait to try it... ;)

Been splitting lanes here in CA since 1984. Not in favor the new proposal to regulate it. Another generally unenforceable law, (if it passes)

I'm riding to Nebraska tomorrow to see a fixer upper home in a town of under 1000 population, but a 25 mile stretch down a desolate semi-scenic byway will get me to a larger town of under 6000. I'm not sure how anyone can cope with being surrounded by that many people and that much traffic as a matter of routine, much less even one isolated time. I really hope lane splitting remains a legal options for our West Coast brothers, not sure how you could get through a day without it.

Been lane splitting here in Oklahoma for years, didn't know it was legal out in CA. Way to go California. I have visited out there and can't image how you put up with that traffic. It would be nice to see it considered here. As long as they keep both wheels on the ground. Seems I see more and more bikes packs running down the highway with 1 or 2 of them running on 1 wheel. That's where I kinda' draw the line. From my experience, (40+ yrs of riding), for the most part there is actually quite a bit of room between cars.
Keep it safe and do it with the lower speeds sounds like a good idea to me.

Been lane splitting here in Oklahoma for years, didn't know it was legal out in CA. Way to go California. I have visited out there and can't image how you put up with that traffic. It would be nice to see it considered here. As long as they keep both wheels on the ground. Seems I see more and more bikes packs running down the highway with 1 or 2 of them running on 1 wheel. That's where I kinda' draw the line. From my experience, (40+ yrs of riding), for the most part there is actually quite a bit of room between cars.
Keep it safe and do it with the lower speeds sounds like a good idea to me.

It's not against the law here but there is no law in favor of it either. Purely up to the discretion of the officer. Rule of thumb is no more than 10mph faster than traffic is moving. For those that don't comply it is not a question of "if" but "when" they will go down. Easy to spot them.
I met Dragmaster in Los Angeles in 1984 when he was 18 and we have split traffic every since. You cannot live in LA on a motorcycle and not split-your bike will not make it.

That idiot in the truck looks like he got some street justice administered. I've seen drivers intentionally swerve at bikes to discourage lane splitting. It, lane splitting,is illegal in ,Ma. Cagers can just be dicks sometimes. It's nice to see them get their ass kicked when they screw with a bike for selfish reasons. Time to carry some ball bearings again.

+1 Steve-o but I can honestly say that in over 25 years in Los Angeles freeway and side street riding averaging 350+ miles a day I have never seen that happen. A lady did clip my leg one day changing lanes but she just did not check her mirror or use her turn signal to change lanes.

Back