2019 is out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to a dealership about 60 miles away (closest Vmax I could find). They were going to let me get it for $16,500 out the door. I didn't think it was that bad. But I am currently looking at a used 2010 that has been kept in imaculate condition. Hoping to pick it up in the next 2 weeks. I already bought my first mod for it. A 240 wide wheel kit. The M109 spoiled me, and I just love the wide rear.

I was looking into the 240 when I bought mine, but everything for the kit was discontinued, or unavailable. Could I have gotten it, it would be on my bike. $16,500 isn't bad for a new one. Few years ago I was looking at a left over 14, they had a tag on it for $15,500. Short on money then, so I had to walk away. I figured if the time was right everything would work out. Posted my 97 up on CL, 2 weeks later it was sold for what I was asking, and I did all the financing stuff online, and went from there. 3 weeks later I went and picked it up. Month after that I went back for the first 500 mile service.

I ordered a 2019 today and they say it should be here by mid November. Hopefully they are right.
I'm trading my 2014 Renegade 800R in to ease the cost and the taxes.
I'm pretty excited and predict it will be a long wait. When it comes in I will help them unbox the crate and may help/watch it go together.
I predict the weather will be nice for riding until it shows up. LOL

I ordered a 2019 today and they say it should be here by mid November. Hopefully they are right.
I'm trading my 2014 Renegade 800R in to ease the cost and the taxes.
I'm pretty excited and predict it will be a long wait. When it comes in I will help them unbox the crate and may help/watch it go together.
I predict the weather will be nice for riding until it shows up. LOL

Nice, good deal. Congrats. It's like waiting for Christmas, I kept myself busy and tried not to think about it much. But all I did after work was watch vmax videos on YouTube, and searched Google allot lol. I was hoping to catch mine bring uncrated, but I called them just after the senior tech got done test riding it. But, it was worth the wait. Don't fret about simple things, it might have some bugs, mine would stall every now and then at idle when I first got it, figured it was from everything being tight. Put some miles on it, and it went away. It's gonna have a low speed cruising surge, it's normal on the stock second gen. Allot of owners send the ECU to be reflashed, Tim Nash is the guru. Look on the Starvmax.com forum, it's all second gen. The oil is gonna get black quick, make sure it gets changed at 500 miles. Make sure to change the final drive oil also, and make sure the right oil goes back in, it has an antifoaming agent, and I believe it's the same as the fjr1300?? And I believe these two bikes have special cut gears that need that particular oil. But enjoy it when you get to ride, like I said it'll have a few bugs, but get some miles on it and see if they go away. Ride it like your gonna ride it, but don't redline it. No prolonged wot, I'd get mine into 7g range when accelerating 1st, and 2nd, try to stay out of 5th, don't lug it. It doesn't really like it under 3,000 rpm. I'd run 4th and I was constantly going from 4g to 6g rpm while riding, and engine brake when you can. Use 91 octane or higher. After the 500 miles just ride it. And again congrats!!!! Your gonna love it.

Nice, good deal. Congrats. It's like waiting for Christmas, I kept myself busy and tried not to think about it much. But all I did after work was watch vmax videos on YouTube, and searched Google allot lol. I was hoping to catch mine bring uncrated, but I called them just after the senior tech got done test riding it. But, it was worth the wait. Don't fret about simple things, it might have some bugs, mine would stall every now and then at idle when I first got it, figured it was from everything being tight. Put some miles on it, and it went away. It's gonna have a low speed cruising surge, it's normal on the stock second gen. Allot of owners send the ECU to be reflashed, Tim Nash is the guru. Look on the Starvmax.com forum, it's all second gen. The oil is gonna get black quick, make sure it gets changed at 500 miles. Make sure to change the final drive oil also, and make sure the right oil goes back in, it has an antifoaming agent, and I believe it's the same as the fjr1300?? And I believe these two bikes have special cut gears that need that particular oil. But enjoy it when you get to ride, like I said it'll have a few bugs, but get some miles on it and see if they go away. Ride it like your gonna ride it, but don't redline it. No prolonged wot, I'd get mine into 7g range when accelerating 1st, and 2nd, try to stay out of 5th, don't lug it. It doesn't really like it under 3,000 rpm. I'd run 4th and I was constantly going from 4g to 6g rpm while riding, and engine brake when you can. Use 91 octane or higher. After the 500 miles just ride it. And again congrats!!!! Your gonna love it.

Good stuff thanks, I always follow the manufacture recommendations on oil and services. Can you tell me the recommended service intervals? I'm curious on the Valve adjustments because that looks like it could be a big job. Also is it pretty easy to access everything for servicing like oil and filter, air filter,coolant, plugs?
I mount my own tires and was wondering the best way to raise the beast to get the wheels off. My other bikes have or had a center stand which made it easy but I don't think that is a option on the gen 2 is it?
Last question, how it it to keep clean. I will want to keep it clean and looking good and have never owned a matt finish before. My dealer says no wax or spray polish just soap and water. Does it clean up easy?

Good stuff thanks, I always follow the manufacture recommendations on oil and services. Can you tell me the recommended service intervals? I'm curious on the Valve adjustments because that looks like it could be a big job. Also is it pretty easy to access everything for servicing like oil and filter, air filter,coolant, plugs?
I mount my own tires and was wondering the best way to raise the beast to get the wheels off. My other bikes have or had a center stand which made it easy but I don't think that is a option on the gen 2 is it?
Last question, how it it to keep clean. I will want to keep it clean and looking good and have never owned a matt finish before. My dealer says no wax or spray polish just soap and water. Does it clean up easy?

Recommended services are every 6 months or every 4,000 miles. I was jus looking at my owners manual last night lol. Valve adjustment is every 20,000 I believe I'll have to look again. I've heard it is a job. Oil and filter are pretty easy, filter is up front on the left side, have to lay on the ground to see it, plug is easy on the right side. Air filter is a bit of a pain, the faux tank cover isn't as easy on these. 6 or 8 Allen head screws hold it on, plus the scoops have to come off. Battery is under there also. Spark plugs take a little bit. I only have 1800 miles on mine. I'm going by what I've read on the Star vmax site, and memory lol. Tires, not sure I actually have to replace my rear, (not from burnouts) the inner cord section and outer tread carcass separated and blew out from sidewall to sidewall while I was riding, just glad it did it on a straight and at low speed about 45-50mph. When I lowered the forks in the triple I used my engine hoist to pick the front up, and strapped the back down to the legs on the engine hoist. I think you could use a service Jack on the frame, or pick on the cat itself, it's mounted to the frame, only need to pick high enough to get the tire off the ground, and I believe the fender extension will have to come off also to get the tire out of the swing arm. My wife has a vstar 1100 classic I lifted it with a Jack on the frame, but I had to pull the rear fender because it swept down over the rear of the tire. It's a real pita to keep clean. I got a bottle of Yamaha matte paint cleaner, just spray it on, wipe it off. DO NOT USE SOAP WITH WAX, it Will Make it shine. Use a car wash with no wax. I use Maguire's car wash, it's purple in color and contains no wax, then I use a shammie towel to dry it (no water spots) and then use the Yamaha spray, gets rid off finger prints, hand smudges stuff like that, and after a few weeks of storage I use the spray helps get rid of that thin layer of dust from sitting. And if you run on a damp or wet road, be prepared to wash it after your ride, try not to let it sit for a long period of time dirty after riding in rain or on a wet road, some dirt stains, like red dirt, where I live. You could use rat wax, it's for matte paint. Have to buy that online though, I haven't found it locally. Only thing I found was that bottle of spray at the dealer, and I needed something then. I'll try that rat wax next. Any other questions feel free, lol. I've learned allot since owning a 2nd gen. Owners manual is worth reading. I believe the Star vmax site has a download version if you want to take a peek. I've heard the maintenance internals have changed from year to year.

Recommended services are every 6 months or every 4,000 miles. I was jus looking at my owners manual last night lol. Valve adjustment is every 20,000 I believe I'll have to look again. I've heard it is a job. Oil and filter are pretty easy, filter is up front on the left side, have to lay on the ground to see it, plug is easy on the right side. Air filter is a bit of a pain, the faux tank cover isn't as easy on these. 6 or 8 Allen head screws hold it on, plus the scoops have to come off. Battery is under there also. Spark plugs take a little bit. I only have 1800 miles on mine. I'm going by what I've read on the Star vmax site, and memory lol. Tires, not sure I actually have to replace my rear, (not from burnouts) the inner cord section and outer tread carcass separated and blew out from sidewall to sidewall while I was riding, just glad it did it on a straight and at low speed about 45-50mph. When I lowered the forks in the triple I used my engine hoist to pick the front up, and strapped the back down to the legs on the engine hoist. I think you could use a service Jack on the frame, or pick on the cat itself, it's mounted to the frame, only need to pick high enough to get the tire off the ground, and I believe the fender extension will have to come off also to get the tire out of the swing arm. My wife has a vstar 1100 classic I lifted it with a Jack on the frame, but I had to pull the rear fender because it swept down over the rear of the tire. It's a real pita to keep clean. I got a bottle of Yamaha matte paint cleaner, just spray it on, wipe it off. DO NOT USE SOAP WITH WAX, it Will Make it shine. Use a car wash with no wax. I use Maguire's car wash, it's purple in color and contains no wax, then I use a shammie towel to dry it (no water spots) and then use the Yamaha spray, gets rid off finger prints, hand smudges stuff like that, and after a few weeks of storage I use the spray helps get rid of that thin layer of dust from sitting. And if you run on a damp or wet road, be prepared to wash it after your ride, try not to let it sit for a long period of time dirty after riding in rain or on a wet road, some dirt stains, like red dirt, where I live. You could use rat wax, it's for matte paint. Have to buy that online though, I haven't found it locally. Only thing I found was that bottle of spray at the dealer, and I needed something then. I'll try that rat wax next. Any other questions feel free, lol. I've learned allot since owning a 2nd gen. Owners manual is worth reading. I believe the Star vmax site has a download version if you want to take a peek. I've heard the maintenance internals have changed from year to year.

Thanks for all the ino. I didn't even know they made a Matte cleaner, that is good to know. Many years ago I did auto detailing so I am a stickler on keeping my stuff looking as good as I can. To me it is part of the fun.
I did go online and look at the manual for the maintenance. 4000 mile oil changes are a bit soon compared to most but is about what I do on all my stuff.
Thanks for all the input it just adds to the suspense. :)

Yeah, I didn't know about the cleaner either until I researched it. Glad I did, lol. It's no different than the gloss clear coat. This is just a flat clear coat. The spray is just a cleaner/protectant for the matte finish, it's like adding wax to a glossy finish. Washes the same, it's not as fragile as people think, so don't be scared to wash it like a regular finish. But it shows everything, dirt, dust, finger prints, soap residue, water spots, any place water ran off and dried, lol. But it looks damn good all cleaned up!!! I like it because of no chrome, or shiny aluminum to polish. Oh yeah and no glossy clear coat to polish either lol. Wash, dry, spray, wipe and done.

So typical waxes and spray cleaners work ok?
Is this true for the entire bike or just some parts?

Yep, waxes and liquid car wash soap work fine. There are obviously some parts that shouldn't be waxed...but it's just as wax-friendly as my '09 was. I regularly wax the fenders and faux tank.

Come to think about it...I don't think I waxed the display in the faux tank. It may be iffy due to its roughened surface. But, that's all I can think of. (I'm at work and not near my bike.)

Hope that helps!

The '19 is the same color and specs as the '18 just like the '06 and '07 are the same. A last year of production indicator?
I think the SP MT-10 is going to replace MAX. The MT-10 looks like a wild machine and very up to date and 158HP with 80 plus torque and far lighter at well under 500 pounds. What do you all think?

I just bought a 2018 that was built in june of 2018...all black...couldn't be happier other than the fact that I wont be riding it until spring! Got a pretty good deal, the dealer came down to 15999 off the 17999. Pics!
max1.jpg max2.jpg max3.jpg max4.jpg max5.jpg max7.jpg

I just bought a 2018 that was built in june of 2018...all black...couldn't be happier other than the fact that I wont be riding it until spring! Got a pretty good deal, the dealer came down to 15999 off the 17999. Pics!

That's a beautiful bike, congrats! Great deal at that price....you did good.

You're going to love it.....it will be hard to wipe the smile off your face!

I think the SP MT-10 is going to replace MAX. The MT-10 looks like a wild machine and very up to date and 158HP with 80 plus torque and far lighter at well under 500 pounds. What do you all think?

that's a great bike but in a totally separate category than the vmax...the max is a heavyweight muscle bike with a shaft drive and huge seat. The mt10 is competing with a huge barrage of bikes from ALL manufacturers...the max competes with just a few. that being said, if Yamaha isn't making any money on the max theres no reason to keep it going.

Picked up my 2019 last night. Had 1 mile on it as I drove off and I got a whopping 7 on it now.
It will take awhile for the day to warm up so I can ride it. It is 29 F as I type this but hey it is supposed to hit 48 so I will be riding. :)

Back