aftermarket tach

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
Does anybody have an aftermarket tach and do they like it? What brand and size?

I would like to find something for on top of my speedo hopefully with a shiftlight .

shawn kloker said:
Does anybody have an aftermarket tach and do they like it? What brand and size?

I would like to find something for on top of my speedo hopefully with a shift light .

I have one on mine now for two years and it performs great. It has an adjustable shift light at 6 oclock, this might be too small for you though. The tach is 3 1/2" and the same size as the speedo. The price was right and the instrument is easy to read......not like the stock one.

Attachments

• Instruments.jpg
    Instruments.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I mounted a small (but very bright) shift light on top of the speedo and I works great. It is programable. It flashes 1K before comming on solid at the pre-set redlline.

mikemax04 said:
I have one on mine now for two years and it performs great. It has an adjustable shift light at 6 oclock, this might be too small for you though. The tach is 3 1/2" and the same size as the speedo. The price was right and the instrument is easy to read......not like the stock one.
Mike, is that tach weatherproof?

Buster Hymen said:
Mike, is that tach weatherproof?
Don't remember if it's GUARANTIED to be waterproof but has been in the rain several times with no signs of internal moisture, unlike the Max watch some outfit sells as water resistant.

I rarely really need to use the tach except at the drag strip and when I need to do that I would much prefer a shift light.......

I used an MSD mini-lite with the remote Tach adapter that uses various rpm modules for quite a while and liked it a lot.....
I finally broke down and got the Raptor shift light that is self contained and fully programmable.........
For $90 it's a steal....

I'm now using the old MSD pro-lite for an oil pressure warning light by using the programmable output from my Dynojet Wideband Commander (on at more than 3000rpm) and running it through a 25 psi oil pressure switch to make the light come on if rpm's are higher than 3k and press is below 25psi.....

This is the wideband commander I took off my wifes formerly supercharged 350Z along with some of the other goodies...

http://www.widebandcommander.com/

You guys are puting ideas in my head! Now I want to rig up a shift light LED and wire it into my helmet in the corner of my eye.

Stewart warner and auto meter both make a digital tach-shift light combo.2"x5"long.

I already have a raptor but hate trying to watch the tach and lights at the strip.I like to leave at 6500rpms.These both look like they would mount nicely to the speedo.A 2 stage rev limiter is what I should just buy like my dragbike.It stays at the predetermined rpm till the clutch lever switch releases the ignition.The throttle is already wide open.Older vmax dyna ignitions (analog,85-89)have this capability built in.

Waylander said:
Save that for the radar detector.

LoL...

a buddy of mine has an extrememly loud "chirper" installed on his Hayabusa radar detector....
when cruising at low speed past a cop shooting radar the cop pulled him over because he thought the chirper was an alarm and the bike was in the process of being stolen....

Back