New Low ET at the Tues night drags

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lankeeyankee

Reaction score
Just got home from the Tuesday night drags
They had the track prepped awesome :eusa_dance:
I havent got the steel NOS lines leakproof yet so I didnt even bother spraying Sucks though cause everyone at the track tonight figured I was running NOS turning 6's in the eighth mile
Stock 85 Engine
My Stage 3 DEFCO CARB KIT
170-80-15 Shinko Rear tire (if I had a good 17 I would be faster)
Stock swingarm
Front End Strapped Down (as usual)

Tonights low ET as the following

60FT= 1.5880
330 FT= 4.4689
594 FT= 6.4802
1-8 ET= 6.9320
1-8 MPH= 100.83 :eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

MPH dropped I dont know I just changed my plugs from DRP8 to DPR9's would a colder plug hurt MPH I have hit 101 before that would have brought it to 6.80's

Just wait till the NOS braided hose come in and I am Spraying shooting for high 6.20's at around 113MPH

faster short times = faster acceleration which in turn would mean faster mph on the other end. 2 mph could be something as small as the way that you were tucking. Say for instance you didn't keep your toes tucked in to the bike and your elbows down. that would be enough to hurt your trap speeds. you have to be very mindful of making yourself part of the bike to keep from working as a parachute.

faster short times = faster acceleration which in turn would mean faster mph on the other end.

When comparing two different vehicles that could hold true. However when in the same vehicle, same weight, same hp, it generally means less wheel spin on the short end. I do understand what your saying about tucking though.

Wheel spin causes a "sling shot" effect, so as your slower at the 60 ft, your mph can increase, causing a slower ET, as you didn't get out of the whole fast enough, yet a higher mph.

This is the reason guys run the white line on the slick to see what the wheel speed is off the launch pad. You want some tire spin, just not too much.

faster short times = faster acceleration which in turn would mean faster mph on the other end. 2 mph could be something as small as the way that you were tucking. Say for instance you didn't keep your toes tucked in to the bike and your elbows down. that would be enough to hurt your trap speeds. you have to be very mindful of making yourself part of the bike to keep from working as a parachute.

NOT True, MPH is based on HP at the dragstrip if all gears are met and each gear is shifted at the same set RPM is doesnt matter if you 60ft a 1.55 or if you pop a wheelie and 60ft a 1.70 you will still run within 1MPH.
I will agree with the tucking in part, yes even if you have a loose jacket on it will slow your et & mph cause your going down the track looking like a flag whipping in the wind.

mph is not based solely on hp. it's more based on rpm like was stated above. i will agree that some spinning is good, but on a bike that makes a lot of torque it is much better not to ever break the tire loose as it tends to cause a greasing effect. I'd rather just skim the front tire. Remember that you can change your 60ft drastically by the way that you stage. Stage deep, faster 60ft times. stage shallow, slower 60 ft times.

mph is not based solely on hp. it's more based on rpm like was stated above. i will agree that some spinning is good, but on a bike that makes a lot of torque it is much better not to ever break the tire loose as it tends to cause a greasing effect. I'd rather just skim the front tire. Remember that you can change your 60ft drastically by the way that you stage. Stage deep, faster 60ft times. stage shallow, slower 60 ft times.

Yes if you spin off the line your mph will increase a lil but not drastic.
Yes if you stage deeper your 60ft will be faster but decrease your mph.

Most that stage deep are on a pro tree that there bikes cant react quick enough due to a soft setup with the clutch. Not all races allow deep staging. Also deep staging will cause a redlight once in awhile if the tree controller isnt aware you are staging deep, and if you roll the beam its a red light.
The VMAX makes a lot of low end torque compared to a sport bike at those RPM ranges during the launch. Thats why to get the best holeshot you want to keep your RPMS where you make the most torque by controlling the clutch. I try to keep my RPMS around 7800-8500 during the first 40 feet of a launch if the tire can hold it, slicker tracks I will lower the launch rpm to around 6000

Staging also effects numbers down the whole track, slower ET, lower mph all things being equal in say a deep stage scenario.

I'm still going to disagree about tire spin. The right amount has to be in place, otherwise it's bogging and E/T is left on the table.

Staging also effects numbers down the whole track, slower ET, lower mph all things being equal in say a deep stage scenario.

I'm still going to disagree about tire spin. The right amount has to be in place, otherwise it's bogging and E/T is left on the table.

Bogging is due to unexpierenced riders that dont understand clutch control.
But you are correct in away though if you are running a small CC bike with a delay box.
Lowest 60FT times are from a High RPM Tire Hooking to the track..

But I am sure you have more expierence along with more passes down the dragstrip than me please tell me more to lower my 60ft times or even better take your VMAX to your local dragstrip and attach your time slip. I am very interested in learning more about "lil tire spin" to lower my ET

Bogging is due to unexpierenced riders that dont understand clutch control.
But you are correct in away though if you are running a small CC bike with a delay box.
Lowest 60FT times are from a High RPM Tire Hooking to the track..

But I am sure you have more expierence along with more passes down the dragstrip than me please tell me more to lower my 60ft times or even better take your VMAX to your local dragstrip and attach your time slip. I am very interested in learning more about "lil tire spin" to lower my ET

You'd be amazed at what your tire is doing when put to the time lapse photography or a friend watching your white stripe on the slick, you may be spinning that tire and not knowing it. When 8000+ HP cars rely on wheel spin for good short times (330ft not 60 ft) and ET's, it goes all the way down to the piddly 120 horse these bikes put down, or the piddly 530 horse my last Mustang put down too.

It is a balance though you can have a good 60 foot and a slower ET to a worse 60 ft per say for the same reason.

OH, and as far as more passes etc, how could that be possible. Didn't you invent dirt or something, no way I've been on the planet long enough to have more passes than a "pro rider" ;) :D

In fact, zero on a bike, but I know how drag chassis' work, and have had my hands on a few and pitted for a few.

The VMAX makes a lot of low end torque compared to a sport bike at those RPM ranges during the launch.

My little sport bike makes 91 lb/ft of torque at 4500 rpm... Remember, some of our sport bikes make 170+ hp and 105+ lb/ft of torque.

I am very interested in learning more about "lil tire spin" to lower my ET

I'm gonna jump in here and ask the question that's begging to be asked. not really knowing anything but just using logic; not that means anything in the real world. This has nothing to do with who's technique is better or more effective....

Here's my question....

What's the difference between;

1. A controlled tire spin that's on the ragged edge of a full bite but not a 100% full bite with no slip..........

And

2. A controlled clutch slip that's on the ragged edge of a full bite not a 100% full bite with no slip.........

Last edited:
I'm gonna jump in here and ask the question that's begging to be asked. not really knowing anything but just using logic; not that means anything in the real world. This has nothing to do with who's technique is better or more effective....

Here's my question....

1. A controlled tire spin that's on the ragged edge of a full bite not not a 100% full bite with no slip..........

And

2. A controlled clutch slip that's on the ragged edge of a full bite not a 100% full bite with no slip.........
well I'm not sure .
But I know when I run sportsman class in gainesville for 2 years .
I raced a 1968 mustang . running 12.90's
I started with street tires and the car would spin out the hole .
So after a bit and saving money I decided to buy m/t slicks to hookup
After having the slicks my 60' times got slower < from 1.65's to 1.79's
Reason , because my car would bog more out the hole with the slicks
once I got used to the slower 60' times
I then realized by shifting short into third my quarter mile time picked back up .

Last edited:

Here's my question....

1. A controlled tire spin that's on the ragged edge of a full bite not not a 100% full bite with no slip..........

And

Difference being the "sling shot effect" per say that the wheel spin creates.

though some of the fastest 1/4 mile times where done with the bogg method...lankee good job..proof is in the slips.......like the spin method if it works or not

though some of the fastest 1/4 mile times where done with the bogg method...lankee good job..proof is in the slips.......like the spin method if it works or not

I had a 4HP Mini Bike when I was a kid. I would put some used motor oil down and get the tire spinning this would cause me to take off quickly. Yuppp tire spin is the key to fast holeshots your all correct.

Post your E/T slips and 60ft times

Latest posts

Back