New HD Stater Clutch Installed - Does not freewheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semi239

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I installed a new HD starter clutch from our own Sean Morley. I followed the guide produced by 9 Ton Mantis and MaxMighnight(attached).
After install when I start the bike, the idler gear will not freewheel and it turns the starter. I pulled the cover back off and confirmed this. When turning the engine over all gears still spin causing the starter to spin in turn.

I pulled the flywheel off again and on the bench the clutch worked as intended. As it is torqued down on the crankshaft it will not freewheel. It's like it becomes pinched so that it moves along with the crank.

What did I miss? What thoughts/suggestions do you all have?
I've attached a video that shows the gear now idling, pushing the starter.

Attachments

• 20231108_213754.mp4
    15.6 MB
  • Flywheel.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hi all,

I installed a new HD starter clutch from our own Sean Morley. I followed the guide produced by 9 Ton Mantis and MaxMighnight(attached).
After install when I start the bike, the idler gear will not freewheel and it turns the starter. I pulled the cover back off and confirmed this. When turning the engine over all gears still spin causing the starter to spin in turn.

I pulled the flywheel off again and on the bench the clutch worked as intended. As it is torqued down on the crankshaft it will not freewheel. It's like it becomes pinched so that it moves along with the crank.

What did I miss? What thoughts/suggestions do you all have?
I've attached a video that shows the gear now idling, pushing the starter.
Sean Morley will be happy to talk with you. I suggest dealing with him.

The root issue has not been identified yet.
The problem was the replacement flywheel/HD starter clutch/idler gear was not allowing the idler gear to spin freely. Thus when the motor was running, it turned the starter over with it.
The solution was to provide my stock flywheel up for machining. When it returned it worked perfectly.

Back