86´ VALVE COVER REPLACEMENT

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavicool

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,my ´86(48.000 miles...) needs a valve gasket replacement due to some oil leackage throughout some areas of the cylinder heas...I would like some tech advise ,I have to replace the valve cover gasket,my worrys are;
*Do I have/should to replace the rubber/washers of the valve bolts mounts?(itens 27 and 28)
*Any recomendation for their removal or other maintenance/inspection that could be done at this time?
*I do not need to remove the carburators or cooling hoses,isn´t it?

Thank you for your tips....🍻
1694426638869.png

I like to replace the rubber washers K&L makes them that are a lot cheaper than Yamaha . Do not use aftermarket valve cover gaskets. It is also a good time to check the valve adjustment with that mileage and yes you need to remove the carburetors. I usually take the bolts out that hold the CDI and vboost servo just to give you a little extra wiggle room on the front.

I like to replace the rubber washers K&L makes them that are a lot cheaper than Yamaha . Do not use aftermarket valve cover gaskets. It is also a good time to check the valve adjustment with that mileage and yes you need to remove the carburetors. I usually take the bolts out that hold the CDI and vboost servo just to give you a little extra wiggle room on the front.
Thank you very much for your recomendations CaptainKyle !!!

I'd definitely replace the washer/gaskets under each both....especially with age and mileage of the bike.

I agree with Kyle on carbs and vboost. I also loosened radiator mounts and let it hang forward for better access to the front valve cover.

Mark

I'd definitely replace the washer/gaskets under each both....especially with age and mileage of the bike.

I agree with Kyle on carbs and vboost. I also loosened radiator mounts and let it hang forward for better access to the front valve cover.

Mark
Good point Mark!!..Thank you !

Hello again Kyle,I was checking the K&L catalog and I have not been able to find the rubber washers for the Vmax 85-07...maybe they discontinued..
www.https://www.klsupply.com/

CaptainKyle,

Can you provide a link/source for the K&L rubber washers?
=======================================================
Never mind, just seen the link above and ordered the washers..

Back