Clutch never fully disengages

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How weird, well i left the clutch cover off so ill pull the pressure plate and give it a look tonight. Could you see the gap even with the pressure plate still bolted on?

clutch7.jpg

There is a mark cast into the pressure plate that must be aligned with the single dot on the inner clutch basket. See photo above.

You can see the dot cast into the pressure plate and the small dot on the inner basket in the photo below.
IMG_0030.jpg

Could you see the gap even with the pressure plate still bolted on?
Yes that was the problem, even after I put the bolts in there was still a gap between the pressure plate and first friction.

And as shown in the pictures posted by Mike, the dots need to be properly aligned.

As in the 6 bolts werent tight enough when you put the pressure plate back on? I went until the bolts stopped into their clutch basket arms but didnt actually crank on em. Figured the stock torque spec was basically wrist tight

Also what was the issue like when it happened for you?

You said hand tight before and that won't work. They will slip-7lbs is not much but it is needed to prevent slippage. I put oem clutches from boats.net and i am almost positive the last plate I put in was a hair thinner than the other 6- they had it marked and it had a different part number than the other 6--
1st plate to go in is 1/2plate---
PLATE, CLUTCH 1
26H-16324-00-00

Last one to go on ---1-PLATE, FRICTION 2
26H-16331-01-00

6-PLATE, CLUTCH 1
26H-16324-00-00)

^ Blax, That's because yours is an 1985:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1985/V%20MAX%201200%20-%20VMX12N/CLUTCH/parts.html
and his is 2001:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2001/V-MAX - VMX1200N/CLUTCH/parts.html
They did used to have different parts numbers and were slightly different parts.
But the newer years all use the same Steel and Friction plates except for the 1/2 friction plate of course.

I see Dennis, #8 is in a completely different place on an '85 than the 2001-there is also 1 extra clutch plate on later models.
I'm still trying to figure out why they put a clutch plate on first then a seat then a ring on the earlier models?:confused2:

^ I can only guess but I think that 1st steel plate on the older models must have been intended to add a bit more slip to smooth out the shifting.

Back