Cheetah kit car in Florida

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Something interesting, not really anything for me, but I'm posting it to show what's out there.

A replica body probably made in Indy, of the 1960's Bill Thomas Cheetah. With running gear, not sure why it only has a 3 speed manual tranny? Also the Chrysler 451 cu.in. engine I suppose is a 440 overbore?

The Cheetah was a Corvette running gear-based car in the style of the AC Shelby Ford Cobra from the 1960's. The Cheetah was also a 1960's car, and was primarily a track car, though a few did see street duty. I believe the Cobra saw a total production of just-under 1000 units, with 260, 289, and 427 cu.in. engines. The original Cheetah I expect was much-lower.

http://classifieds.sunsentinel.com/classifieds/nearly-completed-cheetah-project-for-sale

Some info about the Cheetah re-pop from Indianapolis:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/cheetahcars/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=8828717

http://z3.invisionfree.com/cheetahcars/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=8828718

http://z3.invisionfree.com/cheetahcars/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=8828718

http://z3.invisionfree.com/cheetahcars/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=8828720

The ad from the newspaper w/picture.

Attachments

• 20170422_135147.jpg
    20170422_135147.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 26
Don't be distracted by the 1984 "Sovelhead" for sale! :surprise:

A rare 1-year-only model from what I found in the H-D archives.

ClickHandler.ashx

Here's info on the original, one-and-only, 427 Chevy (the intended engine) Super Cheetah from 1964.

427-super-cheetah-driver-side.jpg

First, we are the manufacturer for the Bill Thomas Cheetah. We are BTM,” Robert Auxier says. No wonder he was so thrilled to have uncovered the one and only 427 Super Cheetah, a big-block coupe set to do battle with another supercar of the era, Carroll Shelby’s 427 Cobra Super Coupe, which was also stillborn.

“What did you think when you opened the barn door to find the car?” I ask.

“I couldn’t believe my eyes,” Robert answers.

The date was August 4, 2011. The expectation level must have been off the charts because he had been researching and hunting this car for more than two decades. He says, “In 1991, I started doing research on the Cheetah. And I talked to a friend of mine back in Chicago about the Cheetahs and the Super Cheetah. By coincidence, his best friend’s son was going to school with the nephew of the owner of the Super Cheetah in Tennessee. He got the nephew to show it to him in the garage 21 years ago.”

Enthused, Robert got the name and address of the owner and called him. Alas, the Super Cheetah wasn’t for sale.

“I talked to that man two or three times a year,” says Robert. “And then he passed away in 2010. The family knew who I was, and we made a deal on September 12, 2011.”

Robert could not have been more fortunate with the remains. Apparently, the owner, William Duke, had preserved the Super Cheetah exactly as he purchased the historic big-block sports/muscle car in 1971. Here are the odd facts of the deal.

Bill Thomas’ Cheetah operation in Anaheim, California, was very short-lived, starting in January 1964. Robert called the Cheetah a “top secret program” funded clandestinely by Chevrolet to compete against Shelby’s Cobra. Chevrolet “pulled the plug” in May 1964 after production and sale of a mere 23 Cheetahs. All were coupes, 21 built in fiberglass and two in aluminum. Most were powered by fuel-injected 327s, but some used 377s, and one car even came with a 396.

Thomas didn’t kill the Cheetah immediately. He had planned a Super Cheetah, powered by a 427 NASCAR-bred big-block. The body was 3 inches wider, 2 inches taller, and a foot longer with similar front and sides but a totally different rear. How many did they build?

“Just one. This is it, the aluminum car,” Robert says. Thomas never did complete the build to turnkey status. The good news is Robert has the car exactly as it was when work stopped in July 1964.

Robert says, “There was a fire in October 1965. Luckily, the Super Cheetah was in another building and not damaged.”

The business finally folded in 1970 and sold cars at auction. Don Edmonds, in charge of design and production of the first Cheetah, did not intend to purchase a car. However, he raised his hand at $300 to raise the bidding on the Super Cheetah. The bid went no higher. Edmonds owned the exotic American big-block.

In 1971, Edmonds, who was rookie of the year at Indianapolis in 1957 and built Indy cars, advertised the Super Cheetah for sale in Competition Press. A William Duke of Memphis purchased the car for $1,575. He would keep the car the rest of his life. Robert says, “The man never touched the car. From the day he put it in there until I took it out, that car didn’t move.”

Robert did not see the car until August 4, 2011, even though he had been visiting with the owner for more than 20 years. He says, “The man would never let me look at the car. He never let anybody look at that car for 40 years.”

Robert believes Cheetah connoisseurs wrote off the Super Cheetah as lost in the Bill Thomas fire of 1965. He says magazines incorrectly reported the car destroyed by fire. He received the Super Cheetah as Edmonds sold it, almost 40 years before to the day. Robert says, “I have it exactly how it was when work stopped in July of ’64 on the original Bill Thomas jig table, exactly from 1964 as it is now. I didn’t even wash this thing. It still has the dirt and the dust on the body and chassis.”

The components include the exotic aluminum body, the doors, the chromoly tube chassis, front and rear windows, headlight covers, and a prototype 327 engine.

This engine, however, was just a core for mock-up. Robert tells us a 427 big-block bolts in the same position. This restyled Cheetah was going to become the 427 Super Cheetah. Robert’s mission is to complete the car as Bill Thomas would have in 1964. Then he plans to go one step further. After the restoration, Auxier’s company will re-create the car in a continuation series.

Already, BTM in Phoenix (www.billthomascheetah.com) makes continuation Cheetahs in the first body style. Now it will also manufacture the 427 Super Cheetah. Enthusiasts will be able to purchase one of the wickedest muscle cars of the ’60s thanks to a Rare Find.

Do you have a Rare Find story to share? Contact Jerry Heasley at [email protected].

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mscp-1206-427-super-cheetah-rare-finds/

That....is....so....freaking....COOL!

I love 60's muscle. I am an unabashed Mustang lover and all things Shelby from that era but I have to show respect for something as wicked as that car. It's a shame it never got finished back then. How awesome would it have been to have that go up against an AC Shelby Cobra? Just too damn cool, thanks for posting this FM!!

Yes a very 'cool' car in the concept, but because of the extreme rearward mounting of the engine, the exhaust headers cooked the footwells and made life very uncomfortable for the driver. Supposedly one owner made his original Cheetah a convertible in an attempt to lessen the footwell heat.

Available in two wheelbases, the shorter of the two (90" WB! & 70" track!) did-away with a driveshaft entirely, and there was only one u-joint located at the rear of the tranny and it bolted directly to the differential. The longer wheelbase was 98" and that supposedly gave some relief to the suffering driver's feet from radiated exhaust header heat.

I find it intereting that the builder had licensing agreements with model and slot car manufacturers to produce them, and it's conceivable he made far-more $$$ from that revenue stream than from the sales of the entire production run of < 100 Cheetahs. I recall that the Cheetah slot car was a popular model, I never owned one, but they were available in HO, 1/32nd, and 1/24th scales. There may also have been a tethered model available, running on alcohol, it was a gas powered engine that ran in circles on a smooth surface, like a parking lot. Cox I believe was one of the manufacturers of this type of toy. One of the episodes of 'Storage Wars' had the rich old guy, Barry, buy a compartment where a vintage one was among the items inside, and he took it to the local authority, and the guy demonstrated how they ran. Barry's toy turned out to be worth 4-figures! As far as that show goes, I think it's staged, I think they put stuff in the lockers to be 'discovered' and then have the expert report on the tether car, the vintage tools, or whatever else is 'found.'

Anyway, the Cheetah's reputation as a badass car is far-out of proportion to its production run. I have a friend in West Virginia who is a professional engineer (PE) who built a space-tube frame for an open-cockpit fiberglass body he designed and built. It uses an early Olds Toronado front-wheel-drive GM Hydra-Matic transmission coupled to a Mopar 392 Hemi engine and all that sits behind the driver/passenger. He built it many years ago, and still has it. I used to have a video of it running in the hills of West Virginia, but I dunno exactly where it is, I asked him to send me a digital file but I haven't gotten it yet. It looks bad to the bone, like a late 1960's Can-Am car for the street.

Here's a neo-classic car in the vision of the Excalibur and the Blackhawk, the Florida-produced Zimmer Golden Spirit. A wealthy MI manufacturer decided to build this in the late 1970's and assembled a team of auto industry veterans to bring it to market. Two friends of mine did the prototyping. One did the engineering and frame mods, and one did the bodywork. The car is based on a Fox-body Mustang. The guy who did the engineering and frame prototyping, and jigs for production is the professional engineer from W. Virginia who did the 392 Mopar/Olds Toronado transaxle mid-engine car in the prior post. The guy who did the body prototyping and plugs for production is a college friend who later retired from GM's Warren MI Design and Tech Center where he was a stylist.

The original Golden Spirit had a decent production run. It was manufactured in Pompano Beach FL which is an area where there is a good supply of fiberglass fabricators due to the boating industry there, and in south Florida.

One of the things that my friends mentioned to me is that Zimmer, the owner, sent a car to the Unsers in New Mexico for mods to make it a turbo V8. It was supposed to be an option but I dunno how-many ever were made. The guy who did the body prototyping got to drive the Unser turbo model and said that it was much-more fun than the stocker.

The Zimmer isn't anything I would ever consider buying, but they sold a lot of them, and the current company will build you a modern version, now based on a newer chassis/drivetrain. Bring $230,000+, and six months for delivery. Compared to the Cheetah, more than fifteen times the Cheetah's near 100 production run, and still in production. Two different markets, two very different cars.

https://www.motor1.com/news/88940/zimmer-golden-spirit/

Attachments

• Zimmer.01.jpg
    Zimmer.01.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back