Bolt caps for painting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find caps that will fit over the cap screws on the engine (so when i paint the engine, paint wont get on the cap screws) or is it even needed?

Thanks

Eric

Does anyone know where I can find caps that will fit over the cap screws on the engine (so when i paint the engine, paint wont get on the cap screws) or is it even needed?

Thanks

Eric

Very interested in this as I’ll be painting my engine in-frame soon. My game plan was to tape or Vaseline the stuff I didn’t want painted.

Blue painters tape.. Can be easily cut into what ever shape you need, and can be picked up today at your local hardware store.

Re-doing my rear caliper yesterday, and as you can see, its like that hot sauce,,
I used that sh-t every where.. :rofl_200:

Masking areas after paint.jpg

To avoid getting paint on my cap screws,, went to harbor freight and got some yellow heat srink tubing, (That was the only one that was closest to the cap head size).
I cut them about 1/2 inch long, then used a needle-nose pliers to stretch them open, just a touch. This allowed me to fit them over each bolt head. I made about 30 of them..
Prep work.jpgPrep work 2.jpg

Blue painters tape.. Can be easily cut into what ever shape you need, and can be picked up today at your local hardware store.

Re-doing my rear caliper yesterday, and as you can see, its like that hot sauce,,
I used that sh-t every where.. :rofl_200:

View attachment 58433

To avoid getting paint on my cap screws,, went to harbor freight and got some yellow heat srink tubing, (That was the only one that was closest to the cap head size).
I cut them about 1/2 inch long, then used a needle-nose pliers to stretch them open, just a touch. This allowed me to fit them over each bolt head. I made about 30 of them..
View attachment 58435View attachment 58434

That is a VERY good idea.
Thanks

No Prob.. I was a bit anal :biglaugh: and cut each one as strait as possible, just to make sure each one completely covered the cap at its base. If you cut them on an angle, it will leave a little gap. Nothing that you can really see unless you're looking for it..

The REAL reason I did this was to make sure that if I have to take a cover off, the paint would not chip as I removed a bolt. :bang head::damn angry:
If you're spraying the engine, you might want to stick a little wad of paper towel in the heat shrink, to keep the paint from hitting the heads of the bolts..
I hand painted mine, so it was easier to control,, but spraying looks way better.

Good luck..
Post some before and after shots..

Or, just paint them and replace them with one of my chrome stainless bolt kits after you get done paint it.

Latest posts

Back