seen the light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THMAX98

Reaction score
Ta da ive seen the light after 5 years ive stepped out of the dark and sold my Kawasaki 1600 vulcan and returned to the light that is me 98 vmax the vulcan was a great bike did everything it was supposed to do but it just wasnt "fun".Now the vmax is bleeding in a couple of places one is down by the clutch,i have to keep topping up the resovour so ill need to be fixing that and another is down by the the oil sensor ,probably just a gasket we shall see,looking forward to taming the beast once again :clapping:

Congrats on your purchase a legendary motorcycle.
Vmax riders are a breed apart, you will be amazed at the brotherhood we have compared to riders of other bikes.

I left the max world for a while, but came back. There can be only ONE ! LOL
I like the Confidence of riding my Max & knowing I can ROAST most anything on the road. Welcome back.
I also had a 1500 Vulcan. Came straight pipes on it,....was soooo loud I hated it. Plus the head light was very poor,..you could easily over drive it at night. Never had any mechanical issues with it. But kinda whimpy for top end Pull.
vulcan1001_zps5a18de42.jpg

I have the best of both worlds. A 2002 Road Star for the days my age catches up with me, and the Max for the rowdy days. However, if I had to sell one of them, the Roadie would be gone.

Max and my Royal Star " Speedstar " . See '96-'98 bike magazines on custom bike builder Jeff Palhegyi , who built most of these beauties .

Attachments

• # 2 Group Chip 1152.jpg
    # 2 Group Chip 1152.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
ah now the problem ,its been a few years since THMAX has been fired up (flat battery ofcoarse) and the carbs are a bit gunked up with old crappy fuel ,ive stripped down the carbs but trying to get out the little wee tiny pilot jets on 2 of the carbs has turned into a night mare ie i cant get them out the scew driver inserts have now gone and the only way i can see getting them out is by drilling ,im trying to see if i can get a couple of "block jet assembly" parts wich might be the easiest way but it depends on price and availabilty ,fingers crossed

ah now the problem ,its been a few years since THMAX has been fired up (flat battery ofcoarse) and the carbs are a bit gunked up with old crappy fuel ,ive stripped down the carbs but trying to get out the little wee tiny pilot jets on 2 of the carbs has turned into a night mare ie i cant get them out the scew driver inserts have now gone and the only way i can see getting them out is by drilling ,im trying to see if i can get a couple of "block jet assembly" parts wich might be the easiest way but it depends on price and availabilty ,fingers crossed

You could try soaking them in penetrate then drill and an easy out. Or see if you can get a couple of used ones. I I have some, without jets or plugs in them. Pm me if you want to go with used ones.
Steve-o

Ta da ive seen the light after 5 years ive stepped out of the dark and sold my Kawasaki 1600 vulcan and returned to the light that is me 98 vmax the vulcan was a great bike did everything it was supposed to do but it just wasnt "fun".Now the vmax is bleeding in a couple of places one is down by the clutch,i have to keep topping up the resovour so ill need to be fixing that and another is down by the the oil sensor ,probably just a gasket we shall see,looking forward to taming the beast once again :clapping:

Welcome to the VMax world! I have that same clutch problem.

If you take them into a machine ship they might be able to extract them fairly quickly and for not much money.

The Beast is Back

woo hoo got the beast running like a cut cat again after 3 years sitting, having the carbs off twice :bang head: (boy some off those jets have tiny holes) and then realising how rusty the tank was :damn angry:,fixing that with a three pot system ,putting back in then taking it back out again because of it leaking from the fuel gauge sensor,then cleaning out the carbs again and all the fuel lines and fuel pump it sounds as sweet as ever after balancing ,1 3/4 turns out with the pilot screw,no spitting or chuffing now just a oil and coolant change and off down for a warrent and then the terrible rego of $560 for a year and life will be back to normal:clapping::eusa_dance:

It is always nice to have the best of both world's that is why I have the Goldwing & the Max
I agree with you, at 60 years old, I still love the power......and I love the comfort. I own an 1994 GL1500SE Goldwing for the trips, and I own a 2002 VMax for fast short hops to Walmart and so on! I will admit the Goldwing is favorite for winter and wet weather riding.

Latest posts

Back