New to the Forum, Great site!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintard

Reaction score
Hey guys ive been lingering around like a fart for about a week or so. This is by far the best site i have found and believe me ive done extensive research with all the time on my hands. Im a member of some of the yahoo groups and the vmaxbitz.com forums and i can tell you im glad i found your site. I hope this place gets booming with members and we can have one hell of a community.

In june i bought my 97 max, she has 8,000 miles on her and i paid 5,825$ for her off ebay from a guy here in central illinois. I cant say if i got a good deal or not but im glad i bought her. heres the link to the auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=4649607450&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

The only problems i have had so far with the bike besides being a little less clean than i expected is the plug wires are coroded so i have 10 foot of 7mm copper core wire on its way. I also get some backfiring (even when warmed up) So i think ill do the shotgun if the new wires dont help. I just bought a carb syncing tool off jcwhitney, http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...roup?Ntt=standard+4+guage&reviewflag=1#review so ill be syncing my carbs soon. I did an idle circuit plug check and i had 3 soot black and 1 tan. Changed the plugs when i did it from crap splitfire to stock ngk and i havnt checked them since.

I also purchased a new set of turn signals which if possible in the near future with some advice i plan to convert to LED. Heres the signals i got, billet aluminum with smoke lenses.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...00005402639&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1 as well as an led tail light kit which i opted for a smoke lens as well (not very dark) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...90005852011&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1 I havnt been home yet to install but im hoping these aditions will look hot on the bike and not get me in trouble with the cops.

Before i end my essay of senseless rambling may i ask if anyone knows where to get or pricing on the radiator side covers? I had a couple cracks in mine from age so i took them off and the screwholes basically disentigrated into a million pieces so im running without the side covers on the radiators now. I wouldnt mind buying one of the aftermarket ones but i dont want shiny chrome i either want it to look stock or black

Well....Thanks for letting me join and i hope to be a contributing member to these forums as well as soak up a wealth of useful information. Peace

Clint, welcome to the Suck! :) Seriously, have fun. checkout vmaxbitz.com or exactrep.com for good radiator side covers. Since your in IL, will you be coming to the Topeka, KS dyno day? :) It's going to be a hoot.

'97 and '96 are my favorite years....after my '89 and Kloker's '88 :)

Ride safe!

Welcome to the VMax Forum!

Great intro. Looking forward to hearing how you are getting along with tuning up your bike.

Talk to you soon,
G Man

97 is absolutely my favorite year. I waited about 3 months watching ebay like a hawk for a 97 that was relatively close to me so i jumped on this bike like flies on S***. As for showing up for dyno day, i havnt heard about it so i dont know when it is etc, but with the job i have its probably a negative. I travel all over the place so im rarely home. Believe me when im home for the 2-3 days at a time i get off rarely, im on maxine or tinkering with her with every spare second i have. Ive checked excetrep and vmaxbitz for side covers for the radiator, and i dont like the ones i found. I want something that dosnt stand out too much. If i could find a set of originals for a decent price that would be GREAT, i like how they look with the silver/black paint scheme on it. Maybe i could find a set of fiberglass ones that arent too extreme looking and paint them myself a silver/black 2 tone. As for tuning the bike, i havnt done the shotgun yet, as im pretty scared of ripping apart the carbs and im really scared of messing up the rubber diaphrams and having to buy new slides!! I know its missing intermitidly so i think the new spark wires will be a big help. Hopefully so is syncing the carbs, never done it before so its gonna be a handful. Does anyone know any information on converting to led lighting for turn signals? I know i have to buy a thing to slow down the blink rate but i wouldnt know what to buy if it bit me in the ass. I plan on having led's all the way around as well as a brighter headlight in the future. Im even looking at a set of kerker slipons on ebay for 500$ but i dont know if i would like the sound over the cobra slashcuts i have now. I Know they are restrictive but damn they sound good! Not too loud Not too quiet.

Before i go again i just wanted to say i put some hardleys to shame on maxine even with her running the way she is, EAT MY DUST HARLEY MUAHAHAHA

Thanks guys, looking forward to hearing back, Peace

I made some stainless side covers today.My wife bought me the stainless rad grill and scoop grills with flames and a skull from ebay.They are nice but my stock sides were junk.I 'll post some pics after I get them sanded and buffed.

Thanks a lot maleko, ill be watching those. If they end up being relatively expensive i wont mess with them. Maleko how much did you pay for the excetrep rad covers you have with your vmoa discount? I would be happy with that look but black instead of the chrome. Im not big into chrome it looks alright but i think on my bike it would look better black.

Cant wait to see the rad side covers you made!! How did you make them? Thanks a lot guys

Clint, I got them for Christmas several years ago from my parents and the discount wasn't used. I would email them and ask them for a quote.

Welcome to the forum :cheers00:

Post early and often.... It's good to see more and more people join up here! Especially folks that dig into the machine for themselves. Share the knowledge and everyone benefits. Welcome!

I finished polishing these side covers I made tonight.

Attachments

• IM000747_edited.jpg
    IM000747_edited.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IM000746_edited.jpg
    IM000746_edited.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 17
shawn kloker said:
Oooo shiny!! :thumbup1: Unless it's chrome, I can't make it shine... I'm going to have to learn the art of metal polishing.

I'm in the same boat. However, my wife wanted to learn how to polish metal before she bought the uber-camera, now she's taking photography classes. Maybe I'll break out the ploshing kit I bought her and start playing with it myself.

Couldn't hurt right?

shawn kloker said:

Wow they look really good! May i ask how you made them? I have access to a press is it just a sheet bent in certain places? I cant really tell from the pics, Thanks :You_Rock:

Back