Yet Another Starter Clutch Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
About 1 1/2 years ago I replaced my starter clutch. This was the first major work I've ever done to any motorcycle I've ever owned. With the help of this forum and Yukon Dave's write-up I was able to complete the task anss was happy with the result. I did use red locktite and peened the the bolt as best as I could.

Now for the rest of the story. About a month ago something strange happened. After stopping to fill up the tank after a short ride, when I pressed the start button the motor turned over but it seemed a bit slower than normal and then it made a 'thunk' as is the start clutch lost it hold. It make 2 thunks then started. This happened a second time, again only when the engine was hot. When cold I never experienced this issue. Trying to delay any issues I bought a gas can so I could fill the tank after rides at home thus avoiding hot starts until off season. This plan failed last week when I did try to start the bike again after a short ride and heard the 'bag of rocks' sound.

This last week I start getting ready to replace the started clutch (with more confidence than before), I got the flywheel off yesterday and expected to see the bolts loose or threads stripped like the last time but that is not what I found. This time everything looked good. While the bolts where not tight they were not loose. Obviously I screwed something up with the red locktite since it did not take much effort to remove the bolt. I did not see any cracks or other issues with the starter clutch so I'm confused what is happening. I did buy the heavy duty ebay starter clutch this time but before I install it an button everything up I was wonders what else I should check. Could the bolts not being a torque specs cause the issues I experienced ?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Doug

Very interested in this as I have the box of rocks sound too (intermittently so far) and when I took it to my mechanic they checked the starter clutch and said it looked fine and didn’t do anything to fix it. I still have the awful sound and my next step is to just replace the starter clutch with the HD eBay one. My understanding is that the starter clutch is the only possible source of this racket(?).

1 question, whats the voltage of the battery?

I'm running a lithium battery. Voltage between the terminals is 13.4 volts. Voltage at idle last time I checked a few months ago was 14.4 volt. All the gears from starter to the flywheel look good, no signs of any damage. I well check the connections to the starter to ensure they are clean.

The problem may be the heavy duty ebay starter clutch. Did you replace the ring gear? Flat spots around the surface can cause issues as well.

The problem may be the heavy duty ebay starter clutch. Did you replace the ring gear? Flat spots around the surface can cause issues as well.

Hi Sean, the starter clutch I originally installed was the standard 3 roller. The New I was planning on installing has 6. What gear is the ring gear and I'll check it out and post a picture. Since I have the bike it my shop would it make sense to swap out my starter motor? I think they changed to a 4 pole in 1996 and mine is a 94. Do I need to remove the radiator to do replacement of the starter motor?

Doug

The ring gear is what fits into the starter clutch. Many people overlook replacing it at the same time though that's what does all the engagement work with the rollers. Our HD version is a lot more expensive but not the cheap solutions like ebay that aren't always good fixes.

The radiator can stay on to replace the starter motor but you do need to remove the hose pipe from the thermostat housing.

Thanks for the info on the starter. I'll post a picture of the ring gear when I get a chance. I did not see any flat spots but my eyes are not the best. What do you charge for a replacement ?

Here is a picture of the ring gear. Let me know if you see something I missed.

Attachments

• DSC_0804.jpg
    DSC_0804.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 55
You will have to feel the surface that contacts the rollers to see how smooth and round it is. Not sure what the spec allowance is but they can develop flat spots.

If Zilla ever develops a starter clutch problem, I will absolutely use Sean's kit and fix it once and for all..

I realize this is a old thread:
I had to replace my starter clutch due to bag of rocks crap.

It looked fine. I replaced it anyway and found a hairline crack in it. Undetectable but was compromised.

Yep. The crack expands under load when you can't see it happening. We do have heavy duty alternatives for anyone wanting something permanent.

Yep. The crack expands under load when you can't see it happening. We do have heavy duty alternatives for anyone wanting something permanent.
Just pulled the cover of a buddy's first gen VMax and about to fight the flywheel. What are the heavy duty alternatives?

I got one Seans HD units and fixed all of my starter problems. After the factory techs assured me that was not the problem. I have had zero issues once it was installed properly.

Latest posts

Back