Front brake "feel"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93max

Reaction score
How "should" my front brake feel at the lever?
I have new braided lines to install but it feels pretty weak.
I have to give it a lot of pull to get anything out of it.
I'm not use to this feeling and I'm using the rear quite often.
Coming off my 06 cr 250 which will stand up on the front wheel if I give it the same amount of pull.
I would think it should feel at least grabby.
Thoughts?

Wish you were closer and we could just swap out for a few miles. I've wondered the same. I have 6 pistons and Brembo RCS Master Cylinder on my 96 and it hauls to a stop about as well as my SV650 did. My 89 Venture Royale and the 88 Max stop about the same taking into account for the heft of the Venture. The 88 has the 4 pot calipers and later model front end with some old HH pads. All have firm levers.

Always wanted to jump on a newer stock VMax to get a feel for it. There are several for sale around here but don't want to waste anyone's time just to joy ride.

With steel braided lines stock MC, and stock lever, you should only have about an inch or 2 of travel before the lever stops because its firm.

Do you have aftermarket calipers.....etc?

Have you bleed the lines lately?

The problem with stock lines is that after a while they will deteriorate internally, and expand, so full pressure doesnt go to the caliper.

How "should" my front brake feel at the lever?
I have new braided lines to install but it feels pretty weak.
I have to give it a lot of pull to get anything out of it.
I'm not use to this feeling and I'm using the rear quite often.
Coming off my 06 cr 250 which will stand up on the front wheel if I give it the same amount of pull.
I would think it should feel at least grabby.
Thoughts?

With braided lines, the master and calipers in good working order and the brakes properly bled, you should have a nice firm lever feel. The brakes will grab hard and not feel soft in any way.

If you have a soft lever it could be any of the above mentioned not being correct or could also be brake pads contaminated with fork oil or brake fluid.

Haven't done the lines yet but look like that's my next move.
The lever feels firm but for the amount of pressure , doesn't equal stopping distance.
Does that make any sense?

Haven't done the lines yet but look like that's my next move.
The lever feels firm but for the amount of pressure , doesn't equal stopping distance.
Does that make any sense?

I would check your brake pads for any contamination.

If your are going to change them I highly recommend EBC HH pads or equivalent.

Back