Where to get a starter or is it a COPS thing?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmith1107

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 85 Max with the 2 brush starter--is the best place to search for a 4 brush on ebay? If so, what keywords would I put in since I know they came on the Venture motorcycle as well? Or does someone have a 4 brush they would part with? I have also heard the COPS conversion helps with slow starts as well as the hot start issue. Mine doesn't spin over very fast PLUS when I park and put gas in for example, it has a hard time starting--thought I was going to be stranded the last time out. I have talked to Jon and he said he sells the COPS conversion kit.

Thanks
Jeff

I have used 4 brush OEM starters. They are more expensive then the new aftermarket starters on ebay. I haven't had any experience with those ebay units to say good or bad about them.

The COP kits (which we also sell) aren't a cure for anything. They can be a good replacement option when you have other parts that are worn (like the coils or wires). Your early bike is more susceptible to CDI box failure if you get non-resistored kits so keep that in mind.

So you mentioned non resistor—you mean the COP kit

In terms of CDI, that wouldn’t have anything to do with my slow starter though would it?

It would be worthwhile reading this which addresses hot starting.

Regarding COP's, I suspect the benefit is directly proportional to how good or bad the OE system is performing. You will see a good improvement in an old and tired system however the benefits (IMHO) in performance over a well maintained system are marginal.

You will also need to ensure that the battery, all connection and earths are in good condition.

Only after working through the above might it be worthwhile getting a four brush motor.

I've got a 2 brush motor in my 85. It replaced the failed original motor back in around 1991. Once I got the charging bugs worked out, it cranks the engine over like I took the plugs out, and fires up instantly.

1. Good stator.
2. Solid connections between stator and upgraded (MOSFET or preferably Series R/R).
3. Heavy gauge wiring directly from regulator to battery.
4. Good grounds. Check them all..

Back