Broken Plug

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyglass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still high from my success in figuring out how to finally bleed the clutch, things took a turn for the worse when the back right (#3?) spark plug snapped off.

1 & 2 were tight, but they came out. I put the new ones in with some anti-seize.

3 & 4 were not moving, so I sprayed them with some penetrating oil and headed to town.

When I returned, the movement I was happy to sense turned out to be the #3 plug snapping at the top of the threads.

I left #4 alone.

Is it possible that since these are always on the high side with the kickstand down they accumulate water and crud, causing them to seize?

In any case, has anyone else faced this problem and found the best easy out bit to get them out?

Thanks.

Broken Spark Plug.jpg

A counter thread conical tap (screw extractor).

Soak the broken plug in penetrant well before.

Last edited:
I've had this experience in a car engine.

I got it out with a large screw extractor, like Jack H described.

My extractor did not have twisted threaded flutes. The flutes were straight, but they had a sharp reverse beveled edge. I guess it might have beeen a reaming tool instead of an extractor. I hammered it into the broken sleeve before I turned it. It worked fairly easily.

There's always some shavings with cutting tools. The way to avoid that is to apply plenty of axle grease into the area that traps everything.

PS. Since you like single malt, try Balvenie. My absolute favorite.

Good tip.

I was into Balvenie Double Wood for a long time. I still have a bottle on the shelf. My neighbor put me onto Irish Whisky, and I thoroughly enjoy them.

Any of the Spots, Red Breast, Tyrconnel, Middleton - all dangerously good.

Back