My old Vmax is up for sale

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marauder03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy I sold my Gen 1 to called me the other night and said I had 1st dibs on it, how much? 4K, well that’s what I sold it to him for and he’s barely ridden it. The thing is I’m seeing some super clean 1st Gens for sale less expensive than that one but that one has all my personal touches, grips, shift light, volt meter and highway pegs. All of these I added and would want on any Gen1 but it’s all they’re ready to go. I’m thinking 4K is high what are your thoughts? It’s an 89

Attachments

• IMG_3533.png
    IMG_3533.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
If it has no significant issues in operation, I'd say an easy sale asking $3500 and taking something between that and $3K. It looks clean, and despite being the end of the riding season, I think you could get $3500 from someone who knows the bikes and wants one with no issues, and well-maintained. You might want to take it for a ride as 'hardly used' to me could mean that by now the pilot jets need cleaning to work properly. Hopefully that is not the case. You could see if there's any buyers at 'asking $4K' and see what turns up, and what pricing they are offering.

FYI...I sold my '88 in not nearly as good condition as this one for $3K. It sold quick, so maybe it was a bit low.

I suspect the seller may take less from the original seller than he paid for it. No hassles, dealing with a known person, and a quick sale.

I suspect the seller may take less from the original seller than he paid for it. No hassles, dealing with a known person, and a quick sale.

Depends on his negotiating skills.

Arguments:

- Everything's gone up in price. With inflation I'm taking a loss at selling it for what I paid
- These are getting hard to find
- All the maintenance has been done and it's ready to go
- I fixed bla, bla, bla,,, so you're getting that work for free

As far as the price, I paid $2500 for one in similar condition with extras but that was during covid so I think $3500 is spot on.

As someone who just exited the buying market, it doesn't seem bad to me. As someone else already mentioned, between inflation and the fact the gen 1's haven't even been built for nearly 20 years, they're getting tougher to find. Especially one you know the history of. If you're truly in the market, why quibble over a few hundred bucks? I looked casually for 3 years, ideally I wanted the newest I could get with the lowest miles I could find and the least molesting that'd been done. It'd have been different if I'd been the one to do the molesting.

Maybe it's just my opinion but, provided it's in a similar condition as when you sold it to him, seems like poor form to try to 'grind' him for a few hundred dollars. I realize everyone wants a deal and money may be tight these days but it's your bike, you know what was done to it and the maintenance history and it sounds like it was relatively well taken care of...I'd give him the $4K and get 'my' bike back.

Back