Dancing with Gigi… 38.88 MPG

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking parminio is just saying, 'compare apples to apples.' Yes he said, "it's not a VMax,"but just read between the lines and agree that it's not a stock VMax. I have a stage 7 and a UFO 4/1, and pretty-much every time I ride it, at some point I'll see the red light winking at me, so it's not staying below 5K rpm. My fuel lamp illuminates at somewhere in the 90's, I may have done slightly-better on an all-expressway trip, but I'm not an owner of these for Mobilgas Fuel Economy Runs.

The guy who owned Rifle Fairings, Charlie Perethian had a 1930's style 'dustbin' fairing on some small single cyl 4 stroke Yamaha, like a 185cc Exciter, and he attained an astronomical MPG, hundreds of miles per gallon. However not a comfortable ride I'm sure.

Check out the pictures via the link:
https://craigvetter.com/pages/470MPG/1983 FER gallery of winners.html

1983-results.jpg

First place in 1983, again: Charly Perethian 372 mpg!
1983-372-Smiling-Chaly-web.jpg
1983-372--Highland-web.jpg

Charly Perethian has been a friend since he came to work for me in 1972. When I sold Vetter, Charly was a partner in the new Rifle Fairing Company. It was in this period that he put forth incredible effort in developing the svelt Yamaha 185 based Streamliner.
Charly's beautiful machine is now a part of the Smithsonian collection in Washington, DC.
Your 1983 winner: Charlie Perethian
372 mpg on Saturday on the road, backing it up Sunday on the track with 365.93 mpg!​
1983-Chaly-bare-bik-web.jpg
1984-Rifle-Smithsonian-web.jpg
Charly-today.jpg

Charly with the first Streamliner body
Charly with his son, Max in their family business, Parabellum Ltd
www.parabellum.com
A very rare image of just what Charly's 185 Yamaha looked like before the streamlined fairing* was installed. Charly says:
"Our chopped and lowered tall geared bare bike got about 200 mpg - mileage leaped to 300 mpg when the fairing was installed"
*Streamlined body
Second place in 1983, Dan Hanebrink 362 mpg!
1983-362-Hannebrink-web.jpg
1983-Hannebrink-smiling-web.jpg
2006-Hanebrink-web.jpg

Hanebrink at Big Sur
How close can you get and still not be #1? Dan's 362 vs Charly's 372! Dan Hanebrink is an amazing competitor and still going strong. I came across him again at Bonneville in 2006. He was there still trying to set records. He says that bits and pieces of his 1983 Streamliner are still inside the machine to the left.
Hanebrink-Bonne-web.jpg

Third place in 1983, Matt Guzzetta 252 mpg!
1983-252Guzetta-web.jpg
1983-Guzetta-filling-web.jpg

Matt filling up Daughter, Gina and I watch​
The modifications made in Matt's own words: Lengthened the wheel base, added about 4 degrees rake to the frame. The motor was modified by Fujio Yoshimura. He added the 6th gear from the Quadrunner LT125, the cam from the Quadrunner, smaller intake valve, and some internal work to reduce friction. We used the stock carburetor, air cleaner and filter from the GN-125.

2007-Guzzetta-in-museum.jpg

The Guzzetta bike still exists and is in the San Diego Automotive Museum, California. Thanks to Tim Whitehouse for the image.
Updated Aug. 20, 2007​

Gen 1: I am able to get about 100 before the light fairly consistently. On a couple uninterrupted rides, I have pulled 110-115.

Gen 2: Its the same. 100 before the light comes on. And this is highballing consistently on the interstate at 90-100mph on up. When I am cruising it I can hit 120-125 miles before the light. And when I mean cruising it, I mean 60-65mph. Cause in my area, there's two types of riding....stop and go with speeds less than 30 and interstate speeds where not even the legal 75 is fast enough without some monkey barreling down on you. There are only a few nice cruising roads to go on.

Non affiliated bike mileage, My Virago. 1982 with a 920 in it. The year I got my Iron Butt award, I crossed country, in the plains, I got 48mpg when normally I would pull 33-35mpg. I think that had to do with weather being at my back helping cause when I came back, mileage was normal and never got into the 40s.

And all these engines are stock performers.

I have a 1993 with venture rear differential and stage 7 with a Kerker and 17-inch rear wheel with a Shinko 190/17 tire and get somewhere around 90-100 miles before the light comes on, if I rider nice. I also have a "88" with 190/17 - Kerker and Vmax rear differential and Keihn down draft carbs, probably somewhere around 80-90 miles on a full tank.

Back