Seat and Sissy bar removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relliott

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to remove the rear seat and sissy bar on my '02 max. I am going to get the sissy bar chromed.

Any tips on how to do this?

Thanks,

Rob

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to remove the rear seat and sissy bar on my '02 max. I am going to get the sissy bar chromed.

Any tips on how to do this?

Thanks,

Rob
First off I would like to find the friggin' engineer that designed how the seat/ fender/ sissy/ grab bar is bolted on and wring his neck!:bang head:
Ok, here goes from memory: pop the middle seat and remove the 2 bolts that hold the rear seat on; lift and remove. Now you can see the mounting locations for the sissy/grab bar. Next remove the reflector 2 bolts and center fender 1 bolt. Next remove the turn signals. Now remove the 4 side facing bolts and the sissy/ grab bar should lift right off.
I believe that is all that needs to be removed, if I missed something I'm sure somebody else will add what I missed. Have fun!

surprisingly its a bitch mate! The sissy bar actually holds the rear fender on the bike bot the other way around. 2 big bolts on the side and 2 big bolts right by the reflector. Then one bolt that holds the clip thing that the rear seat clips under.

Basically 6 big bolts - 2 x 2 to the frame, 2 medium and one small if i remember right. Took me a while the first time. Your gonna have to un hook the signal wires and break light wires and take the whole rear fender off. Not hard just time consuming, for me anyway

just saw the post above, maybe i do it wrong but I find it easier with the fender off so you can get to the underneath but yes the deign is awful, just ask my gf cos I got her to help and told her "this is the worst f...... design" at least 10 times

I've had mine off a few times, it's not all that bad. I guess having the Corbin seat helps a LOT - it just lifts off all in one piece :)

But yea, the grab bar assembly holds the rear fender, although it can simply be dropped on the rear wheel rather than fully removing it. Rear light and blinkers wiring must be disconnected though.

Ah, I forgot about the other 2 "big" bolts that hold on the fender on. Here are 2 photos to see how it is mounted; note 3 bolts holding fender on/ 4 bolts holding grab bar to frame/ and 2 turn signals that need to removed.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 95
Do the turning signals just pull off and out or do I have to twist them? I am afraid to just pull them out, dont want to rip the wiring inside.

This design really does suck, doesnt it?

Do the turning signals just pull off and out or do I have to twist them? I am afraid to just pull them out, dont want to rip the wiring inside.

This design really does suck, doesnt it?
No there is a nut on the backside of the grab/ sissybar that you will need to remove. Make sure you remove the wires first, as you remove them write down which color goes where.

Yep....serious PITA compared to how most other bikes do it. Buddy's M109 can take the sissy bar/luggage rack on and off in about 2 minutes.

The actual sissy bar comes out of the grab bar, there's 4 bolts on the inside of the posts, 2 on each side. Remove them and wriggle it upwards, it's tight but it will pop out. Getting it back in is do-able but not easy. I used a ratchet strap to compress the two legs together so it would slip back in.

For some reason I find it easy and logical. Maybe because I've done it a time or two. If you know what under there, it all makes sense. The grabrail/sissybar is integrating the frame and a carrier for inner fender, passenger, lights etc. two front bolts are just a mounting point, the rear two tie in the frame sides, the signals are just poking through a convenient location.
I think once you get her off, you'll realize how simplistic it really is. You can do it!

Back