Ignition Coil Issue (Gen2)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2gboom

Reaction score
All,

I tested the resistance of the secondary coils (two pins on top of coil plug) and had consistent resistance measurements on 3/4 cylinders. They all came out to about 1.6 ohms. 1 of the cylinders however came out to 1.8-1.9 ohms. I am going to replace as its out of spec but want to hear what you guys think?

Generally that small of a difference, I will account for deviations in either the meter or the coil. Unless that is, there is a problem with that particular ignition coil. What is going on with the coil that you think a 0.2 ohm difference warrants replacement?

When replacing the spark plugs at the last service interval I tore the boot/rubber of the ignition coil a little bit. Bike ran fine for a few thousand miles. Just recently my bike developed a buzzing noise when putting my knees against the air scoops and im trying to discern what it could be.

Torn boot makes sense to replace. Dont want that bleeding through. As for the buzzing....I have that on mine as well. I always thought it was the fuel pump I was feeling.

Torn boot makes sense to replace. Dont want that bleeding through. As for the buzzing....I have that on mine as well. I always thought it was the fuel pump I was feeling.
Thats what I thought too. Maybe just a noisy fuel pump.

It's the dbw motors buzzing. Move the throttle and see if it changes.

It's the dbw motors buzzing. Move the throttle and see if it changes.
If its the buzzing that I hear on mine....its not those motors. This is a consistent buzz that does not change with engine RPM or vehicle speed. Its like a fuel pump constantly running at the same speed type buzz. Mine has had this since the first day I had it and it hasnt changed in the near 30K since I have owned it.

So I know what the dbw sounds like and its not that. My sound/vibration begins at 2500 rpm and scales with rpms. When wearing a helmet it helps me isolate that noise better from the wind and I can physically tell its between the two side scoops especially when I pinch my knees together on them.
If this sound was always present which its likely, it might have become more pronounced when I swapped out my body panels for carbon fiber ones and removed the rubber isolators and sound dampening.
If this is a new sound, I suspect something that is in the area proximately by cylinder head. With my bike currently at 31,000 miles it could be valvetrain wear but I am very particular about servicing this thing and have routine oil samples conducted that show very minimal wear.

Im not sure on that. I will reply when I find out.

When wearing a helmet it helps me isolate that noise better from the wind and I can physically tell its between the two side scoops especially when I pinch my knees together on them.
Cause I ride when its a bit chillier, I will do this. I noticed the buzzing when wearing a helmet. I live in a non helmet law state so I tried this without a helmet, environmental factors make it nonexistent. Mine doesnt change with RPMs. Mine is a constant drone like a fuel pump constantly working.

For me, when I have all the covers removed, the only thing for me that makes sense is the fuel pump as its fairly close to the placement of the knees.

For what its worth....in 30,000(ish) miles on my bike since I got it, the noise hasnt gotten worse or better. I account this noise as normal noises for the bike.

I am at almost 35,000 on mine. I know the difference between a valvetrain noise and electric motor hum. My valvetrain noise gets a touch louder as I get close to my oil change interval. It never taps, just that soft sewing machine type noise.

Issue resolved! I had screws loose in the bottom of the battery box. They loosened over time, one on each side of the bike and this caused buzzing throughout the bike!

Issue resolved! I had screws loose in the bottom of the battery box. They loosened over time, one on each side of the bike and this caused buzzing throughout the bike!
It's always the little things, right? Buzzes and vibrations drive me nuts...glad you found it.

Back