LED Replacement headlight, The Biggest, best light spread possible

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patineto

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already have a 9" bezel from a bmw R1100R, but i'm open to a smaller one too

So Far I like this one but i can not find a 9inch one

I used to ride from San francisco to LA [Mostlly} At NIght on my old GS with 420Watts of HID power, so i'm a declared Light freak

Please help sustain the Habit

Last edited:
I have found that a 7 inch bucket & bezel with whatever light source of your choice which fits, will be far-superior to the OEM 5-3/4" bucket. EMGO sells a decent one.

A 9" will certainly present a Cyclops appearance!

1702648781815.png

I have found that a 7 inch bucket & bezel with whatever light source of your choice which fits, will be far-superior to the OEM 5-3/4" bucket. EMGO sells a decent one.

A 9" will certainly present a Cyclops appearance!

View attachment 92220
Gracias senor.

Maybe i got confused with

the bmw headlight, much easier to find a 7inch

Thanks as always

I believe in the early 1980's the Suzuki GS1150E and ES had 8" buckets. However, you may not be able to locate LED-accepting reflectors for that size bucket.

I believe in the early 1980's the Suzuki GS1150E and ES had 8" buckets. However, you may not be able to locate LED-accepting reflectors for that size bucket.
You are the library of Alexandra whem it comes to vmax'ses and im sure many other topics too

Now the question is can the elecrtical system handle more lights thst a 120watt main light...??

Last edited:
Well your load is down when you substitute LED's for incandescent filament bulbs, After all, there aren't many high-load bulbs on a bike besides the head-and-taillamps and the turn signals.

I think a 120 watt headlight is > the system can service, especially in a traffic jam where you spend time at idle, and the other illumination loads.

1702687128474.png

Looks like about 281 watts on the stock lighting, plus the ignition load.

You can’t overstate the efficiency of LED lighting when compared to incandescent. Take in the home where you can replace a 50 watt halogen flood with a 7 watt LED and end up with equivalent lighting. I installed a 30 watt LED lamp in a 7” bucket just replacing the stock 55 watt bulb and the improvement was amazing. I believe you can buy a 50 watt LED H4 replacement that will fit a stock bucket, however I can’t vouch for what the beam spread would be, but it might be worth a try.
Your actual load on the alternator is much less than the 281 watts in the previous diagram when you take into account the continuous loads. Headlight (low or hi) max of 60 watt, tail 16 watt, running 24 watt and meter 16 watt for a total of 116. All the others are intermittent and not calculated at 100%. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Well your load is down when you substitute LED's for incandescent filament bulbs, After all, there aren't many high-load bulbs on a bike besides the head-and-taillamps and the turn signals.

I think a 120 watt headlight is > the system can service, especially in a traffic jam where you spend time at idle, and the other illumination loads.

View attachment 92236

Looks like about 281 watts on the stock lighting, plus the ignition load.
I love your precision..
One ofvthe few things my vmax need real is the charging system, half the parts are already swap but the problem still around..

maybe i worry abiut the one headlight, check the charging when she is ridable until is fixed and then worry about the extra lights

In anycase thanks for the exelent input

Somewhere around here I have an old GS light assembly if you are interested. Hard to come by and not sure of what it's worth is. You would also have to custom fit it (was on an inverted fork set).
Screenshot_1.jpg

IMG_20160321_165023867.jpg

Somewhere around here I have an old GS light assembly if you are interested. Hard to come by and not sure of what it's worth is. You would also have to custom fit it (was on an inverted fork set).
View attachment 92247

View attachment 92248
Thanks senor Sean but if i can not find the right diameter on a LED light is kind of pointless

Im resignated to run extra lights but im used to that..

Two laser beams from.my crahes ktm 640 & 660 rally bikes mounted on rudimentary gimble justvto offend the bmw purist

Work great lanesplitting
In san francisco freeways

https://patineto.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/RICKYs-BIKES/n-qCSJwj/Black-GS/The-MOSES-Light

Why not just installing axillary lights? There are cheap and not bad options. I have one set which cost $40 and is fine. But I am planning on investing in something really bright. When crossing USA I had a few all night rides and you just must have something powerful to see what's ahead of you. The brightest is Denali D7 lights, but they have a whole line of lights. I'd suggest checking out Denali D7 or D4.

Why not just installing axillary lights? There are cheap and not bad options. I have one set which cost $40 and is fine. But I am planning on investing in something really bright. When crossing USA I had a few all night rides and you just must have something powerful to see what's ahead of you. The brightest is Denali D7 lights, but they have a whole line of lights. I'd suggest checking out Denali D7 or D4.
Most of my powerlights are from a forgoted age, all massive 65w 4000kelvin HID..

I do have a pair of borg wagner Aux lights that a trucker [designer of trucks] send me and they are H4 so they can be connected to the main beam.

Led's i rode a baja design sponsored bike at the baja 1000 and they where incredibly bright and ultra sturdy but they cost like $1500 at the time..

Time to watch the dakar and try to figure out what they are running, im out of that loop so everything is kind of top secret

Just be glad things have change

▶️ Watch this reel
https://www.facebook.com/share/r/khkJsG6okWZnp9VT/?mibextid=Eb7KZX&s=yWDuG2&fs=e

Back