Replacing Carb Diaphragms

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
Ok... some of you may have know this, but I didn't.
I have a set of carbs that need a rebuild. I thought the diaphragms could be salvaged, but it turned out they were too hard. As many of you know, there is a guy (Rob) on eBay that sells just the diaphragms (4 for around $70 or $80). I think I figured out a way to EASILY replace them. I made a pretty crappy video of it, but I think you can get the idea. You can keep your original slides and this should save you some serious $$ for future rebuilds. I may ask Rob if he would do a VMF discount if we place orders through him over e-mail.... or Maybe we (or I) could do a mass order.

Anyway, check out my shotty vid and let me know what you all think!

Cheers,

Jeff

P.S.... did someone say "Sticky"?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_LpxYHi5Zg

Dude, that is awesome! I say go ahead and see if he's willing to do a VMF discount.

Well done Jeff!

I wish I'd known this a couple months ago. I replaced my diaphragms without taking the slides apart, it was quite stressful and very time consuming. I ended up using a thin stainless steel washer that I sanded and polished the sharp edges off of to coerce the new diaphragm into it's little slot. I only wish the replacement rubbers were laminated with fabric like the originals. I really don't think the new ones will last very long but time will tell and, I can replace them four times and still save $$ over buying new slide assemblies. Thats for the elightenment and video. Jay

I don't see anything wrong with the video. This is a major break through...

awesome work jeff. question, if you re-epoxy then it would probably never come apart again yes?

awesome work jeff. question, if you re-epoxy then it would probably never come apart again yes?

Epoxy may not be the best solution, maybe a dab of silicone would work... I'm not sure what glues would work best in a fuel-rich environment.

Thanks,

Jeff

...maybe a dab of silicone would work... I'm not sure what glues would work best in a fuel-rich environment.

Thanks,

Jeff

Definately NOT silicone! It degrades with petrochemicals. A coupla drops of monkey-snot (Gorilla Glue) should do the trick.

This is a fantastic discovery. I just changed all 4 slides and diaphragms and it cost me $200 shipped. Which I thought was a good deal. Went back to look and the price in now $75 per slide. If I can just replace the diaphragms then I now have an extra set of slides to play with. Cool :eusa_dance::clapping:If someone can confirm what type of glue to use then this sticky would be complete...;)

Here is his e-mail:
MOTOALLPARTS
[email protected]

Here is his latest auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270657850725&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

Tell him Jeff sent you! :punk:
I also want to tell or WARN everyone that I did crack a slide while trying to brake the inner steel piece loose. This is NOT 100% fool-proof, so please be careful and try very light taps to get started.

I just received my diaphragms in the mail, and hope to try them out this weekend.

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff, If I'm looking at this right, you tap the screwdriver on the large white plastic screw that holds the needle in the slide?

Do you think a wooden dowel, thin peice of broom handle or similar item which has an OD close to the ID of the slide would help spread the impact over a wider area?

Do you remove the screw, spring & needle? :ummm:

This is a big step toward carb rehab at a reasonable price....good thinking and thanks for sharing! :thumbs up:

I would think a piece of pvc pipe that fit inside the slide and had a large enough ID to go over the needle assembly would work best?

I would think a piece of pvc pipe that fit inside the slide and had a large enough ID to go over the needle assembly would work best?

That would do it too. I'm thinking something that will rest on all the flat surface there is at the bottom of the slide.

Why not remove the needle assembly leaving the shoulder the screw sets on plus the 3 ribs to absorbe the impact?

Latest posts

Back