Non-bike Electrical Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the delran is nice unit but no way do i need to spend $35 on each sump system.

why do you think .2amps would over charge the battery on a smart system?

On a "smart" system, it wouldn't be delivering .2a constantly. Once a certain voltage is reached, it would switch from "charge" current to a "maintain" current, which should be much lower. 200mA would be a slow charge but too high for "maintenance"....batteries don't lose power that fast on their own.

On a "smart" system, it wouldn't be delivering .2a constantly. Once a certain voltage is reached, it would switch from "charge" current to a "maintain" current, which should be much lower. 200mA would be a slow charge but too high for "maintenance"....batteries don't lose power that fast on their own.

oh yea def

the 'control' panel seemed to be cycling between .2/.1/0 amps when i could get a reading. no idea what voltage though.

the batteries seems to be normalizing at like ~12.5x volts. not sure if thats where they should have been and the 'float' charger didn't have enough to bring them 'up' to it, or it just takes longer to discharge at this voltage because from what i've read deep cycle batteries are FULL at 12.6V

Correct your are....

I work with station power battery sytems for utility companies and a set of 125 dc batteries big enough to fill your garage only require about 2 amps to "float" even with the slight load on them, protective relays, indicator lamps and stuff like that.

i put a cheapo HF 'smart' charger on them and it seems to be delivering in the 13.2 - 13.3V range. does that seem too high. also yea the amperage seems high at 3.5 - 4amps.

i put a cheapo HF 'smart' charger on them and it seems to be delivering in the 13.2 - 13.3V range. does that seem too high. also yea the amperage seems high at 3.5 - 4amps.

13.2-13.3 is ok.

Is the amperage your stating what the charger is rated at or did you get an actual reading on true amperage somehow?

The ratings are usually the max it's capable of, but battery condition should dictate what the puts out in amps.

If you had a charger with an ammeter and put it on a "low" (not dead) battery, it might show 3-4 amps for a few minutes but should rapidly come down as battery voltage goes up.

my personal experience with deep cycle batteries, is that if you don't use a "deep cycle" charger they won't take there full charge. perhaps every 6 months give them a "deep cycle " charge. Then leave the maintainer on them the rest of the time. I have always been able to get them back out from going bad by using a "deep cycle" charger..

Gannon

13.2-13.3 is ok.

Is the amperage your stating what the charger is rated at or did you get an actual reading on true amperage somehow?

The ratings are usually the max it's capable of, but battery condition should dictate what the puts out in amps.

If you had a charger with an ammeter and put it on a "low" (not dead) battery, it might show 3-4 amps for a few minutes but should rapidly come down as battery voltage goes up.

yea i put an amp meter in line between the positive terminal and the positive end of the charger. i'll have to double check it again soon.

my personal experience with deep cycle batteries, is that if you don't use a "deep cycle" charger they won't take there full charge. perhaps every 6 months give them a "deep cycle " charge. Then leave the maintainer on them the rest of the time. I have always been able to get them back out from going bad by using a "deep cycle" charger..

Gannon

is a smart charger different from a deep cycle charger? this one is supposed to be able to do deep cycle.

yea i put an amp meter in line between the positive terminal and the positive end of the charger. i'll have to double check it again soon.

is a smart charger different from a deep cycle charger? this one is supposed to be able to do deep cycle.

Did I miss something in a previous post by not reading all of them?

Were we talking about deep cycle batteries? If so I would think completely discharged they might take a lot of current for a lengthy time? don't hae much actual experience with those tho...

Did I miss something in a previous post by not reading all of them?

Were we talking about deep cycle batteries? If so I would think completely discharged they might take a lot of current for a lengthy time? don't hae much actual experience with those tho...

yea deep cycle batteries, better for this type of use, since when they are used they may be used 'til dead.

is a smart charger different from a deep cycle charger? this one is supposed to be able to do deep cycle.[/QUOTE]

You know Garrett I M not for sure. but if it is a smart charger I think it needs to go back to school! one other thing your batteries are not sitting directly on concrete are they? They say if placing a battery on the floor always sit it on a piece of wood. The old story goes that the cement drains the batteries..

Gannon

nah i need to do some more research and testing. and they're not on concrete they're on a shelf tapcon'd into the concrete walls.

Back