Tire Choices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the information. That spreadsheet is where I got some of my information along with reading posts. I just found the Shinko 230's in OEM sizes for $144.98 with free shipping. Do you think I would be unhappy with the Shinko front tire? I'm thinking for that price it may be worth a try. If I mount them myself, are the Dyan Beads good for balancing or do I need to go to a shop?

Have you tried ebay? My Shinko rear tire was 90 dollers. I have used the dyna beads and really like them. I went down the interstate and at 70 mph...there was a vibration on the mirrors, so they were hard to see....went back to the house, put the beads in, and went back to the same spot at the same MPH. Considerable less vibration in the mirrors.

I run Shinko front and rear, and have been happy, but I do know that I will probably have to change them towards the end of the season.

Thank you for the information. That spreadsheet is where I got some of my information along with reading posts. I just found the Shinko 230's in OEM sizes for $144.98 with free shipping. Do you think I would be unhappy with the Shinko front tire? I'm thinking for that price it may be worth a try. If I mount them myself, are the Dyan Beads good for balancing or do I need to go to a shop?
A lot of Guys run the Shinko Front and are happy with it, I personally run pretty hard in the Twistys and prefer to have a higher Quality front tire.
I've never used the Shinko front so I really can't comment on it.

My Lasertech front lasted about 12K Miles and I'm expecting to get about the same out of the Batlaxx, the Shinko front tends to need to be changed every season from what I've read.

As for DynaBeads, again I have never used them but many people do and like them.
I've also seen my neighbor use them on 2 different sets of tires on his Triumph America.
The 1st time he was happy but with the second set (same brand/model tires, same bike) he had a severe wobble that was only fixed by getting it balanced with conventional weights.
It seems to me that they work fine if the tire is pretty well balanced without weights but NOT if the tire actually needs balancing but that's just my opinion from what I've seen and read.
I personally ride Hard so I always go with conventional weights just to be safe.

Have you tried ebay? My Shinko rear tire was 90 dollers. I have used the dyna beads and really like them. I went down the interstate and at 70 mph...there was a vibration on the mirrors, so they were hard to see....went back to the house, put the beads in, and went back to the same spot at the same MPH. Considerable less vibration in the mirrors.

I run Shinko front and rear, and have been happy, but I do know that I will probably have to change them towards the end of the season.

$144.98 includes the front and rear. Rear is $82.99. Front is $61.99.

Well it looks like I found a local guy to get the tires from. Shinko 230's in OEM size mounted and balanced for $210. I take the wheels off and carry to him. I am getting them tomorrow.
Thanks for all the input!

$210 is a good price. The shinko front tire is 149 mph worth of quality. It rolls out nice and the price is write. However that being said its a soft tire so it will wear out faster than others. I like it over other tires.

Tires are on. Haven't ridden much due to storms. Just down the road a couple miles between the heavy rains they feel great. Hopefully, riding this afternoon. I'll let you know more. Going crazy to get on the road!

I've ridden with the Shinko's in the rain many times and they are as grippy in the wet as any tire I've ridden. They are grippy tire overall while having a faster wear rate is a tradeoff with Vmax and not having as many tire choices. Also, the Shinko price is a big selling point vs. other brands.

speaking of tires, i didn't do much of a comparison but they're pretty fairly priced on bikebandit right now. about $125 shipped for the pair.

Put in about 100 miles yesterday afternoon. I am very happy with the Shinko's in the OEM sizes. I don't believe the 170 rear would have fit without the washer swap and I didn't want the tire offset. There is only about 1/4" clearance with the 150.
The bike handles much better. I can't really give a fair comparison to the dunlops because they were so dry rotted. The Shinkos seem to hook up great as it will lift the front tire now on hard acceleration. I am much more confident in the corners. I don't push to hard, but I don't mind leaning it over now. They are very smooth, only took about 1.5 ounces on the rear and a little over an ounce on the front.
If you have any questions, I will be glad to try to answer.
Thanks again for all the replies and advice!

Back