Steering Head

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the06vmaxer

Reaction score
So I got around to tightening the steering head bearings. Got it all down to using the hammer and screwdriver, as I didn't want to do nothing to extreme, just seeing how that would help.

It worked well, was lightly tapping on it, tightening it up, using the bounce method. However I came to a problem, the nut wouldn't tight up anymore using the hammer. I didn't want to hit it to hard, but it seemed like it wouldn't go anymore. However it would still bounce off the stops.

Any suggestions? I have never done it before so it was the first time since new. I got 7xxx km's on it.

Should I try tapping again after going for a ride? Would it be bottoming out already? Thanks for the help!

and just as important, either the top triple tree clamp bolts or the bottom ones. one of those sets has to be loose

Did you disassemble the upper head stock to get to just the two nuts?

Follow these instructions to the T!

http://www.vmaxforum.net/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=1&id=38

Ahh Bullshit! You don't need to remove all that crap and the only thing the Furber fix does is make that E-Bay guy mad cash by selling idiots 10 cent washers for $10.00 ea. The only thing you need to do is loosen that top nut and use the method you stated with the hammer and screwdriver. I did it, works great and solved the head shake. I would ride the bike first though. Even if the bars still have a slight bounce, as long as the head shake is gone, leave it alone. If you tighten it too much you will cause a high speed weave.

Ahh Bullshit! You don't need to remove all that crap and the only thing the Furber fix does is make that E-Bay guy mad cash by selling idiots 10 cent washers for $10.00 ea. The only thing you need to do is loosen that top nut and use the method you stated with the hammer and screwdriver. I did it, works great and solved the head shake. I would ride the bike first though. Even if the bars still have a slight bounce, as long as the head shake is gone, leave it alone. If you tighten it too much you will cause a high speed weave.

+1
I loosened the pinch bolts on my lower triple tho in addition to the top nut.

I loosened the top triple tree clamps, and also had to take my handlebar assembly off, just so I could loosen the big chrome nut in the center. I might take a look at it again, since I went for a 500 km trip after playing with it.

I just read somewhere that you should get the bounce out of it. So thats what I was going for. Perhaps I might try the loosening the lower triple clamps aswell.

I haven't gotten a good opportunity to play around too much yet with it. I did loosen the top nut. But I will continue to tinker with it.

Thanks for all the help guys. This place is a great resource.

Keep the shiny side up.

I loosened the top triple tree clamps, Perhaps I might try the loosening the lower triple clamps aswell.
QUOTE]

BEWARE. If you loosen both top and bottom the fork can come out of the trees. Or, if bike weight is on them it can sink down to the ground.

No need to remove bars to get to the chrome nut. Turn bars full lock left. Use a big ol open end. 1 1/16" I think. Line the wrench with some tape if your anal. Crack the chrome nut loose. Loosen triple pinch bolts. Tighten the castellated adjusting nuts. Tighten pinch bolts. Turn bars full lock right. Tighten the chrome nut.

Take your tools with you & adjust and test till you get it right.
Use slip-joint pliers & turn both nuts at once.
It will need to be much tighter than what seems resonable.
You have to get it real tight to make it weave at speed.

Hmmm. Okay. Will have to give those a try. I was aware that if I loosend all the pinch bolts that it would/could slide out on me. Thats kind of why I left them alone the first time. When you guys tightened yours did they still bounce off the stops? I might just leave them for a little bit and see how it goes. I had a 1 inch wrench, then had to go up to a 1 1/8, thats why I had to go bigger, so I could get my 1 1/16 socket on there. Might have to go pick one of those ups tho so I don't have to tear it all apart again. Where did you buy your spanner wrench? Could I get it at my yamaha dealer? Or perhaps cheaper at say a tool store? Snap on, husky?

Hmmm. Okay. Will have to give those a try. I was aware that if I loosend all the pinch bolts that it would/could slide out on me. Thats kind of why I left them alone the first time. When you guys tightened yours did they still bounce off the stops? I might just leave them for a little bit and see how it goes. I had a 1 inch wrench, then had to go up to a 1 1/8, thats why I had to go bigger, so I could get my 1 1/16 socket on there. Might have to go pick one of those ups tho so I don't have to tear it all apart again. Where did you buy your spanner wrench? Could I get it at my yamaha dealer? Or perhaps cheaper at say a tool store? Snap on, husky?

well you want to either keep your top tripple clamp bolts tight or your bottoms but u have to loosen one or the other to move the forks..

my 27mm i got at harbor freight.

the spanner wrench i got on ebay. they aren't cheap. prepare to spend like 30 at a normal store, or like $75-$100 for the 'yamaha tool'

Latest posts

Back