Went back to the 1/4

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
Made it back to the 1/4 mile track friday. Got 5 runs in. First I have to say its quite humbling to race the 1/4. There were 4 other bikes, the slowest of which ran mid 9's at 140+. I'm still working out my carb tuning so I really didn't know what to expect. The best I could pull off was an 11.50 at 118 mph, with a 1.87 60 ft time. The last time I was at the dyno it showed 103 HP. since then I dropped the mains from 147.5 to 145's. The dyno still showed rich with the 147.5's. I did some comparisons with times/MPH before the muscle kit. I ran the same 7.40 1/8 but with just the pipe. my MPH was 95. With the muscle kit it was 98 MPH. In the 1/4 all the runs from friday were between 117/118 MPH. The best MPH before the kit was 121. I can't help but feel I'm strangling it on top. Instead of dropping the mains, should I try getting more air to it?

I have a question....and strictly a question....there are air correctors in the carbs? The gen 2 filter made into the air box top should provide all of the air that you need.

This is one thing that happened to me. The PO of my bike at one time had the air box off....and instead of pushing the air box all of the way on before tightening the air box tubes that go to the carbs....one was tightened up without being on all of the way. So after that, one of the tubes was always a bit kinked into the carb throat.

Made it back to the 1/4 mile track friday. Got 5 runs in. First I have to say its quite humbling to race the 1/4. There were 4 other bikes, the slowest of which ran mid 9's at 140+. I'm still working out my carb tuning so I really didn't know what to expect. The best I could pull off was an 11.50 at 118 mph, with a 1.87 60 ft time. The last time I was at the dyno it showed 103 HP. since then I dropped the mains from 147.5 to 145's. The dyno still showed rich with the 147.5's. I did some comparisons with times/MPH before the muscle kit. I ran the same 7.40 1/8 but with just the pipe. my MPH was 95. With the muscle kit it was 98 MPH. In the 1/4 all the runs from friday were between 117/118 MPH. The best MPH before the kit was 121. I can't help but feel I'm strangling it on top. Instead of dropping the mains, should I try getting more air to it?

What's your hp since you installed the muscle kit?

What's your hp since you installed the muscle kit?

The 103 is with the muscle kit. That's the disconnect. Dyno showed that I am running pig rich. It's not the muscle kit, its up to me to dial it in. I'm 15 or 20 HP lower than the average guy with the kit. I can't help but think I'm missing some glaring issue.

Something is not working right though the MPH isn't bad (for around here but bad for your before/after compare). Did you make sure all cylinders are firing? Use a temp/radar gun to see if one or more pipes is cold.

Back