Go Back   Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum > Rides and Events > Ride/Event Pictures and Videos

Ride/Event Pictures and Videos Post all your pics and vids of your rides and events for all of us to enjoy!

2 Up for a Sunday Ride!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:59 PM

My VMax: 2006
My other bikes: Schwinn
Default 2 Up for a Sunday Ride!

Yesterday was beautiful here in Huntsville and the wife asked me to choose the destination for an afternoon ride. Last Sunday ride was to Lynchburg, TN. Nice ride and the little town square was stirring with lots of bikers...mainly our HD friends. But today I chose Lawrenceburg, TN so we headed North. We go RVing up there some so we thought we would check out Davy Crockett State Park and see if they had made any changes up there since we were there last.

Just above the TN line there was a group of 3 Harleys that we came up behind and they were easing thru a little town at the speed of lethargic. I followed them thru town hoping they would move along after we got out of the town limits. Wound up following them about 2 miles to the next town and had been noticing a line of cars and trucks behind me wanting these guys to move along also. I don't get why some bikers think everyone is interested in going 10-15 mph below the posted limits. Finally saw my chance and blew past them. Finally open road and a better view.

I noticed a little later that another bike was coming up behind us and caught up with us at a red light coming into Pulaski,TN. He pulled up next to us on a shiny Harley Sportster and his wife on the back too. He asked where we were headed and I told him Lawrenceburg. He said he knew a back way thru Amish country if we wanted to go. I said sure so we left the light following them. I could tell he was a seasoned rider and seemed like a nice guy. He would even give us some hand motions if a hard turn was coming up or if we were headed for some twisties.

I haven't really followed a bike through the curvy back country before but it was really a great ride. He obviously knew where he was going and was pushing kind of hard but not reckless. I had no problem keeping up unless it was a hard hairpin turn and trying not to scrape my belly pan. Being 2 up lowered the bike just a bit more than usual on the turns. Lots of Amish farms and little kids in straw-hats waving as we went by. Beautiful area to ride!We finally came to a main highway and he said they were headed to get fuel and hoped we enjoyed the ride. For sure we did and headed to Davy Crockett to see the falls and such.

Got home in the late afternoon and felt thoroughly happy and tired too. It was like a micro-vacation with no kids. I was very impressed that our anonymous Harley friends were gracious enough to show us a great route that we would have never found on our own. I need to return the favor to someone else if the opportunity presents itself in the future. I think most bikers are pretty good folks and have other biker's best interest in mind also. A good deed is usually not forgotten and it really made our weekend! Be safe and have fun out there guys!
Hope this wasn't too boring. If so you probably didn't get this far in the post...sorry anyway.

Re: 2 Up for a Sunday Ride!
Old 05-23-2016, 05:06 PM

My VMax: 2000 - "Thor's Hammer"
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award Purple Heart Event organizer award 
Total Awards: 3
Default Re: 2 Up for a Sunday Ride!

Great Story !!!
I ride with guys that ride everything from Yamaha's to Triumphs to Harleys and I always have a good time riding with them.

If you're NOT seeing the Oil Light, you're NOT riding it Right !

VMF Roadside Assistance Program:
T - Tools
W - Workspace
B - Room (or bed/couch/etc)
F - Food / beverages
R - Ride partner
G - Directions / guide to local attractions / resturants / etc.
Cell Phone: 716-536-8985

Old 05-23-2016, 05:06 PM

My VMax: 1997 silver
My other bikes: 1983 Honda V-65 Magna
Awards Showcase
The DOH! award 
Total Awards: 1

I thought it was a great story and am glad you had a good time!......................Tom.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:10 PM

My VMax: ..

Not boring at all. Great ride story. Thank you for sharing.

Luv me some Jack Daniels distillery tour whenever I go through Lynchburg.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:21 PM

My VMax: 1992 - "Redbone"
My other bikes: 2003 FZ-1 - "Lightning"
Awards Showcase
Mod Monkey Award of Posting Excellence (APE) Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 3

I liked the story, don't be bashful about posting anything as we love anything Vmax and motorcycles in general.
I went for a 200 miler yesterday and also saw a gaggle of Amish kids walking down the road from their farm, they all smiled and waved. I waved back and remembered that earlier in the day another gaggle of kids on bicycles waved at me too! Ah, to be young and dream of the day you own your own motorcycle!
VMOA #4942

Old 05-23-2016, 05:57 PM

Glad you guys enjoy these stories as much a I do. I could entertain myself for hours reading these forums and ...uh...actually I already do!

Old 05-23-2016, 06:24 PM

My VMax: 1992 Red-E Sparkle
My other bikes: FZR 1000, '67 Superhawk
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award Award of Posting Excellence (APE) 
Total Awards: 2

Yes, a great narrative, and also a good ride for the two of you on your bike and the four of you as an informal anonymous group. Isn't that what it's about, being able to enjoy the countryside and having enough trust in your riding partner on the other bike, that you followed him into the country? It sounds like he was taking good care to inform you of the road conditions. If you were scraping things on your bike, I can't help but believe that he was scraping worse on his two-up Sportster! Especially on the right side if he's got shotgun pipes, it doesn't take much to 'drag chrome.'

Old 05-23-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-medic View Post
Yes, a great narrative, and also a good ride for the two of you on your bike and the four of you as an informal anonymous group. Isn't that what it's about, being able to enjoy the countryside and having enough trust in your riding partner on the other bike, that you followed him into the country? It sounds like he was taking good care to inform you of the road conditions. If you were scraping things on your bike, I can't help but believe that he was scraping worse on his two-up Sportster! Especially on the right side if he's got shotgun pipes, it doesn't take much to 'drag chrome.'
True Dat!

Old 05-23-2016, 06:51 PM

My VMax: 2002

I too enjoyed reading your story, thanks for the post. It's a great thing when people get together because of the love of motorcyling and don't get caught up in all that brand loyalty crap!

I have been approached three times recently by the stereotypical Harley guy at gas stations because they saw me putting gas in my seat, lol. They were very interested to learn more about the Max and we ended up having some good conversations

Old 05-23-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubicon View Post
I too enjoyed reading your story, thanks for the post. It's a great thing when people get together because of the love of motorcyling and don't get caught up in all that brand loyalty crap!

I have been approached three times recently by the stereotypical Harley guy at gas stations because they saw me putting gas in my seat, lol. They were very interested to learn more about the Max and we ended up having some good conversations
Yeah that seems to happen quite a bit to me also. Of course I can talk to about anyone if they wanna talk. My wife always asks me when we leave the gas station or where ever..."How do you know that guy?" Then I say, "I don't...just met him." She just shakes her head and grins.

Tags
ride, sunday