No power to starter, found problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnlee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took my 94 vmax apart to do some engine and frame painting. When I put the parts back on I had power to everything but the servo motor and starter. When I jiggled the connector wires that go to the instrument cowl, I think that is what it is called, I got power. I hope this helps someone.

With Bike Week coming, you want to have things squared-away. You could have a nearly-broken wire, a corroded M-F plug, or something else. DEOXIT is a good electrical contact cleaner, not cheap but it works.

You don't want to break-down on your way to the Cabbage Patch and miss-out on the cole-slaw wrestling, I hear the petite miss who has won multi-times previously is returning to defend her streak, you don't want to miss that because of an easy permanent fix, do you? 🤔

Agree with Mr Medic, if jiggling fixed it it could also unfix it.

As far as connections are concerned the only bit you are interested in is where they make contact.
Provided the female part grips the male then making and breaking the connection a couple of times is sufficient to clean the contact areas.

I definitely found the problem The brown wire at the servo motor plug overheated and corroded at the connection. I cleaned it and with some dielectric grease i hope this is the fix. Why do you think it got hot? I started up the bike and the plug did get a little warm right away.

the plug did get a little warm right away.
Corrosion causes resistance/overheating, maybe there is corrosion inside the insulation, which you cannot see. Check for continuity on the line while flexing it along its path.

I definitely found the problem The brown wire at the servo motor plug overheated and corroded at the connection. I cleaned it and with some dielectric grease i hope this is the fix. Why do you think it got hot? I started up the bike and the plug did get a little warm right away.
Perform a volt drop test on circuity to find the issue.

Electrical connectors get hot when there is resistance due to poor contact. Make sure they are clean and tight then they shouldn't get hot.

Corrosion causes resistance/overheating,
Electrical connectors get hot when there is resistance due to poor contact
I definitely found the problem The brown wire at the servo motor plug overheated and corroded at the connection
One of the common issues with the VMax is the batch of 3 stator wires which travel along the left side of the frame, terminating at a white molded nylon M-F connector. It's very common to see that white nylon plug turn into crumbly brown powder because of the high-voltage AC current through the stator wires, on their way to the regulator/rectifier. Many owners solder those wires together rather than install a new M-F plug.

Let me re-phrase that, "many owners solder those wires together." Someone who is not experienced-enough might think, "solder the three wires together, as in '3 into 1.' No, what I meant is that each individual wire from the alternator should be soldered to its corresponding wire running into the R/R. The three stator wires do not have any order, any one stator wire can be joined to any one wire going into the R/R as-if those R/R wires originally ended at the white nylon plug.

Last edited:
Probably better to ensure good connection at the plug than to solder the wires together unless they are burnt?
Make and break the connection a few time. Inspect the female half and if necessary tighten the connector. It should be a tight fit onto the other half. For belt and braces apply a little dielectric grease.

Back