MK1 1985-1989 Upgrades?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackieBass

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering who know what kind of upgrades can bolt straight onto MK1 V Max 1200?
Mine is 1989 Jap import and wondering what can I upgrade on it as a straight swap bolt on mod?
Especially brakes - can I use some different calipers with the existing disc and mounts?
Please let me know,
Much appreciated.
Thanks

I'm just the 1st to tell you to ask Sean Morley about his Suzuki brake swap for the early-model front end. See his banner ad at the top of the page. It uses a different mount adapter to adapt the Suzuki brakes to your stock fork legs.

Progressive springs for the forks, a fork brace, and better rear shocks will help your handling. RICOR or YSS cartridge emulators will help the front end damping. There are other manufacturers for both front and rear improvements.

My suggestion is to get a decent headlight if you ride at night. The stock headlamp probably won't fit any of the LED bulbs, it's too-shallow. You probably could fit a ddm HID bulb and driver, the driver probably would have to be mounted behind the steering head, they sell cords to do that. The easiest is to use a Sylvania Silverstar ultra or something similar. I prefer a larger-diameter headlamp bucket, like a 7". EMGO sells those, you need to buy a pair of ears which clamp to your downtubes to mount the lamp. You will need a 41 mm size pair of ears, I suggest ones that have rubber inserts and which use two bolts per ear, rather than the ones which do not have rubber inserts, and only use 1 bolt to hold them to the downtube. It's vibration protection.

My opinion is that the #1 biggest improvement you can make to any VMax is to convert to radial tires, it's not cheap, but the handling will improve greatly, and your choice of rubber will be better. Search on here for more info.

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 18 X 5.5 inch wheel 001.jpg
    18 X 5.5 inch wheel 001.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 10
  • headlight-Superbrace.jpg
    headlight-Superbrace.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Hlight.3.JPG
    Hlight.3.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Hlight.6 forkbrace.JPG
    Hlight.6 forkbrace.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Hlight.8 forkbrace.JPG
    Hlight.8 forkbrace.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 10
  • VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 002.jpg
    VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 002.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 10
  • VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 001.jpg
    VMax wheel 17 in. X 5.5 in 001.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 9
I can indeed help you with any of those items from your wish list. I have the hayabusa brake upgrades as well as other upgrades like wheels and performance parts. Best to email me at [email protected]

Latest posts

Back