Turn signals and running lights?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Just was wondering if everything on the bike must be plugged in for things to work? Every since I installed the smaller running lights/turn signals I've had gremlins, you hook up the ground up front and the red signal wire to the bike's turn signal wire and the signal would flash normally but if you tried to hook up the other wire to the running lights it would instantly pop the fuse.. just cheap eBay dual filament turn signals non led cause I didn't want to mess with resistors.. I got tired of messing with it and just kept the running lights disconnected and used the signals but I bought another set of signals (still cheap eBay dual filament non led) and want to make everything work but now it doesn't pop the fuse but just have running lights, unhook the running lights and I have turn signals.. stupid damn Yamaha wiring... Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

May be in the eBay signals. I bought some $20 three wire polished aluminum ones on eBay with normal two filament bulbs. Didn't want the resistor hassle either. Bulbs would pop when turned on. Signals were really cheap inside. Connections broke lose easily. Signal flashed erratically. Could it be a short in the signal(s)? Doubt it is in the Yamaha wiring. Crappy Chinese quality control... :bang head:

May be in the eBay signals. I bought some $20 three wire polished aluminum ones on eBay with normal two filament bulbs. Didn't want the resistor hassle either. Bulbs would pop when turned on. Signals were really cheap inside. Connections broke lose easily. Signal flashed erratically. Could it be a short in the signal(s)? Doubt it is in the Yamaha wiring. Crappy Chinese quality control... :bang head:

I'd tend to agree with you but I've had 3 sets now and all did the same thing but you make a hell of a point because with the factory ones it never did it... I gave away my factory ones so I can't test it now.. I might try pulling apart the signals and seeing what I can find there, thanks bud!

First set sounds like they had a problem. On the second set, even though you are using regular bulbs you still may have a resistance problem. If these bulbs are smaller than OEM its possible. I would try to remove the turn signal indicator bulb "dummy light" from the gauge pod and see if that makes them work right. If it does you will need to install a couple diodes in the circuit. They only cost $1 at radio shack.

First set sounds like they had a problem. On the second set, even though you are using regular bulbs you still may have a resistance problem. If these bulbs are smaller than OEM its possible. I would try to remove the turn signal indicator bulb "dummy light" from the gauge pod and see if that makes them work right. If it does you will need to install a couple diodes in the circuit. They only cost $1 at radio shack.

Another great idea! Thanks!

Caution Note *** NOT ALL BLACK wires are GROUNDS! Open the signal and see what is going where to determine which wire is which. Some use a black with white wire for the ground!

That is the same that I use on my bike, I have had an issue finding a replacement bulbs for them tho.. but they do work perfectly...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Caution Note *** NOT ALL BLACK wires are GROUNDS! Open the signal and see what is going where to determine which wire is which. Some use a black with white wire for the ground!

This ended up being the problem, Kyle actually told me about it last night and I checked it out today and got it all working right.. thanks guys!

I got a set of those small oval signals for the Max. Not LED's (because I didn't want to dick around with resistors...). Anyway, I hook everything up, and they flash really fast. I put the stock signals on front, and things went back to normal. I realize these are using smaller low wattage bulbs, but I figured they'd work, being filament bulbs. So, I ordered a set of 6 ohm 50 watt resistors to go into the wiring to the rears, where there's a bit more room to mount them. Some vendors recommend a resistor for each signal with LED's, but I figure the tungsten bulbs, even though they are lower wattage than the original, ought to do OK with just one resistor per side. Sound like a good plan?

Ya know - I was perfectly happy with a stone stock Max for 25 years. Then I met you guys, and you introduced me to the Monkey! I owe you a beer at Thunder!

^ Bill, Resistors shouldn't be needed.
Try switching the wires around and see if you can get them working properly first.

Dennis:
Did that, no joy. They're only 2 wire signals, as I don't use the running light feature of the fronts - back in the day I tried to save every watt I could to keep the battery charged. Never changed back when I got it working properly....

Back