Pipes,jetting and air box mods good for only 10 HP ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still doing my reading, correct me if I'm wrong but a stone stock bike dynos, between 105 and 110 and a four into one with jetting and intake mods only 120 HP? Doesn't seem like much for$1200

Yes, that's about right.

Yamaha did a good job of extracting everything they could from the vmax engine.

There are no cheap and easy ways to gain HP on this bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You've got to take into account it's already over 100hp/liter to begin with. Plus think about the weight you take off by swapping out the heavy stock muffler.

Jet it and maybe slip on's and enjoy it.
Save the 1200 towards a gen 2

This is my plan.
I'm going to sent the carbs out to DannyMax and Possibly not even the slip on's.
Kinda like the stock look 4/2 and sound.
Don't care for the 4/1 look.
In my mind, it doesn't look balanced.
That's it.
It's a fun ride the way it is.
I'm not going to over invest in it or ruin a 11000mi bike either.
It is however a magnet for other bikers.
Doesn't matter where I go, other bikers come up to me and start talking about it.

Think of the HP gains in a percentage. 10-12 HP increase with header and jet kit is a 8-10 percent increase in HP. That means a car making 400 HP would get a 40 HP increase which is huge for a car and takes a lot of money too. Unless you do something like a turbo or nitrous.

Sounds about right for just about any bike except the 1st Gen FZ1 and ZRX1200.

Throw a $1000 at those bikes and get 25-30 horses.

The biggest difference is that the FZ1(I've had 4 of them) is a detuned version of the early R1, so getting some of that power back is easier. An Ivan's jet kit will get you 8hp which puts you at 132 or so hp, with the stock exhaust - for a mere $120. Hard to beat that. Same with the ZRX - it has the overachieving ZX11 as an ancestor.

Still doing my reading, correct me if I'm wrong but a stone stock bike dynos, between 105 and 110 and a four into one with jetting and intake mods only 120 HP? Doesn't seem like much for$1200

yep, pretty sad, you can do better than that with Mark's 4-2 exhaust plus keep the center stand, Morley's airbox mod & jetting, you are high side of 124 hp/ 80 lbs tq.

Shimming the Y up is a cheap way to go. From there, a Morley kit, or a stage 7 which gets rid of the box all together. And many variants. A full exhaust is needed to gain any benefit from after market kits/parts.

My "y" has been removed and a k&n fitted in the airbox - should I look for a "y"?
Anyone in the UK got one?

20+ years later and this exact same topic still comes up. Sean is right. 10% gain is HUGE. Stop looking at the HP peak. Its the TORQUE improvement. As soon as I caught wind that the Gen II was coming, I sold my 98 to a guy in PA for 9500 I think in 2003/4. Just didn't realize it would be another 5 years before they started taking orders. So I built a 192 RWHP ZRX1224. This is were I met Sean at Thompsonville Dragway in Ohio.

Again, in my GEN 1 days, I tried everything I could find. NOTHING MADE MORE POWER than the Kerker. Period. Found out about a guy making custom "Kerker" mufflers that were WAY more quiet. VMOA member 20 years ago. IF you insist on staying with a Gen I, GET THE JET KIT from Factory Pro in Caleefornia. Y off. Use a good air filter. I stopped using KN shit after what I saw it did to my Kawasaki VF700 ATV. I now use DNA exclusively in Bikes. AFe in cars. Twin Air Foam in Off Road. Trickiest thing I contended with was off idle needle response. That was playing with air jets behind the slide covers and removing a few coils from the slide springs. I am not nor do I have the time to explain air box pressure differential and slide theory. But your just adjusting for the reduction in vacuum across the carb's throat. Once you get that right, Its a "roll on" monster. Well, back in "its" day.

again, the Kerker 4-2-1 had the BEST TORQUE. That peak number doesn't mean crap. However, the Kerker STILL had the best peak HP as well. ;)

Pictures of evolution. Many bikes left out though....

Attachments

• Vmax Ad Picture.JPG
    Vmax Ad Picture.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 39
  • ZRX1224.JPG
    ZRX1224.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 2016 Vmax.jpg
    2016 Vmax.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Horsing around with power
I think 10lbs is a hp converter 20lbs? rear inner fender, center stand, small drag bars,
no pass. pegs, lightweight exhaust/slip-on wt, be may is another 10 lbs may get you 3-4hp
The rims are heavy? grab bar?
So strip that girl down naked
Vboost, I thinks a gain of 10% so add on/off switch. Or stage 7 has the always pipe, no butterfly maybe 10hp under 6200rpm
I am thinkin with less weight and constant boost total guess 13-15 hp
Then jet kit and air filters may get you some more hp
Just a wild guess over a few beers
Dale Walker did a drag strip article "Takin it to the Nines " detailing his version of the Vmax. Mad Max in Connecticut built some wild maxed out machines.

Hi
I am new to this site. I recently moved from OZ to Canada and just bought (today) my 3rd vmax. A 2002. I always had a Kerker 4-2-1 on the other bikes and really liked the sound and umpf.....
Does anyone know where I can get one for not too much $$$?
Thanks

Back