Want to trade some 12" Progressive 440 rear shocks for some 13" aftermarket shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
I've got a set of Progressive 440 rear shocks that are 12" eye to eye. I wanna get my bike up a lil higher for a lil better handling. These were great til i put on the USD and the 17" rear wheel/tire, now the whole bike is lower than i want it. The shocks have 190lb springs from what i was told. The front and rear was originally setup for a 180-200lb rider. They are in good condition. I would consider trading for a set of 13" long aftermarket shocks. Might consider 12.5" but want 13's if possible.

Re: Want to trade some 12" Progressive 440 rear shocks for some 13" aftermarket shock

Awesome info ,...I too was wondering how the rear shock length was going to be affected with the USD front. Haven t installed one yet ,but it's definitely in the future.I too want a lower profile ,but not slammed. I still want to have the option of agility.

Re: Want to trade some 12" Progressive 440 rear shocks for some 13" aftermarket shock

Well, the front height would depend on the USD length. They come in various lengths so that would be the determining factor. I'm using 99 ZX-9 forks and they are something like 1.5" lower. The 99 and earlier ZX-9 forks use the small 20mm axle and they also used a mechanical speedo so this was easy to use on the V-max.

Would you ,..(or any one for that matter), Know if all the R1 forks are digital speedo?...or are the older ones cable?
This will prolly be the USD set up i go with,..just to keep every thing Yammy.

Have an '03 R1 front end on my Max from Cycle One Off that is set up to use the stock speedo. If you talk to Tom and tell him you want to retain the stock speedo drive he will make up the spacers etc. that you will need. Really easy install for sure. Lowered the front of my Max ~2", but handles on rails. Have 12.5" Progressive 418's on the rear so the rear is a wee bit lowered, but not too much.

Sweet,..thx for the info. What size are your wheels?,..stock?

I am running 18" RC wheels front and rear. They are a bit heavy, but look great.

Almost forgot that i'm running the 17" ZX9 front wheel, so that helped in lowering the front too.

Back