Requesting a few pictures of the speedometer with rear cover removed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F 18 Driver

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

If convenient, could someone please forward a few good quality detailed pictures of the rear and the sides of the speedometer where the chrome cover has been removed.

I specifically looking for the back and the sides to determine if the speedometer can be opened and repaired

Thank you for your time and consideration.

F-18 driver

On a gen 1 or a gen 2? The gen 1 can have the outer stainless shield carefully peeled back where it is crimped on the body.

Good morning, one2dmax

I need the pictures for gen 1

I really need to look at the plastic housing after it's been removed from the chrome cover.

I am trying to determine if the speedometer internals can be repaired or is it sealed in the plastic housing in such a way that it can't be opened…

Thanks for getting back to me.

F1 driver

here you go. looks like it is not easly dissisembled. it will not come apart from the back. I think the chrome ring is formed over the top and would reguire removal for internal repair.20231029_133654.jpg20231029_133622.jpg20231029_133607.jpg

Last edited:
Correct, and the chrome ring will definitely get damaged when opening it. But you can rotate the ring so the damage is on the bottom where you don't see it. The white plastic tends to chip so make sure you clean out all particles before reassembly.

Hello everyone,

If convenient, could someone please forward a few good quality detailed pictures of the rear and the sides of the speedometer where the chrome cover has been removed.

I specifically looking for the back and the sides to determine if the speedometer can be opened and repaired

Thank you for your time and consideration.

F-18 driver
In the UK there are companies that will repair and refurbish tachos and speedos to a professional standard. If I were you I would check on line to see if there are any in the USA. I'm sure there will be.

Hi Hondaman,

Thank you, for taking your time to forwarding the detail photos that I requested… Exactly what I was looking for.

I forwarded the pictures to the local speedometer shop and he's not comfortable disassembling the unit… (He is worried that it will crack and break upon disassembly and doesn't want to be responsible)

Thus I have to look for low mileage new Speedo.

Thanks everybody else for chiming in.

Yours truly,

F 18 driver

no problem. i installed a big tach and removed the speedometer. it was sitting in a box. If you plan on replacing it you loose nothing by dissisembling your old one. This is how we figure out how things work.

Back