videos

Go Back   Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum > First Generation VMax (1985 - 2007) Technical Forums > Electrical

Electrical Any electrical issues can be posted here

Re: Stator no good
Old 08-06-2018, 10:06 PM

My VMax: 1988 Red
Default Re: Stator no good

Update - I finished putting in the new stator and gasket, boy what a nightmare! All 3 of the stator bolts were basically stuck in the threads so all the philips heads got stripped so I had to use my trusty impact driver with a philips bit. I got them out but they were tough! So I ordered all new cover bolts (11) and (3) stator bolts all from Yamaha which cost me $55 bucks for 14 bolts! So I go to screw the new stator bolts in and they started getting harder to turn as I got to the bottom. So i used a big screw driver and got a good bite and I managed to break the head right of the bolt! WTF? brand new bolt too. I had to unscrew the other 2 bolts and lift the new stator up and using vise grips, slowly turned the stud until it backed out slowly. I got the stator screws all on then put the gasket on and put the starter gears back in the correct locations and closed the cover with the new bolts. The manual says to torque them to 89ft lbs. When I put my torque wrench on them 89ft lbs. seemed a little much and I was afraid to snap one of those bolts off so I backed off around 80 or so lbs. no leaks though! So my question is - I am getting only 12.5-13.0 volts at around 2,000 RPM is this normal?? My other bike I would get around 14.5 volts at light throttle. My battery is brand new so maybe it doesn't need much charging?? The bike seems to run a lot better but I am getting a misfire and backfiring going on so I think I may have a bad coil?? I am going to test it tomorrow according to the manual and see if it may be bad. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

Old 08-06-2018, 10:25 PM

Awards Showcase
Award of Posting Excellence (APE) Mod Monkey Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 3

Did you replace the voltage regulator? And you surely meant inch lbs and not foot lbs?
first site http://tinyurl.com/9d36u
main site http://www.MorleysMuscle.com
Muscle section of the forum http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=77
Facebook with a TON of pics: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ros...2488678?ref=ts

Bike and Cars: Too many to list!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:22 AM

Hi Sean, I got the voltage regulator from you, it was an upgrade to a newer one with the fins. And i'm pretty sure the manual said ft. lbs.

I'm just not sure why i'm still only getting 12.5-13.0 volts to the battery from the stator. Can it be something else? I checked (measured)the ground cable from the battery to the motor and it seems fine. The next thing is to measure the resistance of the rear coils, the ones near the battery. When i was moving the wires around (the ones on top of the battery)the bike would start running rough and sputter (backfire).

Old 08-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Sean you are correct, it was 89 inch lbs. not ft. lbs. I checked the Clymer manual again I'm used to working on cars. So should I back them off a little now? I took the bike for a short ride but it was sputtering and backfiring at low rpm and would almost stall, I had to rev it up first before i let out 1st gear. I just measured the rear coils and I am getting 13.8 - 19.3 ohms the manual says they should be 10.56-15.84 ohms @ 68 f but it was hot today at 93 degrees so I am not sure if the readings are good for the coils. I am in need of advice for my next step.....

Old 08-09-2018, 11:14 PM

Update - I took Sean's advice and today I cut about 1/2 inch off the rear spark plug wires and put them back in the coils. I changed the spark plugs and backed the air fuel mixture screws out about 1 turn for each carburetor, ........and Viola! I could instantly feel the difference in the throttle response with no sputtering or back firing going on! The bike is the smoothest and most responsive since I've owned the bike now. I love my Vmax again! I am also getting 13.2V to the battery at idle now. So Thank you to Sean and everyone else for your advice and instructions. This is a great site for an equally great bike! Now it's time to ride.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:06 AM

My VMax: 1992 - "Redbone"
My other bikes: 2003 FZ-1 - "Lightning"
Awards Showcase
Mod Monkey Award of Posting Excellence (APE) Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 3

Glad to hear it's running good for you once again. This is a good troubleshooting blueprint for anybody with similar issues. Involving Sean Morley is a wise move!
VMOA #4942