Go Back   Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum > First Generation VMax (1985 - 2007) Technical Forums > User Mods

User Mods Show us the mods you have done to your VMax and detail what you did!

Re: oil catch can project
Old 08-17-2018, 02:57 PM

Default Re: oil catch can project

What I did with my stock airbox a longggg time ago, was to remove the T fittings and turn them sideways. They no longer lead into the velocity stacks. They just dump to the sides, but still into the box.

I had noticed the oil residue down the carb stacks. I hated that and thought it was kind of bad to be getting oil directly down and into the carbs and on the slides (and into the pilot air jets). But I knew I wanted the vent in the airbox as well, so I'd have some vacuum pull from the box to relieve crankcase pressures.

I think I had to trim a bit of a tab on the T's to make them plug in sideways. I also put in blocking plugs into the holes left in the velocity stacks. Been running that way for years. Every so often when I pull carbs for maintenance, I dump out just the small bit of oil that accumulates in the box. It's never a lot though, and just holds to the front part of the airbox. Never even had enough to drip out the front vent hold in the bottom of the box.

I probably have pictures of my mod somewhere on my laptop at home.

Vinnie

Re: oil catch can project
Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 AM

My VMax: 1992 - "Redbone"
My other bikes: 2003 FZ-1 - "Lightning"
Awards Showcase
Mod Monkey Award of Posting Excellence (APE) Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 3
Default Re: oil catch can project

If I am understanding your setup correctly it would probably work if the small air filter was inside of the air box so it would get a vacuum pull from the carbs. The carbs pulling a vacuum on the crankcase is the biggest advantage for this setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2501 View Post
thanks everybody,
I'm just coming back after several months (...and mods )to my oil catch can project.
So, to summarize here is what I learned ( please coorect me if I'm wrong) :

1- an oil catch can will give almost no benefits if standard air filter is used but anyway I have a Dyno 3000 ECU, a K&N single filter and a stage 1 , so my Max is not realy "standard". I will give it a try.

2- to route the crankcase tube and the "air breather " tube ( I don't know how to call it.... I'm referring th the Breather kit sold at exactrep) to a single oil can with an air filter will remove the "vaacum advantage" as stated from Sean.

so, right now I was thinking to something different.

first of all , let's divide the 2 thighs :

a oil can for the crankcase and eventually a breather filter

the breather tube will be more or less similar to the exactrep product. Maybe smaller or with a better quality tube, but the meaning wil be the same, and it will be left alone without any connection to the oil catch can.
A single tube with an air filter at the end. No more than this.

regarding the crankcase ( and this is the question to you all ) what if I remove the original rubber hoose and replace it with a new one with a PCV in the middle?
One end of the hoose goes into the crankcase ( that already have a pcv valve ,I know) and the other end goes into a oil catch can with a small air filter on top.

Will this configuration be more effective or it is just a waste of time and money?
VMOA #4942

Tags
catch, oil, project