Avon 170/80/15

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

912er

Reaction score
I?ve been a ?lurker? on this forum a few months soaking up all the good info, so thanks to everyone for that. I decided to try the AVON 170/80/15 and was fully prepared to do the washer swap, but it was totally unnecessary. The tire slid right in and on the shaft side the clearance is .220 (for non-machinists that?s right at 7/32? which is 1/32? shy of ??) so it?s a great fit and looks much better!

Bought my MAX new in June of 1985, Super-trap exhaust, and dyno-tuned by NW Motorcycle Racing. The AVON didn?t help with the head shake under 40 and neither did the Furber fix, just read the ?walking bearing? post so that?s next. Anyway, Thanks again for all the good info on the site!

Now for some new shocks.

Bob

Attachments

• VmaxAvon-01.jpg
    VmaxAvon-01.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 65
Welcome to the site! Best place for Max on the interweb :)

That's a nice tire you got there - how much did it set you back?

Low speed wobble is usually due to loose head bearing and/or dodgy front tire. How is/what kind of tire do you have up front?
Also do the 'bounce test' (search for it here) it's the best and easiest way to find out if your head bearings are properly adjusted.

Enjoy the ride! :eusa_dance:

I never had to do the washer swap with either the avon 170 or the metz 170. Plenty of clearance. Why a few people do is kind of a mystery.

Have fun with the rolling burnouts, they're ridiculously easy with avons.

Thanks for the welcome in! This is by far the best forum on the max. I paid 152.00 for the new shoe. I’ve gone thru several front tires and right now I have a Dunlop 591 on it and I’ve run 525’s. I tried the bridgestone, the Metzeler and a conti so I think the next one will be the Avon AM26, so far I’m really liking the Avon rear.

Ever since the day I bought the bike in 85 it’s had the deceleration head shake and none of the tires I’ve run have had any effect one way or the other. At least it doesn’t do the Kawi high speed death wobble like my old H2 did! I’ve only encountered a slight high speed wobble in big sweepers under acceleration with the max but it was manageable.

I’ve adjusted the front end from loose, to where it will not fall on its own and a little tighter was slightly better. I think the head shake is just part of the bike, it does everything I like, the sound, the feel, the ride, it calls to me like no other bike ever has so I can put up with a bit of head shake, it’s just reminding me to stay on top of everything.

I have a 85 also, and never had the head shake.....even when it was stock..
I did get the high speed weave though..

Back