what do you guys think of this

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheapest bike I have right now is a 550 vision which is actually a great bike but it's very tall in the saddle!

I had a Vision back in the day and it was a mechanical nightmare. I guess if you can work out the kinks in it, not a bad bike, but I wouldn't call it "great' by any stretch of the imagination. I can think of a dozen similar early 80's Japanese bikes I'd rather have, but to each his own. Here's a good write up on the Vision, just thought I'd share!

The XZ550 was the first Yamaha model to feature automotive-style downdraft carburetors with the air cleaner box mounted atop the carburetors, as opposed to most motorcycles' sidedraft carburetors with their side-mounted air cleaners. While downdraft carburetors flow air into the engine more efficiently than sidedraft carburetors, the height of the carburetors and their airbox required Yamaha to design a large tunnel into the bottom of the gas tank. While the tank holds 17 liters(4.5 gallons) of fuel, it looks much larger thanks to the tunnel and suggests that the bike is top-heavy, which it is not.
The XZ550 has a water-cooled engine. At the time, most water-cooled motorcycle engines had fins, intended to suggest the cooling fins on air-cooled engines, cast into their cylinder heads. While fins are absolutely necessary on an air-cooled engine ? they increase the surface area of the head, hence improve cooling?they serve no function on a water-cooled engine. By leaving the fins off the XZ550's engine, it simplified the engine's manufacturing process, reduced the amount of metal needed to make the cylinders, and lowered the cost of the engine without affecting its functionality.
The Yamaha Vision was originally conceived in the late 1970s when motorcycling was at its peak, and spent three years in development, being overseen by a small group of designers and enthusiasts rather than "committee think". Several high profile external design houses contributed to the design of the XZ550 including GK Design Associates for design, and reputedly Cosworth for the engine and Porsche for the final drive. The initial models were designed to be a performance bike and GK's goal was "to make it into the most advanced super sport bike in terms of both styling and riding performance" The XZ550 succeeded on both fronts, its comfort on long rides and veritable torque-monster engine matched by its distinctive deep V-Twin exhaust beat and neck-snapping performance. Sales were poor and it was not until the bike was re-invented as a touring bike in 1983 that sales picked up, although not enough to see the bike surviving. The bike was considered "rather B.M.W.-like", in reference to its touring credentials, and "the most European motorcycle from Japan in recent memory."
Unfortunately, producing an entirely new product from scratch is never without initial problems, and the Vision suffered from a few. An off-idle carburetion quirk, known as the "Vision stumble", meant the first year machines were prone to initial stuttering on part and full-throttle takeoff. The "Vision stumble" problem, after months of research, was finally solved by racer Marc Salvisberg, who later started Factory Pro Tuning. The problem, it seemed, wasn't a Yamaha development problem at all, but was actually a lean spot, just off idle, caused by what appeared to be residual casting sand that filled the "off-idle" bleed holes at the throttle butterfly plate in the "Weber style" Mikuni carb. That information was immediately relayed to Yamaha U.S., where it was relayed to Japan and verified. The 1983 models carbureted essentially flawlessly.
In the 1982 model, lightning quick steering was considered too extreme for some, though was highly appreciated by sporting riders. The weight distribution was 55/45 and the lightly loaded front end benefited from the installation of a slightly larger than usual front tire. The front suspension was described as too soft, the rear, even with an adjustable shock, difficult to dial in. On the electrical side, the Vision had "a well deserved reputation for eating starters and stators."
The US 1983 model Vision fixed most of the faults, with an "improved" carburetor eliminating the "stumble", air adjustable front forks firming up the ride and improving the roadholding. A full fairing, with adjustable hot and cold air vents, effectively shielded the rider. With the improved carburetor and minor internal adjustments, the engine's strengths became apparent: it had enormous torque at all revs, and would pull from idle in top gear. Despite the 10,000 R.P.M. redline, the oversquare bore and short stroke kept the piston speed low, with the result that the engine always sounded relaxed, even at peak revs. The exhaust note has been compared to that of a Ferrari Testarossa (which came out several years later.) With its unique "hang support" frame, whereby the engine is suspended beneath the frame for lighter weight, the Vision's performance and roadholding were far ahead of its time. Unfortunately, so too was the cost. The motorcycling boom of the Seventies was already receding before the XZ550 hit the showroom floors, and rival motorcycle companies offered cheaper motorcycles without the quirks. The model was discontinued from sale in the U.S. in 1983, though it maintains cult status online. In current times, the XZ550 has been found to be one of the easiest motorcycles to modify to the owner's personal taste. There are "bobbers", full touring bikes, cafe racers, and general sport bikes in all areas of the world. The online forum for the Vision,www.ridersofvision.net, is a very informative and most complete location for finding repair information, rider help, ride reports and information known to this date.

I recall the Vision release & the engineering report that it was 1/4 of a Cosworth DFV V8, not too-hard to justify, as the engines were reputedly designed by Cosworth. Yes, there was a lot of complaining about the off-idle stumble for the 1st year and unfortunately by the time they fixed it the damage was done. They should have hung in there but they let it die. Maybe if they kept the engine and made it more appealing in style to other companies' offerings? You see them for sale occasionally for not much $. I think it would be a good commuter bike like a CX500 Honda.

It is on the top 50 MPG bikes of all time for 600cc and smaller (which is probably also good for larger then that). I want to say it's in the top 10. This one is a relatively clean original. Going to be asking $1200 for it.

I've always wondered if the Vison's v-twin shares any dna with the Venture/V-max. The appearance is similar, seemingly more than just familial.

At one point I was fairly convinced that it was half a Max with a shorter bore and/or stroke, but I've never taken the time to check the specs for a side to side comparison.

Even with these thoughts aside, I have often thought about getting a Vision. They come from that time when the Big Four would take chances, and do something different. They were the original Japanese middle weight sporting V-twin. Honda tried it with the VT500 Ascot (a bit underpowered with it's Shadow 500 motor), again with the Hawk GT (now a 650 verion of the Shadow 500 motor, but with a great chassis), and then Suzuki finally won the masses over with the SV650.

But the Vison had Yamaha's early 80's 'futurebike' look, and it always stood out for me.

Now I want one again!

Does anyone know how closely if at all the Max is related to the Vison?

Im looking for a bike for my gf. She has only driven clutch a few times so there's alot of work ahead of us. Firematic found me this earlier this week. Seems like a reasonable bike

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/3017499746.html

The problem is I found this one that was posted the beginning of may

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/3001350416.html

They are the same bike no dout in my mind. Jamestown is about an hr and a half from welsville...

I called the guy who sold the bike first.. he said there was no problems with it.. the front tire was a little dry rotted and I asked if it was a qualifier front tire he said yes.. the one im going to look like has a qualifier on it. The handlebars are identical and the exhaust. I don't mind people turning a quick buck but come on asking 2x what u paid for it. BS! doesn't look like he did any work to it.. he wont take lower than 1200. If I drive the hr and a half I will be very upfront about all the info I found and I wont mind giving 1k. Because it a good starter bike. I don't know if its even worth it what do u guys think??
No sure what your budget is but personally I wouldn't buy this bike. It's a 550 so on the highway it will be laboring a bit. I know you said it is for your GF but if I were you I would by something bigger, like this
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/3047903564.html you will both enjoy it much more. I just think the 550 will get old very quickly at least with the V65 you she could cruise next to you on the freeway and it won't sound like the enging is about to jump out of the frame.

No sure what your budget is but personally I wouldn't buy this bike. It's a 550 so on the highway it will be laboring a bit. I know you said it is for your GF but if I were you I would by something bigger, like this
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/3047903564.html you will both enjoy it much more. I just think the 550 will get old very quickly at least with the V65 you she could cruise next to you on the freeway and it won't sound like the enging is about to jump out of the frame.

No way. She has only driven clutch twice. And never road a bike. That bike is way to big for a starter bike.. I never ride the highway I live in the country. I need something smaller than a 600.

It is on the top 50 MPG bikes of all time for 600cc and smaller (which is probably also good for larger then that). I want to say it's in the top 10. This one is a relatively clean original. Going to be asking $1200 for it.

Thanks Sean. If u lived closer id consider it. But ur pritty far away lol

That's a tariff bike when they downsized their 750's because H-D went to the FTC and whined, "The Japanese are dumping bikes here for less than they cost to make to steal the bike market from us and drive us out of business!" The FTC listened, & slapped the big tariffs on anything >700 cc.

I had the XV920 w/the shaft drive & LCD instrumentation. It had a lot of guts for a V-twin, but they had a problematic design which caused deteriorating starter function (affected the 750's too). Once upon a time, "no problem!" because you could eschew the 'electric foot' and use the kickstarter, but these had none. The bendix engagement would wear the ring gear into which it engaged & it was a costly repair, it's why these early '81/2 750's & the 920's sell so-cheaply now. Once they have the problem, it costs more in labor than the fixed bike is worth.

They are good bikes apart from this, which is like saying, "except for spreading typhoid, Mary was a good gal!"

Now the good news: by the time of this engine, the fix had been done to the starter mechanism. I believe there is a way to fix the earlier design to the newer system, but that is also expensive to do. The advantage is that once done, the old design problem is gone, not just repaired to re-occur as things wear. But w/this 700 cc bike, you don't have to worry.

If these bikes were for sale for the same price, and in the same shape, personally, I would choose the 550 KZ every time. As I have stated elsewhere, I have owned KZ 550's, 750's and multiple 1000's, and for the money they are hard to beat, usually reliable, and they don't have the reputation of eating electrical components like the Suzuki 4's did.

The 550 will eat the Virago 750 for lunch and spit-out Yamaha Route 66 250's as it cleans its metaphorical teeth. So what do you think the 700 has as a chance against the KZ550? I rode mine in south Florida traffic on I-95 and never felt as-though it was underpowered in the least, but on a 700 air-cooled twin, to an experienced rider, you surely will express that sentiment. Here in south Florida, it's not like vigilant enforcement states like IL and OH or TX where you get bagged for +5 mph. Here, you do 85 and the PD LEO on his/her way home in their take-home flashes their lights at you to move-over, not pull-over!

The Virago or the KZ should serve well to allow a neophyte rider to develop her skills. Believe me, the KZ550 will be able to serve as a daily rider for far-longer than will the Virago, if she becomes experienced-enough and proficient-enough to want to stretch her legs. Plus the acceleration of the 550 compared to the 700 twin is no-contest at any point. Well, maybe from 40 mph in top gear, because I believe the 550 may have 6 gears, it's been 20+ years since I passed-mine along to my brother. So you get to experience the thrill of triple-downshifting to make that bike sing to redline as you see the Virago recede into the rear-view mirrors.

Back