2019 is out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a pretty nice day and it took awhile to warm up. I managed to get a bit over 100 miles on her. I can tell I am going to love this bike.2019 IMG_1095.jpg
2019 IMG_1091.jpg 2019 IMG_1090.jpg

I got my new 2018 VMax last year because I think it looks awesome in black. The only thing I did was get a Corbin seat, install the Denali Soundbomb and added a hardwire for cell. Love it so far after 1k miles!

Hello forum. Been in serious negotiations with the owner of a 2014 VMAX in beautiful shape. While we haven't settled on a firm price yet, he's waiting for me and I'm waiting for him, I started to call dealerships about a new 2019. I live in New Jersey and I'm having one helluva time finding a 2019. Seems there are only two dealers with 100 miles that have one on the floor. When I queried as to why so few dealers have a VMAX on the floor three of them said the same thing. "It doesn't sell." Two of the dealers said that if they sell two VMAX's in a year they are doing well. That can't be good. Makes me wonder if Yamaha is considering doing away with the VMAX or is planning a major remodeling. I spoke with a dealer on a new 2019 and he was crazy anxious to get me in his dealership, gave me the MSRP of $17,999 but said he could easily get me into the low 15's. Remodeled be damned!!! I love today's VMAX.

If I bite on the 2019 what options do you think I should put on her. Is that 5 year warranty worth the money? I love the look of the 240 mm rear tire but does that tire hurt cornering? I too like the Denali Soundbomb and this site seems to really like the Corbin and Sean Morley seats. I'm 6'1" and 250 so a big seat is in my future. I want to wire the bike for a cell phone too.

Whatever you members think I'd love to hear. Appreciate the input.

Thanks Very Much,

Steve18643

Yamaha does not sell a ton of Vmax's and they don't make a ton either. Most dealers (around here anyway) don't carry them and you have to special order them. When I was looking here in Colorado there was 1 new 2018 in the state. I ended up getting a 2019 from a local dealer and had to order it. It was cool because I got to see it in the crate before it was assembled, it had 1 mile on it and only the tech had sat on it. I paid $16264.75 + tax. The dealer I bought it from wanted full price for the extended warranty and I said no and went to another Yamaha dealer and got the 4 year extension Yamaha YES warranty. So now I'm covered for 5 years and my cost was $650.00. To me it is worth it but I bet and hope I never need it. I only have 750 miles on it so far due to cold, snow and sandy roads. There are 2 things I don't like about the bike and one I knew before buying it. The fuel range sucks but I knew it would so no big deal. The mirrors I did not care for because I could not see behind me. Bar end mirrors are now on it and I they work good. If you can afford it make a deal and order a new one it is a great feeling and you will love the bike, if your not planning on touring on it.
Good luck and enjoy your journey.

IMG_1079.jpg 2019 IMG_1095.jpg

Drum Dog:

Thank you for the information. That sounds like the way to go on the warranty. Like you I want the confidence to know I have Yamaha behind my bike.
What do you think about the 240 rear tire. What options, if any, do you prefer.

Thanks Very Much
Steve18643

Drum Dog:

Thank you for the information. That sounds like the way to go on the warranty. Like you I want the confidence to know I have Yamaha behind my bike.
What do you think about the 240 rear tire. What options, if any, do you prefer.

Thanks Very Much
Steve18643

Yamaha discontinued the vmax last year, so now it's a "while supplies last". With stricter Euro emissions, Yamaha dropped the vmax after 2018. Hence the matte black model for 18&19. Good luck finding a 240. Yamaha discontinued the option. As far as I know they only offer the boulevard, or touring wind screen, and the passenger low profile back rest, and luggage rack. And for the boulevard, back rest and rack new are just under $1g. I got the 5 year, only because I basically got it for free. But I heard allot of owners never used there warranty. Bike is nearly bullet proof. The stock seat is very wide. I have a 32 inch inseam, and I cannot touch flat foot. As far as the 240, I've heard mixed reviews. Some say it hurt turn in response going into corners, and others say they notice no difference. But it does loose around 10 horse power at the wheel from the added weight. It's only cosmetic. Bar end mirrors are the most popular, because the factory mirrors suck. If you have wide shoulders, you won't be able to see behind you. I paid the sticker price on mine, and I got the boulevard wind screen, back rest, and luggage rack. I've got just over 2,000 miles. Overall, I think it was worth it. I'm more than pleased by how this 680 pound monster moves and handles. Absolutely no problem grinding the pegs, and it'll blow most anything you meet on the street out of the water. And if you do get one, be ready for the "stare". People are gonna rubber neck trying figure out what your riding, and allot of them are gonna figure it as a slow v twin, as it looks like one from the side.

Thank you for that information. Since your reply I've done a bit of reading about Yamaha discontinuing the VMAX. I'm sick about it. Clearly the environmental crowd are getting there way. Now I'm going to really press the two dealers in my area that have 18's and 19's for a good price.
Thanks again for your input its greatly appreciated.

Steve

Thank you for that information. Since your reply I've done a bit of reading about Yamaha discontinuing the VMAX. I'm sick about it. Clearly the environmental crowd are getting there way. Now I'm going to really press the two dealers in my area that have 18's and 19's for a good price.
Thanks again for your input its greatly appreciated.

Steve

Yeah, when I found out, I went and got one. I bit the bullet, I wanted a brand new bike and I wanted a second gen. And being blacked out is what did it. I had a 97 Mac that was silver on black, and I was slowly blacking out the chrome. Just the upgrades on the gen 2 are worth it. Better brakes, better suspension setup. Bigger forks. It's a nimble, monster to me anyways. I've always had big bikes. I felt big on the gen 1 and was really never comfy on it. I cried watching it go down the road, but I used the money for a dp on the gen 2 so it was bitter Sweet. But now after putting miles on the gen 2, I'm glad I got it. I'll help as much as I can with info. But you do want to go talk to the dealer, I did all mine over the internet, with the hours I worked, and being short staffed I couldn't get the time to go talk to a dealer. You can talk them down, I paid msrp. But like I said they gave me the 5 year warranty pretty much free. So I'm not complaining. Two dealers 2 hours away in different directions had one near me, but I went to the nearest dealer, and ordered it. I didn't want one that's been sitting on a showroom. Who knows how many people sat on it, and how many scratches are on it from god knows what getting brushed up against it lol. But that's just me, I'm very selfish, and OCD at times. I wish you luck.

Rebeltaz83:
Good morning and thank you for the reply. I went into Hanover Powersports in Hanover New Jersey yesterday and was able to put my hands on a 2019 VMAX. I see what you mean. That bike is slammin!! The dealer did tell me that Yamaha was not making the bike anymore and that 2019 was going to be the last year of production. He told me that while msrp is $17,999.00 but that Yamaha was giving a $2,000.00 reduction off the bike bringing it down to $15,999.00. If I pushed him I think i could have walked out of there with the bike at $15,000.00 flat.
When I sat on the bike I felt that the seat had me unusually close to the tank so I went to speak to Hanover's parts department. I wanted to know if Yamaha, Corbin or anyone made a seat for the VMAX that brought the riders backrest back a couple of inches. The parts guy told me Yamaha had nothing but that Corbin might be the answer. I called Corbin on their 800-538-7035 number. The Corbin rep told me their stock seat for the bike was the same dimensions as the Yamaha seat. The rep also said that while Corbin could make a custom seat I would need to have the bike in California for the fitting and installation. I live in New Jersey and that seemed a bit odd to me. The dimensions for the bike are well known why would he need the bike. My dimensions I could see but the bike? Any idea where I could get a custom seat made? Everything on the bike was perfect but that damn seat was bringing my right foot to far past the pegs.
Thanks for the information buddy.

Steve R.

Rebeltaz83:
Good morning and thank you for the reply. I went into Hanover Powersports in Hanover New Jersey yesterday and was able to put my hands on a 2019 VMAX. I see what you mean. That bike is slammin!! The dealer did tell me that Yamaha was not making the bike anymore and that 2019 was going to be the last year of production. He told me that while msrp is $17,999.00 but that Yamaha was giving a $2,000.00 reduction off the bike bringing it down to $15,999.00. If I pushed him I think i could have walked out of there with the bike at $15,000.00 flat.
When I sat on the bike I felt that the seat had me unusually close to the tank so I went to speak to Hanover's parts department. I wanted to know if Yamaha, Corbin or anyone made a seat for the VMAX that brought the riders backrest back a couple of inches. The parts guy told me Yamaha had nothing but that Corbin might be the answer. I called Corbin on their 800-538-7035 number. The Corbin rep told me their stock seat for the bike was the same dimensions as the Yamaha seat. The rep also said that while Corbin could make a custom seat I would need to have the bike in California for the fitting and installation. I live in New Jersey and that seemed a bit odd to me. The dimensions for the bike are well known why would he need the bike. My dimensions I could see but the bike? Any idea where I could get a custom seat made? Everything on the bike was perfect but that damn seat was bringing my right foot to far past the pegs.
Thanks for the information buddy.

Steve R.

For a custom seat, I could see them needing the bike for fitment. I don't know how they could move the backrest any further back without covering up the gas cap. On the left side of the rear fender is the latch to release that backrest, and it flips up, revieling the gas cap. Like the gen 1 it fills under the seat. There are after market peg relocating kits available. But I don't know how far they move the peg. I know some members used them to install quick shifters.
Corbin is as far as I know the only after market seat available for the 2nd gen.
You could try making an account on the starvmax.com forum it's dedicated specifically to 2nd gen vmax. I looked around on there for about 4 months before I bought my 2nd gen. And as you found out pics. Do the blacked out 18&19 vmax no Justice lol. There is so much more detail that the camera doesn't pick up.
I bought a clear tank pad to cover up the faux tank cover because your 100% right about being so close to it. Yamaha discontinued the vmax tank pad as well. But they still make the vmax specific cover lol.
Aftermarket there is parts available, but not allot. Mufflers are pretty common. There is only 1, 4 to 1 exhaust available. 1 or 2 decat pipes available. 1 that reflashes the ECU for better rideability, or for any upgrades done to the exhaust, or air box. I cannot say it enough, but do not install an exhaust without an ECU reflash. Slip on mufflers are ok, but adding a decat or full system requires a reflash. The left rear cylinder runs leaner than the other 3 from the factory. His name is Tim, he owns gurued gear. He is highly recommended. I'm sending mine out in a few weeks so I can have full power of this beast. Full power is restricted until your above 35 or 40 mph. And it has a lean surge from the factory when your cruising at low speed. The reflash eliminates that as well. Speed is restricted to 132mph. The reflash eliminates that as well lol. Bar end mirrors are a popular upgrade. I can see why. The stock mirrors don't go wide enough to see directly behind you with out leaning or twisting. But overall the bike is magnificent. You just have to make it yours. But ride it first, put some miles on it see what you think needs tweaking and go from there. Everybody has different setups to accommodate what they like. I ran my factory mirrors out as far as I dare go, and I can see behind me, I don't like the look of the bar end mirrors. Mines pretty much stock, I threw in a K&N air filter, and I removed the restrictor, and I'm sending my ECU out and that's all I'm doing to it. Maybe in a year or two I'll do a decat, they sound mean with the stock mufflers and a decat.

Last edited:
Rebeltaz83:
Thank you for taking the time to respond so specifically. I've written and email to Sean Morley regarding his custom seats for big men. There are quite a few riders on this site that have very good things to say about his custom seats.
Right now I'm torn between a new VMAX and a 2014 bike I saw that was immaculate. That owner and I are going back and forth about price. I'll let you know how it works out.
Again thank you for all the information.

Rebeltaz83:
Thank you for taking the time to respond so specifically. I've written and email to Sean Morley regarding his custom seats for big men. There are quite a few riders on this site that have very good things to say about his custom seats.
Right now I'm torn between a new VMAX and a 2014 bike I saw that was immaculate. That owner and I are going back and forth about price. I'll let you know how it works out.
Again thank you for all the information.

Nothing wrong with going used. If it has upgrades that are highly sought after I'd seriously consider the 14. It's less money and time you have to put into it. Only reason I went new was the look of the matte black. And very little chrome, I'm not a huge fan of chrome. Sunlight hits parts just right it'll blind you while riding, I hate that. And I always wanted a new bike, and being the last of the second gens I bought a new one. Unless it was ran low on oil, these things are bullet proof. But if the dealer would consider $15,000 I'd highly consider unless the owner of the 14 wants around $10,000. I've seen second gens going for anything between $14,000 and $9,500, With mods. It's just a weigh of the options, and personal preference. What ever you feel is best.

The owner of the 2014 is asking $10k. I offered $9k and was willing to split the difference. He's still pondering it. The bike is stock and mint. He did add the shortened clutch and brake levers. Any suggestions about what I might be careful of during my next inspection of the bike? It rides beautifully starts in a second and sounds great. The more I talk about it the more I want that bike.

Any add ons?? Besides the levers. Windscreen, passenger backrest, luggage rack, saddlebags. Check the tires. Oem are Bridgestones. Anything been done to it? double d clutch mod? Rick's retainer? Regular maintnance been done? Final drive oil been changed? Check the date on the tires also, by looking at the final 4 numbers of the dot number, they will be inside a little oval. The first 2 are the week of the year and the last 2 are the year. Example- 0319 tire was made the 3rd week of 2019. They should coincide with the year of the bike if they haven't been changed. I'm not really aware of any major problems of the gen 2, except for the 09s had a recall for the oil pump, and wire harness. If you can get the VIN, and check it with a dealer for any recalls. If it's been serviced by the dealer, they have those records as well. Right now it just depends on how much you want to spend. $10,000 for a 5 year old with 7k miles. Vs. $15,000 for a new bike, with a 1 year warranty. Unless you're dead set on the 19 like I was. I'd go with the 14, cheaper. Only difference is color. Both have 200hp and both have 123lb. Ft. Torque.

Last edited:
The only add on was the levers. The owner told me he was the second owner and that he has only put a couple of hundred miles on the bike since he purchased it in 2017. I ran the bike and it seemed to run fine and I've called his service location which did state he has maintained the bike well. The tires are something I need to look at. Thank you for breaking down that tire code for me. While I really liked the 2019 the color scheme on the 2014 is what I prefer. I spoke with Sean Morley earlier today and he thought if the bike looks clean that $10k was a good price. Sean and I also spoke about moving or changing the seat. He thought the Yamaha VMAX stiletto seat would have worked nicely for me but that Yamaha no longer made that seat. He thought it could might still be found or that he could modify another seat for me. He was a real gentlemen. He had an enormous amount of information about the VMAX. As you have been he was very willing to impart that information to me. You could tell he loves the model. His enthusiasm and respect for the bike was contagious.

The only add on was the levers. The owner told me he was the second owner and that he has only put a couple of hundred miles on the bike since he purchased it in 2017. I ran the bike and it seemed to run fine and I've called his service location which did state he has maintained the bike well. The tires are something I need to look at. Thank you for breaking down that tire code for me. While I really liked the 2019 the color scheme on the 2014 is what I prefer. I spoke with Sean Morley earlier today and he thought if the bike looks clean that $10k was a good price. Sean and I also spoke about moving or changing the seat. He thought the Yamaha VMAX stiletto seat would have worked nicely for me but that Yamaha no longer made that seat. He thought it could might still be found or that he could modify another seat for me. He was a real gentlemen. He had an enormous amount of information about the VMAX. As you have been he was very willing to impart that information to me. You could tell he loves the model. His enthusiasm and respect for the bike was contagious.

Yeah, sadly Yamaha discontinued allot of stuff for the vmax. Sean is a stand up guy. I got clutch parts for my gen 1 from him . Between him and Tim at gurued gear there isn't anything they can't do. I agree with him on the 14. Unless it's been severely neglected you shouldn't have any problems with it. Sounds like it just needs to ridden.

Latest posts

Back