brake and clutch master replacement question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TB99Max

Reaction score
I'm looking for some options for both. I prefer the OEM looking ones and not the sport bike looking ones that have the big circle reservoir sticking up. I'm also wanting some replacement levers, the thick ones and wanted to know what kind as far as figment because there are so many universal ones out there

I've looked at boats.net and Ron Ayres Yamaha for online parts, and today, boats.net is cheaper than Ron Ayres for front brake and clutch master cylinders, and the clutch slave cylinder.

Many people seem to have fitment and function issues with the aftermarket stuff. I just go with OEM, and spend the extra money on my English doily collection.

If you recall this type of painting, you're probably well-over age 50.

ClickHandler.ashx

What does that paint have to do with this??

Rzwanink.... thanks!

I made my comment on your question about other substitutes for OEM master cylinders and levers.

The following comment was just poking fun at what money you could save, by not buying some ill-fitting, non-performing 'improvement' for the OEM equipment. What would you do with the money and time you'd save by not fitting a crummy aftermarket product? Why I'd spend it on my other hobby, collecting doilies!

In the 1970's there was a popular style of vehicle painting that had its origins in the 1960's. Custom painters would use a piece of cotton/linen lace as a stencil, and paint a panel or stripes on a body part of whatever they were consigned to paint. If you see that style on an old bike, for instance, it just might be a vintage paint job. It became so-popular, that companies made decals that owners could stick-onto their vehicles, 'just-like' the custom paint designs. I think Cal Custom was one of the manufacturers. They also made 'dinner-plate' open-sided air cleaners, chrome barefoot accelerator pedals, matching brake pedals and foot-operated dimmer switches, and other such cheap bolt-ons that American kids could and did buy by the hundreds of thousands, to make their Nova different from their neighbor's. Speed shops sold a lot more Cal Custom vehicle dress-up pieces like that roll of 'lace paint striping' than they ever did intake manifolds from Edelbrock, Offenhauser, or any other manufacturer.

Try googling 'free-thought association' and see what you read/find.

If you tried the 'search' function, you might have found the eight pages of questions and comments similar to the one you asked. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm suggesting there are resources available if you choose to invest the time and effort. Would you like to know what type of oil to use? :ummm:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/search.php?searchid=1636650

What does that paint have to do with this??

Rzwanink.... thanks!

You're not telling me what to do but you want to just be a smart ass right! If I did just use the search function what would guys like you have to do with their time then?!

I'm sorry you feel that way, you're welcome to contribute whatever you choose to which helps further our enjoyment of working on our bikes. I encourage you to write a technical article on what you've recently done that may prove to answer some questions other members may have been asking themselves about something on their bikes. You know, like a problem they've been trying to fathom, a repair they need to undertake, or something that makes their bike function better.

Since you're delving into master cylinder replacements, you should be aware of the effect different piston diameters have on the performance of your brakes. I think that would be of-interest in your current area of research, and the offer of material related to this aspect of avoiding making an expensive mistake by not having an understanding of the engineering considerations which go into choosing a properly-sized master cylinder, based upon the other components in your braking system. There is no 'smart-ass' intent here, just an interest in helping you to arrive at an informed decision based on sound engineering principles, rather than "hey it fits," which is only one small piece of the research that you need to do before making changes to your braking system. Poorly-considered modifications could mean your brakes aren't going to perform as-needed in an emergency. Then I could be seeing you professionally, if you had an accident, and 911 came.

Since you got a comment on the use of the FJR master cylinders, you may find this to be of-interest: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2364&highlight=master+cylinders

And another: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=292&highlight=master+cylinders

This guy's site is well-worth your perusal, and if you have any questions after reading this, I'm sure there are people here who can help you to arrive at an informed decision: http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm It will help you to understand the effects of master cylinder bore, stroke volume, number of calipers, number of pistons in those calipers, and more. Perhaps after digesting all of this, and making your decisions about what direction you choose to take, once you've got some time on the setup, you can write a technical submittal, and help others looking at the same questions, but who are not yet as-far along as you've come.

Good luck with your chosen modifications, and happy reading.

You're not telling me what to do but you want to just be a smart ass right! If I did just use the search function what would guys like you have to do with their time then?!

Latest posts

Back