Starter noise 2000 vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy1ear

Reaction score
Rode today and every time I started it I heard a clunking sound.
If it was a car I would say the starter solenoid was not fully engaging with the flywheel and is going out. Looked around on the forum and it looks like I have to pull the side covers off and inspect the starter clutch.
Does it sound like I am on the right track?

Thanks in advance.

If it sounds like a box of rocks being shaken up.....then yes you are on the right track. You most likely need to replace your starter clutch. A week or bad battery is often the cause so you should check your battery and charging system while your wrenching.

That's the infamous "Box Of Rocks" sound when the three screws around the starter clutch are loose. Check out Sean Morley's videos below, on how to attack that issue. I took this a bit further and cleaned the new bolts and holes with acetone, before putting red Loctite. I also let the Loctite setup for a full 24 hours BEFORE peening my bolts.. (I didn't want the bolts to shift at all during the peening process). Good luck with that.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw2uqNnRwCw

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePW96hG2Ojw

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf33AGRTZ6s

4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbOCIYl2pCA

I used the Harbor Freight Wheel Puller set.
HF wheel puller with case.jpg

For some reason, it only came with 2 of the needed 3 longer bolts, so I had to pick up another one from Lowes. Don't know who the f_ck thought that one up..

I used Harbor Freight heavy duty impact wrench to get the flywheel off..
Eletric Impact Wrench.jpg

It was incredibly strong.. I thought I would need to tap it with a 2lb hammer but it popped off. I only loosened the center bolt enough to allow it to get free.. I did'nt want the flywheel bouncing on the ground, to possibly damage the teeth on the ring gear..

You'll need 3 x the bolts.
bolts x 3.jpg

And the gasket.
Gasket crankcase cover - 1.jpg

I used to use Boats.net to get my parts list, but now they've changed to partzilla.com.

So I checked the voltage with the key on and off and it was 14.3 with key off and 12.9 with the key on. Hit starter and it went to 11.9 I think. Put jumpers on it and hit the starter button and had the same noise.
Next I pulled the sidecover and found that the 3 bolts appeared to be good. I cannot move them and the peens appear to be lined up to where they were originally peened.

The ring gear that slides into the clutch will move in and out a little but wont rock from side to side.
I put a lithium ion battery in it a few month back.

Any ideas?

Found this link handy

http://www.iowaz.info/cycle/vmaxstarterclutch.htm

Still sounds like your starter clutch needs to be pulled and inspected. Looking at it from the outside doesn't show you how much it engages when the starter motor spins. That sound you posted, sounds like the same thing I dealt with. If you say the screws are still tight, and the peens did not move, it's quite possible that you have a crack in the starter clutch which will keep the screws tight, but will not grab the crank correctly. Make sure you order replacement screws with the new clutch.

These engines are powerful.
You see that thin silver looking plate in video #3 when Sean flips the clutch upside down?.
When my clutch was loose, I stupidly revved the engine almost to the red zone, and that plate exploded.
Part of it flew into my pulser pickup coil and knocked it from its housing.
Needless to say, I no longer had any spark after that and was stranded.

Don't know if I'm going to pull it, have to rent a puller and buy an impact wrench.
Bolts aren't moving and the peen marks look like they are in the same place they were day one on all 3 bolts. Don't think it would crack the steel ring if it was screwed down tight.
Am thinking either low voltage or bad starter motor. Bought a booster pack for jump starting a car at Costco. Am going to hook it straight up to the starter and if it does the same thing I will go down the starter motor path. Think I will start googling starter motor symptoms.

Don't think it would crack the steel ring if it was screwed down tight.

Well, that sound you posted, sounds like the same thing many of us have heard, when our starter clutch started acting up.

My clutch was a little loose that day when I went riding. Note, it was tight enough for me to start the engine. Also, the brass-looking thick part of the clutch was not cracked at all. All rollers and springs was still in place. Just the steel plate gave way.. Figure that one out..:ummm:

Good luck with that..

This is what it looked like, when it exploded.. :biglaugh:

busted clutch plate.jpg

Thanks for the heads up D-Max2012.
I'm kinda old and I don't run it as hard as some do. My favorite Dirty Harry quote is "A man ought to know his limitations". If I ran it balls to the walls, even on occasion, I could see it breaking apart like it did for you. But i just don't run it that hard. Don"t have a impact wrench or a puller or i might have looked at it.
Will post back with whatever I find. I hope there isn't an "I told you so" in my future.

OK, so I looked at the starter and it seems good, so I am back to the clutch.
Got the Harbor Freight tools that were listed earlier in the post.
Am stuck getting the flywheel off.
Looked at the videos and trying it with the loosened nut strategy.
The puller is giving out in that the end is mushrooming and the threads are getting boogered up. I put a wrench on the 18mm nut so it wont tighten back up.

Even took a propane torch to the hub (not red hot). Banged on the flywheel with a rubber mallet a little. am about to spray some wd40 on it as penetrating oil to see if that helps.
Any Ideas?

Make sure the puller is as perfectly straight as possible. A couple of whacks with a heavy hammer with tension on the puller bolt, it should come off. Or just keep cranking until the puller explodes into fragments.

Last edited:
Got it. Went to Sears and got their harmonic balancer puller and a little heat and it popped off without the hammer.

Found 1 of the allen bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel could be turned easily after I put an allen wrench to it, the other 2 were tight.
I guess that is my problem?

Had a feeling something came loose.. You had the same sound that many of us have heard before. Make sure you replace those bolts.. They always feel like they can simply be re-tightened but in reality, the top portion of the threads normally gets worn down (stripped). When I replaced mine, I went an extra step and cleaned the new bolts, and the bolt holes with carb cleaner (acetone). After using RED thread locker (Locktite) on them, I let the Locktite setup for 24hours BEFORE peening the heads of the bolts into the flywheel. I didn't want to chance the bolts shifting at all, during the peening process. I really don't want to have to go back in there if I can avoid it.. So far, so good..

Glad you were able to get things sorted out..

Went to put it back together and saw the clutch had a hairline crack. Ordered a replacement and put it back together.
Last time I tried it started fine and I see no puddles underneath it, so success.
Thanks for the replies. Without this forum and the kind folks that give advice I would still be trying to figure it out.

Glad you got it all sorted out.. Soon it will be time to put her away for the winter :-(

Latest posts

Back