Hey y’all!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdCoastVmax

Reaction score
I haven’t gotten a Vmax just yet. Have a Vmax about 1.5 away that includes a ferry ride. It is a 2005 Vmax “Anniversary” edition with 47k miles. Guy states the fuel pump went out so he stopped riding it and it will need tires as well. Has it up for $2200, is that a fair price because I was going to offer lower around $1600. If this is the wrong section to do this I’m sorry just the only introduction to myself I have

Bought it yet? I would. Ask about 2nd gear jumping out of engagement.

1706359580243.png

If you want a Gen. 1, that's a good one to have. No harm in bargaining, but $2200 is a good price if tires & a fuel pump is all it needs. Take a look inside the fuel tank. You should see bright, shiny metal everywhere. Rust on the bottom means a cleaning session is needed, and probably a carburetor cleaning. Lots of information here about those topics, fuel pump replacement, gas tank cleaning, and carburetor cleaning, and also second gear replacement. I suggest a lithium battery, as they work better though they cost more.

1706359981942.png

A tip, take a look at the 20th anniversary tank badge behind the steering head. It should have a small plate with a number on it. If it doesn't, it
became unglued and fell-off.

I see it was listed 7 weeks ago, I would be surprised if someone hadn't bought it by now, and he hasn't deleted the listing. I'd call or text immediately.

Last edited:
When did he stop riding? If it's sat for 6 months or more then plan on doing the carbs and possibly the tank.

I’ve been in touch with the guy and no one has jumped on it. So I live in south Houston this is located all the way out on bolivar island so it’s a bit of a trip to get out there just to look at a bike you may not want to buy. An hour to the ferry, wait for the ferry, drive to his place on the island, load up the bike, and then back to the ferry, wait for the ferry, and then an hour drive home. It’s not an easily accessible place is why I think it’s still up and also the fact he put vmx so the search algorithm doesn’t bring it up when you search vmax.

I plan to go take a look at it or send an offer, wife works OT all day so I have the kid today and have another project bike to pick up at noon today. I’m also just as amazed as you that it hasn’t been picked up by now too

Whelp, I was busy picking up another project bike and forgot to tell the guy I’d take it and someone else got it. Kicking myself rn so the search continues

"The early bird gets the worm."

That's the lowest price (save one other) I've heard for a 20th anniversary VMax.

Yeah, I messed up big time. I was out picking up this 71’ cb450 and forgot to reply. I’ve been cussing myself ever since. Would’ve been a really good bike to have. But no sense in harping on it. Have a line on a guy with a 97 that wants to trade for my 08 bandit 1250. Here’s to this one going 100%

Back in the 1970's, I was taking classes at the local junior college for an EMS diploma. I used to attend with another co-worker. One day, I decided to ride my Kawasaki H1 500 two-stroke triple to the campus. I went to my buddy's home, and we decided to swap bikes for the trip. He had a CB450 parallel-twin.

When we arrived, I said to him, "I think you need to check your engine mounting bolts, I think they're loose, or a nut for one of the engine mounts fell-off." I hadn't checked them.

"Nah, it just shakes, that's the way it is!" he replied. A perfect example of high-amplitude/low frequency vibration vs. low-amplitude/high frequency (CB450/Kawasaki H1) vibration.

We have a new member in TX who may be the 'early-bird' who bought the 2005 Anniversary bike before you could get to it. He's in College Station (northwest of Houston for you fellas not in TX). He indicated it needed some work to return to the road.

Show us pics of the CB450, w/its 'hairspring' valvesprings. I recall when the CB450 was released, the 'turtle-tank,' capable of running with the bigger bikes like Triumph and BSA 650 cc parallel-twins. DOHC and a big twin leading shoe front brake were bragging rights back in the mid-1960's, when it was released. Japanese police departments used them back then.

1706447813473.png

Attachments

• 1706447796715.png
    1706447796715.png
    908.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well good on him for getting it, that’s a far drive to get there. Glad to see it stayed relatively close. I’ll go grab some pics of the bike, it’s not in the best of shape by any means, but I trade a gas dryer I had sitting in my garage since 2019

It will be a couple of weeks before I can start on it. I’ve got to get my front den sorted out so I can clear out some space in the garage to work on it

Wow, that is a real 'roach-coach!' I expect you're going to have to invest more $ than that bike would be worth. Downtubes, fork seals, rear shocks, seatcover, re-paint, front brake master cyl, front caliper rebuild, rear brake-shoes, a modern headlight, treating the gas tank interior, air-filter(s), probably brake, throttle and clutch cables. and whatever the engine needs. Does the engine turn-over on the kickstarter? Have rodents torn-up the wiring harness? Thank goodness those 'cool' pull-back handlebars are salvageable. Just kidding on that last one!

I suppose by doing alerts on ebay you may be able to find much of this stuff used. Race-Tech and Forking by Frank are two places to check for new downtubes.

I think you could have a very interesting story there, returning this bike from the grave, and so-doing at the least-cost. Take lots of pictures, and keep a file of your expenditures, including a time-sheet.

Here's a simple tool you can use to remove the master cyl piston from the master cyl if it doesn't want to come-out and is stuck.

1706467341542.png1706467363869.png

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/1972-honda-750-4-sohc.50102/#post-502853
A thread on re-working the caliper and the master cyl: Front brake help

I saved myself a lot of frustration by using a grease gun to force out a stuck piston from a SOHC Honda 750 I have.

1706467490944.png

In one of the threads I posted, there is a description about TIG welding the contour of the front brake cam where it contacts the master cylinder piston end, greatly-reducing the excess free-play, and making the brakes able to 'bite' more-quickly, There still is free-play, but nowhere near as-much as the way it was. A very worthwhile modification, costing nothing but a bit of welding time.

1706467978787.png1706468016375.png

I'll be interested in your process as you attack the Frugal CB450 Project.

Last edited:
Back